MelodieCuffin

Sweeties Foal Watch It's A Colt! 5/20 Scary Update But Baby Is Improving.

The vet checked her and thinks the foal could be further along. Sweetie is weight taped at 1200 she was 1146

just 4 weeks ago so baby is growing. He gave us a due date in 3 weeks since last baby was 344 days. Her tail head is getting very loose much more than last week. Slight change in udder no milk but he said her vulva is pinker than when he saw her 2 weeks ago. She looks like she is starting to v, she never really got a distinctive v last time so hard to tell.

Some pics

s6mwk3.jpg

nyd3zr.jpg

xga3dc.jpg

I have a soft spot in my heart for paints or pinto's... can't wait to see your baby but I hope it cooks long enough for ya.

Still looks like her udder has some filling out to do. When it looks like it's going to burst at the seams is usually when they are really close. She looks good though.

{{{{HFV}}}}

Last night we put her in the foaling stall just to be on the safe side. We did have a big scare over the weekend.

Saturday eve around 5pm the temp had dipped into the 40's from friday being 80 degrees. She is all shedded out and bernie (barn manager ) found her shivering in her round pen. She said shivering from head to toe, no rain just colder and windy.

She put her in her stall and called the vet who said to just keep her in the stall with fresh bedding. Take her temp every hour til normal.

She is fine, I saw her yesterday and this morning. She was a bit ticked she could not go back outside but she is being pampered by all the barn boarders, owners and of course me. Vet tech came out yesterday to check on her and said to keep her in for the next couple days especially since we have a north eastern storm on its way.

He thinks with our weird weather we have been in the 70's for about 2 weeks now and the dip just threw her system.

Edited by red neck cowgurl

She'll get over not getting out. Spiffy always gets mad at me when I put her in the barn. Lol!

Aww poor girl! {{{HFV}}} and I bet she's soaking up all the attention!

Soaking it up an absolutely loving it. If anything proves she is the diva she thinks she is!

Sweetie got her feet done yesterday. Our farrier was shocked in how big she was! Amazing how big in 8 weeks horses can get. Anywho she did give a bit of a problem i think because of feeling imbalanced. I would have waited but the farrier is hard to schedule and she had a few chips starting. I think she was waiting on her mani-pedi before letting a baby come. Today we are at day 329, I think we have at least another week or so but it is getting closer. I will get pics next saturday to check her difference.

I don't have no pics today, went to quickly check on her before I went off to a tack and horse auction with the barn owner. She also rescues horses and invited me to come along. I will get some tommorow. I took a quick peak at the udders and definitely bagged. Look pretty full but will post pics tommorow afternoon.

I do have a question for those of you who keep the stud at home with you. Cowboy is newlyh gelded Since dec) and normally a perfect angel. The last few days they said he is a bit hyper, my dh said he remembered him being spazzy right before she had the baby last time. Do the studs get worked up like this??? Sweetie and him prior to being moved to boarding when we sold our farm was very married. If they weren't pastured together they were near the fence line with each other. I had another mare then and he could not have cared less when she was in heat or when she was around him. He was very attached to sweetie. He was very possessive of her though gelded the first couple of months at boarding. They had to house them in different areas of the barn. His trainer today even thought he was more spooky than normal, especially when sweetie walked near him in the barn. The last couple of months he would winny but not be spazzy. The vet was at the barn today checking on one of the other horses and said physically he is fine. Any thoughts??

My studdly boy doesn't act any different when I've had mares foal. His stall is attached outside our barn and has contact through a little window. During the days he has his own field not right next to the girls but close enough he can watch his herd (even if he doesn't realize he can't have any of the 4 girls we have :rolleye0014:) the only time he gets worked up is if we move the horse trailer (loaded or not) or if the girls disappear and he can't see them. Each horse is different so maybe since they have such a strong bond, he knows?

When Spiffy had Dude, Drifter was in the stud pen up by the house (maybe 150-200 feet away from the barnlot), so he didn't really show any signs of her getting ready to foal. My dad's mare, on the other hand, would not leave my mare alone (hence why Spiffy got put in the barnlot). I don't think she even changed her behavior before Spiffy foaled. Maybe now that Drifter and Spiffy are a bit closer (emotionally) he might show signs of her getting ready to foal. :confused0024: Although for 1-2 weeks in May (starting the 19th) Drifter will be in the stud pen again with a mare coming for breeding. Dude might show signs though, even though all of my ponies are quite laid back about almost everything. I guess it would depend on the horse though, every one of them is different. :winking:

Waiting patiently for pics though.

I did not get many pics. Such a busy day at the barn we got two new rescues a polish arab aroound 200 lbs underweight and a sweet bay yearling with a blown out knee. I did get a couple of udder shots and one who ha pic. I will have to compare. The bag looks pretty full and is pretty hard. She was very sensitive feels like a taunt balloon but no waxing. She looks like a bow legged football player when she walk and constantly lifting tail and butt is pretty soft. We got 9 days left.

I'd say she still needs to fill that udder a little more. Most, I say this lightly, mares will have little to no crease in their udder when they are ready to foal. Spiffy had no crease before she had Dude and she had some nice 'candle wicks' too! Lol!

I know what you mean, but major difference in how tight it was. Last baby she had very little of bag then baby came and she ballooned up in a couple hours.

I had board owner check this morning and she said it is really hard and tender. Today is day 335. Sweetie today is pushing against the wall of the stall and last night she said pushing her butt against a tree. Definitely feeling discomfort. I won't be getting more pics til next weekend unless she foals. I hoping she hangs on til at least her due date which is the 8th.

Just got off the phone with the barn manager. Sweetie is early labor! She said she checked on her at 4am and found her biting at her flanks, waxing and tail looks almost dislocated is so loose! She said her vulva looks about 4 inches longer since the weekend and super loose. She said she thought maybe a baby in early morning but she appears more uncomfortable but still eating hay. Vet is notified and will try to stop by later. Of course I can't leave work til 7pm tonight due to calloffs at the hospital. Bm thinks it will be sometime this evening or tonight.

I wish! We are still waiting.... She has all the signs very loose vulva, waxing and even during certain periods she will spend 15- 20 minutes of "looks like pushing". Last evening at the barn we had a horse showing signs of colic so vet was by and she took a look at her. She told me a elephant could get through that vulva. So I had a heart to heart with my girl, I was going to stay but I have a sick kid right now so went home. She is being housed in the small indoor, barn owner is sleeping in the tack room next door and vet witnessed the pushing last night and actually trying to lay down and get up. The vet said "She might do this for days, but she is not in distress everything is fine with baby" So I guess I have to be patient. I might stay tonight if everything is okay with my daughter, there is a big auction in town and everyone is going. I'm sure she will decide to pick when no one is looking.

Got a text last night she was pushing again but nothing else. The barn owner is really a good horse woman and she said she would call if anything was up, grateful I have her watching her so close.

Its probably the foal shifting into position. A lot of mares will act "labory" as the foal is moving.