Melanie

Anyone Woke Up With A Dead Arm?

Around 2 a.m. this morning I woke up. I don't know why. I was laying on my back/side right on top of my right arm that was stretched out. My arm was completely asleep, not your normal tingly arm, I literally could not feel it or move it. I remember grabbing at my sleeve to move my arm and it flopped like rubber. It was laying there totally limp and lifeless. It wasn't until I (panicked) started hitting my arm and shaking it that it came to life, which of course, hurt SO bad because it was tingling like crazy.

It was so scary that I actually Googled it once it was feeling better just to see what was up. Turns out it's common, but if you do it a lot it can cause nerve damage.

Now I'm worried, I've woken up sleeping on my arm strange before and it's fallen asleep, but never to this extent. I don't know how to sleep so that this doesn't happen again, because boy was that scary. :twitch:

Has anyone had this happen to them? My arm/shoulder is still incredibly sore. I really could use a good massage.

I wake up with a dead hand quite often. I sleep in crazy/creepy positions. I can literally start out laying normal and wake up the next morning sideways in bed with my head touching the floor. So dead hand is common for me.

I did have a dead leg one time. I didn't realize it until it was to late. I jumped up to answer the phone and went right back down. Dislocated my kneecap. Now before I jump up I make sure my legs are ok.

Not dead, but I did wake up yesterday with pins-and-needles in my left arm. At about 3:30 in the morning. And it never completely went away until I got up later.

Tracy

happens to me all the time. Sometimes all the way back into my shoulder blades and I have to sit up to get blood moving again--VERY painful and I usually can't breathe for a good 40 seconds. My hands go numb nightly, arm maybe a few times a month...the shoulder blade thing luckily only happens a few times a year...but often enough that I don't panic and I know to just sit up and hold my breath for a while.

I just love when my alarm is going off and my hand has no feeling and I can't turn off the stupid thing...lol

It sounds like you pinched a nerve, so don't sleep on it like that! The problem is when you're sleeping and shifting position while you're asleep ... you aren't aware of what you're doing because you're sleeping!

:confused0024:

My fingers/hands occasionally go numb, but I know that is from one of my chemo-meds(non-cancer). Sometimes it is brought on by sleeping on my hands/arms oddly and sometimes it is from overuse/exertion. For me, it is just a side-effect I deal with. For you, you may need to alter how you fall asleep in an effort to prevent yourself sleep-moving into a position that could pinch that nerve.

ALL the time! Esp. when i was younger, it falls alseep so bad to were it feels like needles! I toss and turn a lot in my sleep and the way I sleep causes it!

I've never woken up with a dead arm, but I did have that awful, extreme tingling after having a dead arm.

I'd cut my hand really bad on broken glass while doing dishes. Went to the ER, and the doctor took so long coming in that by the time they did, they put a tournequit on it. My arm went totally numb. After the stitches and the tournequet was off, and it started coming back to life....man did it HURT!

Happens to me a lot too. I have poor circulation. It's usually my arm, but sometimes my leg. Not fun and scares me, but the feeling always comes back.

It sounds like you pinched a nerve, so don't sleep on it like that! The problem is when you're sleeping and shifting position while you're asleep ... you aren't aware of what you're doing because you're sleeping!

:confused0024:

My fingers/hands occasionally go numb, but I know that is from one of my chemo-meds(non-cancer). Sometimes it is brought on by sleeping on my hands/arms oddly and sometimes it is from overuse/exertion. For me, it is just a side-effect I deal with. For you, you may need to alter how you fall asleep in an effort to prevent yourself sleep-moving into a position that could pinch that nerve.

I knowww. :( I don't know what I'm doing in my sleep, but this just started maybe a few months ago where I'll wake up and be laying on one of my arms all funky. Never ever to this extent, although usually it feels like I've popped my shoulder out because I'm laying on it so weird and it'll be super sore and I'll have to sit up and rotate it around for a bit and then lay normally. I was so scared to go to sleep after this happened because I didn't want to wake up to that ever again!

Sayge, I've heard of that happening to a woman I know. She said her foot fell asleep and she jumped up to answer the door/phone and broke her ankle. Scary!

I did this a lot as a kid and still do from time to time now. I sleep with my arm under my pillow on my stomach and when my pillows lose their fluffiness it happens usually. When it first happened as a kid I would wake up and think my arm was broken. I would literally lift it up and it would fall back down and hit me in the face or hit my headboard or something. I would SCREAM and my mom would come running in. Of course a few minutes later the tingle would begin and then my arm would wake up. But even knowing what it was I would still wake up screaming a few times a year.

Of course now I don't wake up screaming due to it but it still happens. I don't like the feeling at all and my dr said it is just from sleeping with my arm under and bent so that the bloodflow is kinked. He said when we're awake and our limbs fall asleep due to poor circulation we catch it sooner than it ever hits that point but sometimes when we are asleep our bodies don't catch it until it is pretty much dead asleep.

It sounded good from the dr but I still hate the feeling regardless.

I was laying on my back/side right on top of my right arm that was stretched out.

[puts on my Doctor hat]

Can you describe this better?

Was your body on its side and laying *on top of* your arm?

How was your arm stretched out?

Next tell me how you like to fall asleep (position) and then how you usually wake up.

[/takes off my Doctor hat]

I like to sleep on my L-side with a K-size pillow along my body. One corner of the pillow is between my knees (R-hip injury), my abdomen and chest are sort of leaning onto the pillow and my head is on the other corner of the pillow. My L-arm is usually curled up w/ my hand under my cheek/pillow. R-arm is 'hugging' the pillow w/ hand tucked under.

However ....

My kitty, Malibu, likes to sleep with me. If she comes to snuggle before I fall asleep, I lift the blanket and she curls against my chest, on the pillow and I will tuck my nose into the fur on her shoulders and pull the blanket part-way over her w/ my R-arm under the blanket, curled around her and tuck my hand under her back feet/tail.

There are *many* times I wake up - flat on my back - with Malibu sleeping on my chest and my arms flung wide. [whispers] sometimes I'm even 'catching flys' [/whispers]

If my arm is numb, it is usually because I'm on it, or Mallie is. When my hands/fingers are numb it is usually because my wrist was bent into an odd position. I am hoping, if we can determine what/how/why you get yourself into odd positions and try to find ways to prevent you getting into those positions, it could help.

Yea. What I REALLY hate is when my EAR gets folded over on my pillow.... then I wake up feeling like it got ripped off the side" :ashamed0002: Sad part is... it's NOT like I have DUMBO ear issues... apparently they just bend wrong... or something!

After the whole "Wilson" episode, Doc decided I was developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & "Tennis Elbow".

(Well, I have NEVER, in my WHOLE LIFE, EVER played a game of Tennis, & informed Doc of this tidbit of info. I'm not a carp fan, either.) Apparently my finger repair doc is of the "Higher Class" type, & didn't GET the humor factor... yet. I have a way of bring it out... eventually.) :winking:

He had me sleep with one of those wrist braces, You know, butt-ugly tan, metal bendy-thing on the ventral side- yea, I apparently piqued his interest with my knowledge of Dorsal vs ventral, medial & lateral... resembles an Ace Bandage with Velcro contraption?

He said sleeping in a fetal position with the hand & wrist bent under my head, thus pulling the bottom quarter of the ear flap forward, cutting off nerve impulses & blood supply could POSSIBLY cause me to wake up with numb-ish painful tingly parts, & a partially uncontrollable urge to smack Hubby upside the noggin for being amorous while I beat the blood & feeling back into my body parts.

. :crazy:

Hubby still doesn't get why I stay up late on the computer.... I prefer NOT abusing him to the "OMG, it's getting FEELING again!" sensation of fingers, elbow & ear

Redneck cowgirl, funny you should mention carpal tunnel. When I told my boyfriend he said he's had it happen to him before and when he went to the doctor they had him doing carpal tunnel exercises with his wrists/arms because they said it was caused a lot from just having improper circulation.

Heidi, ok! I recreated it in bed last night so I could describe it to you better. Start by laying on your back with your right arm stretched straight out from the shoulder. Then roll over to the right, not completely on your side though. More like just lifting your left shoulder off the bed a bit. I think I said I was on my back originally because that's probably how I woke up - because I'd rolled off my arm. How do I fall asleep? Generally either on my stomach or completely on my right side with my right arm curled underneath my pillow/head. Sometimes it's my left side, but mostly my right side because that's the side the TV is on. I have a timer set on my TV so I can fall asleep to it and then it shuts itself off after an hour.

Does that help doc? :happy0203:

Oh I do that all the time. I sleep with my hands folded down and tucked close to my body while laying on them so I have to sleep in braces sometimes. I seem to do it more when I'm stressed.

I have woken up with dead legs before from sleeping curled up on top of them. Usually they get feeling back after a few minutes but its no fun when you wake up like that and have to go potty real bad.

Has happened to me. I'd say it's dangerous. Blood circulation has been cut off.

Ever wonder why consumer advocate Ralph Nader slurs and looks a little funny? He fell asleep against the window in an airplane and suffered permanent nerve damage.

Heidi, ok! I recreated it in bed last night so I could describe it to you better. Start by laying on your back with your right arm stretched straight out from the shoulder. Then roll over to the right, not completely on your side though. More like just lifting your left shoulder off the bed a bit. I think I said I was on my back originally because that's probably how I woke up - because I'd rolled off my arm. How do I fall asleep? Generally either on my stomach or completely on my right side with my right arm curled underneath my pillow/head. Sometimes it's my left side, but mostly my right side ...

Does that help doc? :happy0203:

LOL! It does help! LOL!

It sounds like if your arm is stretched out in front of you, you sometimes roll onto it and then the weight of your body is on the nerves/veins/arteries/whatever that run along the inner arm.

I wonder if it would be better if you curled that arm up instead of leaving it extended out.

Oh, btw, aren't you afraid something will reach from under the bed and grab your arm while it is extended out? :crazy:

LOL! It does help! LOL!

It sounds like if your arm is stretched out in front of you, you sometimes roll onto it and then the weight of your body is on the nerves/veins/arteries/whatever that run along the inner arm.

I wonder if it would be better if you curled that arm up instead of leaving it extended out.

Oh, btw, aren't you afraid something will reach from under the bed and grab your arm while it is extended out? :crazy:

Exactly, usually it's curled up, but it seems when I fall asleep it goes straight out because I've woken up on numerous occasions with it stretched out all to heck and have terrible shoulder pain. I should just sleep with the boyfriend more, usually he takes up all the room so I'm stuck curled in a tiny ball in a corner, there'd be no way I could get away with flinging my arm out. :crazy:

And yes I'm terrified of things under the bed! However my arm isn't extended over the bed. I'm more of laying on one side with it extended to the edge of the bed but rarely over. Same reason why my feet never leave the safe confines of the blanket. You never know what might grab them. :twitch: (Although one time a hair elastic made it's way under my blankets and my toes found it in the middle of the night and thought it was a spider. Oh the horror. Nowhere is safe!! :twitch: )

Same reason why my feet never leave the safe confines of the blanket. You never know what might grab them. :twitch: (Although one time a hair elastic made it's way under my blankets and my toes found it in the middle of the night and thought it was a spider. Oh the horror. Nowhere is safe!! :twitch: )

ZOMBunny! Gah! You made me laugh so hard I think I may have tee-tee'd a little. :ashamed0002: Thanks. Now I gotta go CHANGE! :rotf:

:rotf: My bad! Haha.

I'm so terrified of spiders. I'll dream about them and then wake up flailing and start throwing blankets and pillows everywhere because I think they're in my bed. It's no wonder I usually find boyfriends sleeping on the couch in the mornings. :confused0024:

Man. Spiders are IT for me. To the nth degree.

I was reading in bed one night and got up to use the restroom. When I came back, it was just in time to watch a daddy-long-legs walk RIGHT ACROSS WHERE I WAS LAYING!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh! How scary to wonder how many times they walked across me while I was sleeping. Luckily I *usually* (many yrs orthodontia w/ retainers) sleep w/ my mouth clamped tightly shut.

Two summers ago I moved out to the mountains to a stable to coach their riding camps. I got to stay in this super cute little cabin with a fireplace, comfy bed, my own kitchen and A HUNDRED SPIDERS. One of the first nights I was up ALL NIGHT because there were spiders on the roof above my bed and I refused to get into bed. I was near hyperventilating/crying over it. The next day I purchased the Raid Spider Blaster and went World War III on their arses.

Speaking of spider stories (since it's been established we are no longer on topic), I have a funny one to tell that happened at work a few weeks ago. I was on the phone with a client when I see something in the air beside my head. It was in the air and had a lot of legs, so I thought it was a mosquito. Then I realized that there are no mosquitos this time of year. So I looked over. SPIDER. I immediately leapt to my feet with my hand over my mouth to keep from screaming into the phone. I watch it land ON MY DESK and stand there staring at me, waiting. Challenging me. What have you. So I'm backing away slowly (thank goodness my boss invested in cordless phones for the office) but then I feel a tingle on my shoulder (because you always feel tingles on you when you see/think about spiders) so I look onto my shoulder and SPIDER! Ok. Not a spider, it was my hair. But my hair can sometimes look like a spider when you're already terrified. Anyway, I gasped really loud and started beating myself regardless. All the while maintaining somewhat of a one-sided conversation with said client ("mmmhmm"..."yes"...."ok"...."yeah"..."uh huh" etc). I managed to pull off the "sorry, someone just came into my office, I have to run, can you please email me any questions, ok bye!" somewhat smoothly before hanging up and retreating to safety. The spider ran under my printer and I was too scared to go looking for it, but all day I was glancing at the printer suspiciously. Please note, boss was out of the office at this point, which I am eternally grateful for. I'm not so sure him walking into my office to see me flailing around and beating my arm and looking wildly around the room would do much for my job performance reviews. :rotf: (I wish this was an exaggeration, but I am THAT scared of spiders)

... to see me flailing around and beating my arm and looking wildly around the room ...

Me, too. :huggy:

2 spider stories, then I *gotta* go feed the cats their canned meal.

Story #1.

I had a Dracenia (think; 'tall corn plant' in a pot) potted plant in my room. WHY I placed it next to my bed, I'll never know, but I did. I remember waking up on my back, with my head under the hangy-down leaves of the Dracenia and they looked like HUGE spider legs. I was drawing breath to let out a blood-curdling scream that would have wakened the household ... when I realized it was my plant and not a spider.

I moved my Dracenia plant across the room.

Story #2.

Husband and I are going out to dinner with friends, a former boss of Hubby's, to be exact. I had hiccups in the car ride over and as we entered the restaurant. It was crowded and we had to wait in the standing-room-only bar for our table to be cleared. Hubb says to me: "Don't move." and sort of moves his hand/arm in a 'plucking' manner towards the hair over my shoulder.

I freeze and whisper "What?!"

He replies: "Hold still."

Me: "What! I *am* holding still. Is it a spider?"

Him: "Just hold still!"

This place was crowded and I couldn't just start screaming and flailing wildly even though every instinct told me to do exactly that.

Then he asks me about my hiccups. I respond that I don't give a flying FIG about my hiccups, get the damm thing OFF me! He asks about my hiccups again ... and I finally realize that you really CAN scare the hiccups out of people. If it hadn't been such a public place I'd have cheerfully murderalized him for doing that to me.

Edited by Heidi n Q

:twitch: I'm pretty sure if you HAD murdered him you'd be able to get away with it in court.

My boyfriend thinks it's sooooo funny to scare me. I'm also scared of the dark so sometimes he'll start talking in a creepy voice at night. I was already on edge because we were talking about ghosts and such and I shrieked and my fists went flying. He's lucky my aim was off... :angry:

Whew! That's good to know "he had it coming" is still a valid defense. As for your guy ... not cool, Dude. Not cool. Oh, and I think we need to work on your aim. :crazy::happy0203:

What's with guys thinking it's funny to scare us? Last night he kept doing "the voice" and I've TOLD him not to do it. Every time it got silence I'd psych myself out because I knew, just knew that jerk was gonna do it. So I punched him in the stomach preemptively and went to sleep. :happy0203: Not my fault, I warned him about tickling and scaring me. Any bodily harm that is caused to him by him scaring me and/or tickling me is not my fault.

I do need to work on my aim. My last boyfriend taught me how to punch. I never knew how to properly punch, so he (stupidly) taught me. Of course I got excited when I got the technique down and would practice on his shoulder. This is what I call "learning from past relationships." :happy0203: But now I need to properly aim my punches...

(I'm really not that violent....I promise! :flirt: )

What's with guys thinking it's funny to scare us? Last night he kept doing "the voice" and I've TOLD him not to do it. Every time it got silence I'd psych myself out because I knew, just knew that jerk was gonna do it. So I punched him in the stomach preemptively and went to sleep. :happy0203: Not my fault, I warned him about tickling and scaring me. Any bodily harm that is caused to him by him scaring me and/or tickling me is not my fault.

I do need to work on my aim. My last boyfriend taught me how to punch. I never knew how to properly punch, so he (stupidly) taught me. Of course I got excited when I got the technique down and would practice on his shoulder. This is what I call "learning from past relationships." :happy0203: But now I need to properly aim my punches...

(I'm really not that violent....I promise! :flirt: )

... actually i think this is called "baggage"...

ACK!

This happened to me the other night again. Not nearly as bad. And this time it was weird because I was laying on my left side but it was still my right arm that was asleep, but my right arm was definitely kinked weird however I was laying.

Was rubbing my shoulders and noticed a huge knot on my shoulder, right around where the pain originates when this happens. Either the knot is causing the lack of circulation or the lack of circulation is causing the knot. Either way, I'm booked for a massage next week to see if they can work on it. :(