Sign in to follow this  
Crystal_lisa24

When To Worry

So just curious, at what point in the pregnancy would you begin to worry about a mare that hasn't foaled yet. 12 months 12.5 months 13 months or just let her go until she foals considering she is definately pregnant and has a bag? :questionicon:

I've had a very old vet in the past say, "Mother Nature take care of itself" , and I have always held this as the Gospel truth! I've also seen mares go past due dates that were false pregnancies. If really worried, call the vet out.

The fruit falls when its ripe. If the foal is alive but "past due", just let nature take its course. We're hearing of a lot of mares going late this year for whatever reason. It will happen when the foal signals its ready. Inducing because the humans are impatient will often times result in disaster. Record is about 417 days from confirmed last breeding.

:twitch: 417 days! I really think everything is ok with her, she's at 375 days today so I'm not too, too anxious, but ready for her to have her baby! She looks miserable, I don't think she could fit through double doors! I know I don't want to induce, and that it can be dangerous. Thanks for the reassurance, I think it was what I needed. :smilie: