Sign in to follow this  
llbperformancehorses

Foaling Outside

My mare has always foaled outside. She has had 4 babies before i got her. She is due any day now, and it has turned off cold again here. I dont want to put her up in a stall because she has never foaled in a stall, but I am concerned about the baby being born at night in the cold? I want all opinions. It has been upper 70s during the day and lower 50s at night here for the past month, but now it is only getting in the 60s during the day and down to the upper 20s lower 30s at night. If i would have known it was goin to be cold again I would have put her in a stall 2 weeks ago for her to get used to it, but it could be any day now. What would you do??

What is the mare's demeanor in the stall? Do you have a stall with a run-out available? If she's ok in the stall (i.e. not yelling for other horses, pacing, challenging the door) then I personally would put her in there. If she has a buddy, put that horse in the stall next door to help quiet her down. In general, its cleaner to foal outside (unless of course its in mud or otherwise filthy conditions). The biggest factor here is how quickly you can get the foal dried off and blanketed in those outdoor conditions.

I stayed up so I could thoroughly dry the foal we had on the 28 of Feb.. he was born in a snow storm, we just made sure he was dry, Mama was dry and both had eaten something.. otherwise, he his HUGE and healthy!