Sign in to follow this  
smokeslastspot

Are There Flies That Just Like Donkeys?

Ok this is sort of a weird question but is there a type of fly that only likes donkeys? Or are donkeys in general more bothered by flying incects?

My donkey Eyore has a horrible time in the summer with flies (not sure what kind they are). They get on his cannon area and in the center or his forehead. They cluster there and bite on him until he sometimes will have blood trickling down his leg, and if I don't keep on top of it by the end of summer he will have bald patches on his legs. Nothing seems to work except putting the pink swat cream all over his legs and head. He really does not appreciate this.

The horses never have this problem and I never notice flies clustered on them. I always assumed that it was just Eyore as an individual that had this problem, but now that my dad has three donkeys (Poncho-jack, Brownie-jenny, Sandy-jenny) I find that the two jenny's have this problem as well, although to a much lesser extent. Dad's jack will not usally get close enough to humans for us to see that close.

I have tried the leg bands with fly repellent and they only made a dent in the fly problem, putting on fly spray is quite an ordeal involving running though a chute. The swat cream at least stays on for several days and can be done with just a tiny fuss but if anyone has any advice or ideas I'd welcome them. Poor eyore hates being covered in pink goop.

Why not use a face mask and mesh fly leg wraps? I never notice a large difference on my mule. I keep them all pretty well sprayed down with cattle spray. We also keep the barn pretty clean with fresh shavings, dark, and loads of fans. They use the back part of the barn as a run in. We only have 3 actual stalls and put the older horses/buddy horses in them together to make room for everyone else.

Eyore has always tried to shred anything I put on him except the fly away bands :( Well he did try with those but eventually gave up, guess they tasted to nasty. Do fly leg wraps come in mini/pony sizes? He is small, we think he may be part miniature as all the standard donkeys are much larger than him but he is not as small as a mini. He is sort of an in between size.

He has access to the run in where I have hooked a fan up in the past but doesn't seem to like standing where it blows on him. They usually don't even go in the run in at all so it is always clean and we eventually unhooked the fans since nobody was using them.

Yes. They make miniature ones. Perhaps get him a muzzle to keep him from chewing them? They have the full close, the open hole bottom, and the full open one. We've used the full open and the open hole bottoms to prevent horses from chewing dressings. We had one injury a LONG time ago that was bad enough to warrant a neck cradle..but I wouldn't use one on him of course! But you can find mini ones in most magazines. I have a pair for the little muley should he ever need them. :happy0203:

Thanks spanish. I have always had the problem of looking for stuff in very large sizes but never in small sizes so I wasn't sure if they made everything that small. I don't think I have ever looked at any sort of mini/pony equipment. All of my horses so far have been quite large but I am hoping that my 3 yo TWH gelding will stop growing soon and stay a normal size. Usually I don't do much with Eyore except basic care, I got him to keep the varmints away so that is all the "work" he has to do other than eat and get petted on.

Donkeys and mules seem to be more thin-skinned than horses. I don't know if this is fact, but it seem sthat way to me.

Our jack gets eaten up on his face in the summer. We cannot keep a fly mask on him for more than a few minutes but he is easy to doctor so we just try to keep the damage to aminimum. It does not seem to matter what we put on him, he still gets big bald spots on his face, right below each eye.

Guess I am no help, sorry.

That's ok, it's good to know I'm not alone. :smilie: All my experience thus far has been with Eyore alone so when dad got donkeys a lot of the things I chalked up to being just Eyore turned out to be donkey things.

I have two horses and two burros which live together. The flies seem to like them all, but Gidget, one of the burros, has a horrible time in the summer with flies and their biting. It got to the point where we were giving her low doses of steroids to stop the itching, as she would rub her legs and chest-area raw. I wasn't thrilled with the meds, so I began using "Endure", probably every two to three days. Obviously more often than the bottle says, but it was the only thing other than the drugs which would help her. She heals up really well if I keep after it. Now, I don't use the steroids, just the Endure, and I also use liberal amouns of d.e. on their manure to keep the fly population down.