lonesomeequus

New Pics Of Too

No :ashamed0002: She's stuck with me. I am actually hoping to get some really good dressage scores on her in the next year or so, see about getting her to an inspection (probably Belgian WB is the only thing I could get her in the books for), and...I sort of fell in love with a stallion for her last week :ashamed: But ONLY if she can get the good scores, and not until then. He's a Russian WB stallion named Abrikos; he short listed for the Beijing Olympics with the Canada team. He's not super huge and has a build that would compliment her very nicely. Only issue is that he is in his twenties and has been competing up until very recently, so there isn't much on the ground by him, and although his performance can't really be denied, the stud fee is a little high for not being a proven sire. We'll see. This is all just kind of lightly being thrown out there at this point, anyway. It is nice to think about, though :happy0203:

And I am a dumb dumb and had a heck of an epiphany the other day while driving...thinking, "Dang shoulder is starting to throb again!" ...I tore my right rotator cuff about six years ago. Um, duh?

Thanks! I think most of that inside rein is that that is my weak side and more likely to convert to the awful hunter braceyness. Sigh... Old habits! Thank you so much, nick!

hey man, i get to publicly humiliate myself with another lesson with heuschmann on the 21st! somehow it seems to agree with me :grin: .

you both look beautiful so you MUST be doing something right.!

Hahaha on one night! I'm offended Pinto! "Hunter bracyness"!

Also-have you ever considered having a saddle eval to try to get one that fits both you and that lovely mare?!?!

Hahaha on one night! I'm offended Pinto! "Hunter bracyness"!

Also-have you ever considered having a saddle eval to try to get one that fits both you and that lovely mare?!?!

:ashamed0002: I really don't mean any offense! Here locally, the hunters ride very braced against their horses.

Also, I FINALLY GOT A SADDLE! Last week. :) I sold my brown Crosby Prix St. George that fit only Benny out of the three of us, and paid a little bit more than I got for that one, to buy a Karl Niedersuss Symphony in a size that fits both the mare and I! I was so lucky to find this saddle, and it is so nice to have a saddle that I don't swim in. My boss has a KN that she's let me ride in a lot, so I knew I loved the balance of the saddle, and I knew the particular tree fit her, so when I found one in a 16 1/2 at the local tack store I was thrilled. She seems happier in it, too; today I actually got a controlled (not collected, but also not just wild) canter on her, and didn't flop around as much as usual. lol.

We had just a short and sweet ride today; just long enough to get her warm, and have boyfriend get some pictures so I could SEE what we look like. There's still a lot of work to do on me, but I feel and IMO look a lot more relaxed. I felt like the mare was working a bit better than she looked in the pictures, but then with them being up a lot with all of our bad weather, I wasn't going to push her a lot, since she was at least being sweet and acquiescent. (She also looks like a fat heiffer; I can't wait for her to shed out and me have time to work her more than I have been in this weather - cleaning 21 overnight stalls almost every darn day for the entire month of December has really worn me out).

Also, I realized upon seeing a photo of Ben and me from when I was 17 or mayyybe 18...I give up, I have NO stinkin' idea why my right shoulder goes insane.

crook_zps9eba0d00.jpg

Well...pics are coming...I think. My computer and PB are duking it out...

Ohh, shaggy winter pony! I may clip her in March.

DSC_0119_zpsd6791384.jpg

She looks so downhill here to me, but I know I was letting her be lazy, and I'm just so happy to see we aren't tensing up at each other anymore.

DSC_0296_zpsa86e671d.jpg

This is unfortunately an improvement.

DSC_0384_zpsbbf5cdca.jpg

Need to stop this leaning stuff I'm doing.

DSC_0457-1_zps21f38fc4.jpg

Just cause she's cute.

DSC_0520_zpsf8b70331.jpg

She is getting a topline, and all of her neck muscle is starting to migrate to good places.

DSC_0539-1_zps152f4329.jpg

I wish I'd gotten a close up of her face on this one.

DSC_0544_zps96ecfe1f.jpg

:ashamed0002: I really don't mean any offense! Here locally, the hunters ride very braced against their horses.

Also, I FINALLY GOT A SADDLE! Last week. :) I sold my brown Crosby Prix St. George that fit only Benny out of the three of us, and paid a little bit more than I got for that one, to buy a Karl Niedersuss Symphony in a size that fits both the mare and I! I was so lucky to find this saddle, and it is so nice to have a saddle that I don't swim in. My boss has a KN that she's let me ride in a lot, so I knew I loved the balance of the saddle, and I knew the particular tree fit her, so when I found one in a 16 1/2 at the local tack store I was thrilled. She seems happier in it, too; today I actually got a controlled (not collected, but also not just wild) canter on her, and didn't flop around as much as usual. lol.

We had just a short and sweet ride today; just long enough to get her warm, and have boyfriend get some pictures so I could SEE what we look like. There's still a lot of work to do on me, but I feel and IMO look a lot more relaxed. I felt like the mare was working a bit better than she looked in the pictures, but then with them being up a lot with all of our bad weather, I wasn't going to push her a lot, since she was at least being sweet and acquiescent. (She also looks like a fat heiffer; I can't wait for her to shed out and me have time to work her more than I have been in this weather - cleaning 21 overnight stalls almost every darn day for the entire month of December has really worn me out).

Also, I realized upon seeing a photo of Ben and me from when I was 17 or mayyybe 18...I give up, I have NO stinkin' idea why my right shoulder goes insane.

crook_zps9eba0d00.jpg

Well...pics are coming...I think. My computer and PB are duking it out...

nice pic--very green haha. do you maybe have TMJ on right side. you're right--that right shoulder does have a life of its own.

nice pic--very green haha. do you maybe have TMJ on right side. you're right--that right shoulder does have a life of its own.

Isn't TMJ in the jaw/face? And yes, yes, Benjamin and I were very subtle and classy back in the day... :D

Pinto!

No offense taken! lol, it's just a common misconception about hunter riders! Like with any riding, it all depends on how you learn, where you learn and what is considered 'accepted' of the time!

Your mare is super cute btw! Also, if you need someone to do a dynamic saddle fit evaluation (for free i believe because she is still finishing her practicum) I can set you up with her-She's located in Alabama! :)

hey pinto! we're starting a new game at our barn; "how slow can you go?" (grammar aside) it's having a spectacular effect with all of the horse personality types. elevation, elevation, elevation :drool: .

hey pinto! we're starting a new game at our barn; "how slow can you go?" (grammar aside) it's having a spectacular effect with all of the horse personality types. elevation, elevation, elevation :drool: .

Elaborate!!

Hillary, yeah yeah yeeeahhhh :P

Mare is doing really well! February, after a fellow boarder and I took our boys to a ginormous farm for about four hours of trail riding, I decided Tues needed to wear the western saddle so she could go next time. Sadly, our scheduled field trip was cancelled and not rescheduled, but during February, I mostly rode her on a loose rein in my western saddle, hoping I'd get a better feel for her canter and I did. It also helped relax her even more.

DSC_0180_zps60df0103.jpg

DSC_0322-1_zps9e449e9f.jpg

DSC_0569_zpsf3fe4715.jpg

DSC_0573-1_zps0f1f3f22.jpg

Bracing my ankles and such because she was considering running away with me and I panicked a bit lol

DSC_0583-1_zps8c2135fb.jpg

DSC_0633-1_zpsea14feb1.jpg

We had a super lesson two weeks ago, and the mare and I are finally learning to walk. lol. Our trainer gave her walk an 8 during the lesson, yay!

DSC_0184-1_zps9a815014.jpg

DSC_0411_zps150c111b.jpg

DSC_0727_zps75f891b4.jpg

Her neck!!

DSC_0750_zpsb4f7b3df.jpg

very nice! but why do you have her in a hannoverian noseband?? she WON'T run off with you if you don't brace.

how slow can you go means you do everything in slow motion, including turn on the haunches, travers, renvers, and your goal is to control every footfall. (it works!!) if you think about it, passage and piaffe are done in slow motion, and so are two tempi changes and the pirouette. the slower the more POWERFUL.

also, to get a good walk, your hands do the opposite of your butt. they follow the mouth while your butt follows the horse's haunches.

she looks great and so do you!!

She's in that to make her big ole nose look slimmer ;) I promise I don't have her cranked tight! I really got it for a show bridle, but I love the way it looks on her and the leather is so soft on her faceypoo. (I have not been drinking, incidentally.)

Yes she WOULD lol! She would SO run away! I panicked because to our left and front was hot tape, and to the right was downhill. I hate running down hills.

I thought so! We have been able to get the trot like that when I have Ms. Trainer in my ear with her accent talking to me the whole time. I retain a little every lesson, get reminded the next time, and eventually it takes hold! I think I'm on a three lesson delay right now, haha. Thanks, nick!!

you mean this accent: "ve haff vays to MEK you rrrrrelax!" :lol:

you know, galloping (cantering or hand gallop--not running like the clappers) up AND down hills is an excellent way to encourage them to get on their haunches, they realize pretty quickly that otherwise they'll fall on their face. i'm not talking about a steep grade--just a nice downhill slope.

i get to be tortured again tomorrow by heuschmann. (his english is pretty funny when he describes seminars he's held in the states in his self-proclaimed "strange english". one time he was trying to explain pulling up your breast bone (core) to a predominantly female group, and afterwards an older lady came up to him and said, "you just have to tell them to "push out their boobies" :wacko: .

You should have that black & white photo framed :) It's just gorgeous. She's such a nice horse!!

Miss THANG had her first show today! We just did Intros A and B, as submission and my seat are still under construction at the canter, and I wanted it to be a positive experience for her first show.

WELL.

DSC_0134_zpsdf8bbee8.jpg

DSC_0196_zps1fa2b2cf.jpg

(got an 8 for this med walk)

DSC_0230_zps86069a82.jpg

DSC_0300-1_zpsbf46134f.jpg

This is impressively square a halt for her. Usually she cocks a hip.

DSC_0314_zps1f38a69c.jpg

DSC_0122-1_zps18b43e0a.jpg

DSC_0101-1_zpscfc9f4aa.jpg

DSC_0048_zpsec80f780.jpg

She was super. Just super. Quiet, attentive, tried her best and did everything I asked her and didn't spook at the tents or the trailers rattling by, and held it together with her BFF yelping for her. I'm a bit disappointed in me, I feel I could have sat up more and lifted her up more, but I am just so happy with her. We got a 68.75% in Intro A and a 70% in Intro B and ended up both Champion and Reserve Champion for the day, as she got the two highest scores of the day. What a friggin good girl!

very nice!! what i love is that you have what the germans call the "ahnlehnung", that she is seeking the contact (rather than have it forced on her). it also looks like you have that (renegade haha) right shoulder a little bit more under control :lol: . she's stretching her neck up, forward and down (as opposed to chin on chest), really a lovely picture of how dressage should look. what a great job you've done!!

but (there's always a *but*) go back and look at the pictures--you look like your bracing your jaw in every riding photo except for one. believe it or not this has a huge effect on the rest of your anatomy from the neck down. you just need to smile all the time, and this little glitch will go away.

congratulations--looks like you're in lurv.

I will never remember that word! haha. Thanks, nick! She really was super. She was seeking me out more consistantly than usual, like, hello, help me out here, lady! I don't know where I am! haha. Jaw, huh? Well, if the horse's jaw effects the horse, I could believe it for my own.

I just love that last picture. She looks like a big ol' warmblood.

Had another show on Sunday at the same place. I didn't feel like we did as well; the photos definitely prove that I for some reason did not ever manage to sit up and pick up my reins, and she was a little less focused as well (probably as a result of my lack of presence in the saddle). Our A score went up and our B down...lol. Two firsts and champion again but I wish I could go back and re-ride them.

We DID finally have a lightbulb moment on our canter, though! Just literally last Wednesday. It was like someone flicked a switch and there we were! I am SO SO excited, though; she is round and soft and hopping now! She is in a boucher because she got so heavy and we wanted to see if it helped at all...which I don't think it did; I think literally it was whatever clicked in both of our brains at the same moment that made the difference, so I'll probably switch her back to her french link this week. I can't wait for updated canter pictures :) :) We do have a lesson next Monday and I think she will not recognize her as the same horse at the canter. Hopefully.

congratulations! it always feel like an epiphany when you find the switch that works for the horse.

i'm not a big fan of playing around with bits when a horse starts getting defensive. start playing that "need a bigger bit, need a bigger boat" game always seems like taking the road to nowhere. might want to tweak your hands and posture instead. could be just a matter of lifting your breast bone and changing the elevation of your hands. having piano hands doesn't help matters either and neither does pulling back. look at the whole picture all the variables, and as my trainer often says, "where are the holes in the foundation?" and don't forget that OUTSIDE rein!!

Yes but but but! lol. Doesn't the baucher just put some pressure on the poll if she dives against my hands? And she does; if she thinks I need to carry her, she'll lean on me and it doesn't matter how I'm sitting.

Besides...

DSC_0249-1_zpsec6646b6.jpg

DSC_0248_zpsfd6d070f.jpg

(That ^ ^ would be the not sitting up I mentioned from the last show. lol. As well as the hands but I guess if I'm not sitting up, my hands will be back towards my lap, eh? Does it excuse it if I've been riding a downhill QH pony a lot lately? haha...)

Beef cake.

DSC_0002-2_zpsb9280048.jpg

the baucher does put pressure on the poll if she dives against your hands, which is precisely why i think it's counterproductive for a horse like this; rather than get intimidated she's just going to get p.o'd and say "oh so you want to play THAT game? let's see who's stronger here". in your shoes (or saddle haha), if she dives against your hands i'd drop all contact. then she's out there in the middle of nowhere, kinda like a boat with no captain. she won't like that. instead of building resentment/resistant you'll start building *paying attention* because you start making the rules. with that you earn respect, and with a horse like this you have to work for it. that means changing up the rules instead of getting into a tug or war or some dumb dominance game. just annoy her by not getting sucked into any of her dominance carp.

in those pictures your posture looks really nice--no hollow back and soft looking seat. your hands, though, are way too far back (in your lap) for my taste and look a bit on the ungiving side. do you ever ride free-style (completely loose rein) in all three gaits? teach her to back only off your seat, leg, and maybe voice? it might help your hands. when you're riding with contact try shortening up your reins and putting your hands a good three-four inches in front of where they are now. you'll get a much straighter line from elbow to mouth.

but, but, but, :smilie: on another note, i think this horse is drop dead gorgeous and you're sort of unugly too :lol: and looks so atheletic. i also encourage you to go back and look at the pictures at the beginning of this thread and then compare with the recent ones. boy have you come a long way baby :smile: . fabulous!!

Edited by nick

It actually doesn't seem to cause a fight with her; causes less than what she gave me in the French link, because she can't pull me off balance so easily in it. She is peculiar I guess! The problem with letting her fall on her face (and I have tried it), is we spend the whole ride with her saying, "Oh cool, I don't have to pick myself up and work..." lol. I had a lesson yesterday, and we worked on a LOT of rebalancing half halts (especially since I have never learned how to properly do them before... :ashamed0002: ) and THAT helped more than anything. Trainer says for a while it's going to be constant rebalancing half halts with her until it stops being a discussion.

I don't know why my hands were so far back in my lap, honest! I think it was the classic "reins too long, so hands come too far back to find a contact" discussion I have with the kids when they get left behind the motion. Trainer did ask me to focus more on a relaxed wrist now, as, at least when someone is yelling at me every stride, I DO have nice soft elbows and a good meeting place for the contact, but my wrists have yet to get the softening memo. And for our warmup, we walk, trot, and canter on a floppy loose rein for about ten or fifteen minutes before I pick up the reins, as long as she isn't being a space cadet :D .

Thank you so much, nick!! She has gotten quite cute, hasn't she? I had a proud shining moment when I discovered yesterday a photo I had put up on Judge My Ride had been shared by them on Instagram, and gathered over 200 likes...I was like, hey! That shiny thing is my horse! :wub:

my husband took a picture of me and a friend out riding in the fields (the one nice day here for the spring of 2013 :mad: ). my horse (lusitano gelding) has a huge head--some would say "a head the size of a coffin" :P . but hey! that huge head belongs to my horse!!

you know pinto, i'm finding a way to suggest to my horse to really stretch low and long for the contact from back to front and open up his back. oops--involves jumping uh oh. i will really try to update my techological shortcomings and post pics and vids. (turns out it's not that hard!! not the technology part--the horse part!! but he is not as cute as your mare and doesn't wear a "you know what" :ph34r::P . he's kind of nekkid that way, despite his BIG head--and it's BIG.)

Hey, we do that SOMETIMES! I like to lunge her over our XC fences about once a month, because I'm a chicken and she still hangs her front legs sometimes, and if she hits a log and flips, I'd rather not be on her... lol.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3115086173233&l=7274821598350910068

I would LOVE to see some media of you and your boy! (Besides, he's a BOY and it's okay for him to have a noggin!)

Edited by pintobeans

she doesn't look it to me. forgot her breeding, but she does look similar to the small hanoverians you see a lot over here in upper levels. in the pictures i've seen she looks (to me) very compact. watch out that she doesn't get strung out in front while she's doing that, and try getting her to do it with long and low neck, long rein plus steady contact.

tried to go for a trail ride today, but the rain drove us (literally) back. between the skeeters and the rain, summer has been awful here so far :angry::(:surrender: .