cmsavage

When A Horse Goes "septic"

I am a valiant watcher of Marestare and sadly in the past few days there have been several foal deaths...thought the streak was ended but then Faith Farm, one of my favorites, had a foal die...mare made it, or so we thought...but just found out that she was put down tonight because she had a rectal tear that went septic :mecry: Rox at Faith Farms does such a fabulous job...I feel terrible for her.

I tried looking up septic, but I didn't get much on it so I figured I'd ask here. Thanks in advance!

It probably means that the rectal tear got infected and went to her bloodstream. Septic shock is a condition caused by an infection in the bloodstream (sepsis) in which blood pressure falls dangerously low and many organs malfunction because of inadequate blood flow.

I've heard it explained that during labor, one of the foal's feet pierces the membrane between the birth canal and the bowel, causing a septic situation that poisons the mare.

For what it's worth, I've known horsetraders who would spot a mare having such a condition being offered and pass the word to other traders in the ring that the mare was "jilfered." Not sure about the spelling.

Googling "sepsis" or "septicemia" will produce better results. Essentially it's an infection that spreads system-wide. Might start as a UTI or a uterine tear or something in a a mare, but will turn into a terrible systemic infection which can kill both foal and mare.