Sign in to follow this  
kitten-kat

I Had To Wait Till He Was Actually Here.

Soooo I used to board in WVC at an old mans place, when he passed away it came time to move my horses, and his as well.. His family had made arrangements to send the race horse he owned to a person who was supposed to take good care of him.. The race horses name is San Pete Slew. He is a 15 year old OTTB, and a big puppy, when i took care of him, I had to go under his belly nightly to scrub and wrap his leg when he cut it. He stood like a champ! Anyway, 4 months after Pete went to his new home, he was found by a sweet gal Names Jenni, and Rescued, he had lost almost 300lbs, his feet were a mess and 2 teen girls were romping around on him like he was a merry go round horse. Jenny took very good care of him, and even got his feet in a better condition.. They are still a bit of a mess, but that will come in time.

Soo I know Pictures or it didn't happen!

SO far to date everyone I have ever trailer-ed Daniel with has always been smaller than him, this was a bit of a different view.

100_4631.jpg

Pete is just 17hh, I mean he isn't huge or anything but he makes my trailer looks small for sure, I was actually impressed he fit so well!

100_4630.jpg

It had been 3 years since Daniel had seen Pete, so this was a momentous day,

100_4640.jpg

100_4644.jpg

100_4643.jpg

100_4639.jpg

100_4649.jpg

100_4648.jpg

100_4654.jpg

I was very impressed over one major thing, Daniel was not food to Pete, he was friend, and Daniel was a little surprised, and to be honest so was I.. Every other Gelding I have ever put him with has literally eaten chunks out of his Hide. Pete looked at him and said HI, how are ya, Friends still? I remember running along side the fences.. For the next week they will be together during the day, but at night, they will be separate, and next week I will rearrange my corral panels and make feeding places for each.. I think this one can actually live with Daniel!

I dont know yet if he is riding sound, he has a sore front, and when i brushed him he moved away from the stiff brush on his back, however he has always been sensitive skinned, and always avoids hard brushes in the past, I want to give him a few days to settle in before i really go over him with a fine tooth comb.. sides Not too worried bout riding him, but if I can, he will be my english horse for sure.

Enjoy!

So glad you were able to get him - congratulations! :smilie:

Congrats on getting him. He's a gorgeous boy. He and Daniel look very happy together, like long-lost buddies that found each other again. I hope his feet turn out OK.

Edited by N4L

I have always wanted him.. and always admired him.. never felt he should have been run as long as he was, but eh... I am just glad terrified and excited to have him!!:)

Giggles, I agree.. I look at him and KNOW that mounting bucket has a reason for its existence :) Not that I can get up from the ground level most days.. but I use a mounting block of some sort always, he is just more the reason.. I also think he is even more motivation to loose weight.. Trotting him all over the place will help with that i think.. that is after his feet are figured out!

I cant wait to get to work with him.. am going this afternoon.. I would provide more photos, but my camera decided to make funny pictures, so i sent it to the repair shot.. hate being without camera

He's lovely! I'm glad you were able to get him, and that the horses are getting along so well.

As an aside, the bigger horse should be on the left in a straight load, but I guess Daniel might weigh more, even though he is shorter? I have two that aren't the same height, but are interchangable weight-wise, but in terms of keeping the trailer on the road, that's always what I've heard.

So glad you got him back - and how great that he and Daniel are getting along minus the bites and kicks. Hope he is everything you would like him to be!

Normally I do load the big one on the left, but that has always been Daniels riding position since he has been the bigger horse.. Pete does weight less though, bout 100lbs less.

I went and played with the boys today, worked on Pete's feet, and got them a little better looking the farrier left his bars and sole to compacted, it was no wonder he was a tad off.. I cleared them up, and right off the bat he walked away more comfortable, I am hoping this will help ease the soreness in his back.. he is a tad tender, and I want to do some PT with him for a while to help it heal, I am going to do deep muscle massages, stretching and some pain management.. as of this moment, I dont need to add the bute to his regimen, but I have it in case. I rather not, I might get him some asperpaste, but as of yet he was walking off sound and running around a bit even, so I think I am on the right track.

Daniel seems to adore him, Pete nuzzles him and they stand side by side the whole day, the BO's wife says they are almost boring to watch!! As me if this hurts my feelings..

I am so happy, even if Pete is not able to be ridden, having a companion with Daniel that LIKES him is awesome.

On a side note, both are getting a bit of IFA safe conditioner at night, and 2 flakes of hay at each feeding, and both are leaving a bit of left overs, and no one is loosing weight, I am very happy with this. Pete is working into his dosage, over form his ole grain, 50/50 till it runs out, but it is about a whole 1 cup worth, after his old stuff runs out, he will get 1 cup for a few weeks and then I will raise it up tot he 2 cups.. I really like this stuff, and it really seems to maintain the muscles Daniel has built, and took my hard keeper to a fairly easy keeper.. still shocked.

:wub: What a looker!

Its amazing that they can remember each other after that long. I've had a gelding remember me 7 years later.

My goodness! Daniel looks like a pony beside him LOL I'm glad they are getting along :) Kudos to you and good luck with him :happy0203:

I think horses remember more than we ever give them credit for.. it has been great having Pete around again, and having them get along so well still amazes me, but I promise I wont be the one complaining. Pete is still a high-strung horse, When I was taking care of his feet he had only a moment where a van pulled into the drive (over 100 feet away) that he got upset, but after he settled, he just needed some re-assurance.

Otherwise next week, Feet permitting, I am going to start on some desensitization with him, I think he really is going to give me my work out, but I really think it will help him a lot.. I am thinking it will be an ongoing thing, he was ran for 9 years of his life, whether on sanctioned races or not.. and has had 2.5 years of being a little spoiled, something he truly needed, so it is going to be fun..

I am hoping to get his body strong, and get his back fixed.. one can hope.. but I need to start with his top-line first, I dont want to have him sore when I start to pony him on trails with Daniel.. I am thinking he will enjoy it as long as he has a friend he trusts..

He really is a beautiful boy.. and has just as beautiful a personality..

These are some older pictures I have of him when I knew him..

This is him running with a gelding named Sam, Sam had not a speck of white on him!

pete_samrun.jpg

peter.jpg

sam_pete.jpg

peterun.jpg

dinner time,

100_1186a.jpg

100_1187.jpg

and this is one of his races..

thetop3ThisonewastakenatGoldenGateFieldsinCaliforniain2001.jpg