Sign in to follow this  
mstevegrrl

For Those Who Have Owned Or Ridden In Bob Marshall Treeless Saddles...

So I found (what I think is) a good deal on a Bob Marshall Circle Y treeless saddle. ($500) I know the "traditional" saddle pad is the skito, but does anyone use anything else? (that doesn't sore the horse, that is)

I have used a 5 star pad and a diamond wool pad. The horse stayed comfortable even on multi-day and all day rides. I can mount from the ground with the five star. I used a skito when I first bought my saddle and the foam inserts broke in too fast to suit me.

Ugh! LUCKY!!!! I have been saddle shopping for 2 - 3 months. I can't even find a park and trail treed circle y for that!!! Or a GOOD stock saddle by a GOOD name for that matter!!

Good for you! Id jump on that deal like a fat kid on chips!

I snatched it up lol. I gotta figure out how to clean it cause its all suede, and DIRTY. But well worth $500 in my opinion :) I have a real thick wool pad, ya think that will work? Or should I buy something else?

I would not ride in a treeless saddle without a pad that is specifically made for that purpose. Your saddle isn't constructed to distribute weight and provide spinal clearance without such a pad. Skito, Grandeur, and Haf pads are good.

I use a supracor pad. I started out using a wool/felt pad. While my horse moved better with the wool/felt pad than she did with a treed saddle I could tell there was still a little stiffness in her speed work. I slao know someone who used a simple wool blanket under one because that is what worked best for a particular horse. In the end listen to your horse. A good place to start though ais a pad that offers weight distribution with spinal clearence.

Spine clearance is important. It is easy to get into paralysis by over analysis. Take what you have and try it, then go from there. Most likely your pad has a split seam down the middle to allow the halves to move somewhat, try it and see how your horse reacts.

That was my first instinct KatyB. But then I was hearing about lots of people using thick wool pads with their treeless saddles so I wasn't really sure. I might try it out for a couple of short rides (I'm not a heavy person, and I used to be a decent rider lol), but I think I'm gonna buy a HafSaddle Pad. They seem to have good reviews from what I've read. I'm not even positive I have a western girth that will fit this horse :rolleye0014: I don't know that I've personally put a Western saddle on him lol.

I don't think you'll do lasting harm with a wool pad for a short ride, but you really won't be able to determine how the saddle works for you or the horse either, so what's the point? I love my Haf pad.

I know some will disagree, but I have used my Impact Gel the whole time I have had my BM saddle and it has worked wonderfully. My horse is comfier than he ever was in a treed saddle and has never shown any back soreness.

You also mention a cinch. Be aware that you may have to buy a much shorter cinch than you normally would for a treed saddle. My gelding uses a 32" cinch with a treed saddle, but he needs a 28" for the treeless, and could probably even go with a 26" if necessary.

My ex-wife was riding a Bob Marshall with a wool felt pad on her mare last summer. Her thick little mare uses a 34" cinch on a regular saddle but a 30" on the Bob Marshall. She loved the treeless becuase she said she could feel the horse move like she was bareback.

Both of my western cinches are 32". :( My gelding is not so big around (Polish Arab, not the roundy Crabbet types) lol I was really hoping I was done buying tack this year. Cross my fingers till I can get out and try it on him I guess...