Boocoo

Long Time!

I can't even remember the last time I posted on here!!! Hope everyone is doing well.

I sold Beau last October and he went to a great new home. They love him and he is doing great. Beau and I ended up 2nd level year end champions and then I hauled him up to his new home after our last show!!

Bobby is doing absolutely awesome. I took him to a Versatility clinic a couple weeks ago and I am taking him to show in the In Hand Versatility class in a couple of weeks. I have ridden him 3x's now, just at the walk with my husband still leading us, but he is doing great and offered a huge walk today and turned off my seat aids. He is so smart and willing. He just turned 3 and stands right at 16 hands now. Here are a couple of photos of him.

post-1098-0-32389100-1336870484_thumb.jpg

At Versatility clinic!

post-1098-0-76978800-1336870646_thumb.jpg

3rd time in side reins. They are still quite loose. He has a lot of self carriage, even at this young age!!

Wow Bobby has grown. What is Versatility? Here it is a fancy sometimes timed trail course. Doesn't sound like what you are doing.

Here is the Versatility descriptions. I thought it would be a fun thing to do with Bobby before I am riding him and just get him exposed to some things and learn to handle different situations without being afraid of spooky. He takes everything in stride and handles it all very well.

Refined Horse Versatility?

Sport Horse Division ? Foundation Show Level

Class Descriptions

In-Hand Versatility

In-Hand Versatility is a one phase class over a course of 6-9 obstacles. Two levels are offered to encourage development of in-hand work. Exhibitors may be asked to lead their horse from the left or right side. Exhibitors may use a leather, nylon or rope halter or show in a suitable snaffle bridle. No stud chains.

The course will be performed in an outdoor or enclosed arena. The course may be set on natural, undulating terrain. Obstacles may be constructed from wooden poles (natural or painted), cones, and natural elements such as tree stumps or fallen logs. Each obstacle may be marked with artificial flowers and other seasonal decorations.

The course will be handled from memory and the obstacles will not be numbered. A course map will be posted at the show grounds and competitors will be allowed to inspect the course before the start of competition and during scheduled breaks.

Elementary Level

Directives: Horse and handler must show progression and development of correct gymnastic training, softness, confidence and willingness and basic development of refinement. The purpose of In-Hand Versatility is to show thoughtful presentation of obstacles, overall smoothness of the course and accurate application of the aids.

Course of 6-9 obstacles including; walk and turns through ?L?, simple weave through serpentine, small circling around or within fixed obstacle, low step overs, step up and down (i.e. banks), narrow chute, trot straight line to fixed point, lining up to simulate mounting from fixed object, simple and straight backing, walking over foreign surface i.e. bridge, shallow ditch, etc.

Novice Level

Directives: Horse and rider must show progression and development of correct gymnastic training, softness, confidence and willingness and basic development of refinement. The Working Phase will show thoughtful presentation of obstacles, overall smoothness of the course and accurate application of the aids, developing a more technical understanding of refined horsemanship.

Course of 6-9 obstacles including; walk and turns through ?L?, weave through serpentine, small circling around or within fixed obstacle, low step overs, step up and down (i.e. banks), simple turns within a box, trot narrow chute, acute transitions from trot to halt on straight line to fixed point, lining up to simulate mounting from fixed object, backing through simple turn, walking and halting over foreign surface i.e. bridge, shallow ditch, etc.

Hey Boo!!!! Bobby looks great! I cant believe how big he has gotten. Congrats on a great final show season with Beau. Glad to see things are working out for you. What happened with the selling of the houses and your husbands job moving you guys all over?

Thanks Krazy. Sold both houses and ended up staying in TX after all. So boarding Bobby at a really cool place and leasing a house for now.

Have about 8 rides on Bobby now. Doing walk and posting trot in the round pen. Working on turning off my seat and leg aids. He gets things really quick. He is telling me he wants to canter, so may try that by Monday. He is a blast!!

Awesome.

I would go with it if hes offering the canter. I know some people wait until they are going for a month or so to canter but then they get nervous because they think they will act up. I read and have to agree with the fact that if you start off cantering in the beginning, it is no big deal to you or them and training down the road is much easier. I cantered Rex u/s (in a round pen) for his 5th ride (3rd ride off the line and doing more than walking) and have cantered him pretty much every ride since.

Cant wait to see u/s pics.

BTW... going to Rexs first u/s show Saturday... inside the BIG indoor arena... oy!

Every horse I have ever started has been cantering within the first 10 rides or so. They like to do it and I have never really worried about them acting up.

How did the show go? I took Bobby to a show yesterday and did the In-hand Versatility class. He did awesome. Next time I'll ride him, but that won't be till August.

Show went really really well. First test was tense and he decided to turn the walk between x and c movement into a stop, turn, balk, get light up front, walk, stop, sidestep movement. Going back towards the judge for the circle in intro a was fun and our trot to walk transition between c and h was a halt and turn to face the judge. LOL We got a 53.75%. My trainer showed up that morning (surprised me as I had not spoken to him about coming as hes out of town, this is just a schooling show and just me going, and hes recovering from shingles) and he worked Rex a little between classes. Second ride was much better. I just put my trust into Dean and Rex and kept those legs glued to his sides and put my hands forward. I felt like I was on a keg of dynamite but he was trying so hard to focus. Intro B was much better and we came away with a 66.88% and 1st place and our first qualifying score for our gmos championships.

Here is a link to my post on UDBB with photos and a link to the intro b video

http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=226882

Hey guys,

That is so fantastic about both your horses!!! I saw on FB about your show and that's fantastic about Rex!!!!! So proud of you guys!!!

Boocoo, so glad to hear about your update on what has happened. Glad Bobby is doing so fantastic and offering so much. What a fun youngster you have on your hands!!!

Congrats to both of you!!!

Sounds like a great show Krazy. I will have to go check out the photos.

PMJ, how are things with you? Long time no talk to!!!

I have been cantering Bobby and we are going to have our first ride out of the round pen tomorrow, in the big arena. It is completely fenced in, so will shut the gate and see how he does!!! First lesson is a week from Tuesday. So that will also be his first ride away from home!

Awesome job Shantel. I just love Rex. He is a stunning mover! And you my friend look FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!!

Thanks Boo!!! 50lbs and counting though everyone says Im losing more the scale doesnt say so but my clothes do? Who knows!

Cant wait to see some pics and vids of you and Bobby! Hope your lesson is good!

Thanks Pamela! I stalk you on FB too! :winking:

I do need to get some pics of me riding Bobby. Rode him in the outdoor for the first time yesterday, out of the round pen. He was a tad nervous, but handled it well. We just did walk and trot. He can actually do a pretty decent 20M circle. Will do that a couple of times and then canter out there. He enjoys cantering!!! My first lesson is a week from today. I hope to show him in some schooling shows this fall.

Wow he has grown!!! Looks lovely Boocoo!!

I just happened to come across an ad of horsecity and was thinking I haven't been on here in ages!

Hey 3day, how ya doing? Still have the ever so lovely Scotch? Hope things are going well for you!

Bobby is really growing a lot this year. He is 16 hands now, my trainer thinks he'll be 16.2 or 16.3 That will be a nice size for me. I have taken him for a couple of lessons now. He is doing quite well. Nice mover and he feels great to ride!!

That's a nice size Boocoo! He looks like a lovely young horse! How old is he now?

Oh goodness much has happened to me! Yes I still have Scotch but he's been stall bound for the last 4 months. We went to Aiken at the end of Feb where I competed him...came home...he had a couple weeks off and then he came up lame. Such a shame as he was going really really well. Eventing and dressage. Even had his flying changes. A bit over enthusastic about them.

He's back to walking under saddle...not allowed to do anything else until his feet are fixed.

Lets see...oh I got engaged! Looking for a new job...guess that's it! I have lots of new pictures...but they are all on facebook. Not sure if you have facebook, Boo?

Edited by 3DayEventer

Hi 3Day. Congrats on getting engaged. Hope you get Scotch fixed up.

Boocoo how tall are you? Just wondering after watching some horses go at another Ulf clinic. They kept getting bigger as the day went on. Not to much difference in rider size though. At the most recent one a lady said" I would 2 like her (about Cheese) in my barn only 17h."She was only a few inches taller then me. I just don't get the big horse thing I guess.

3 Day, congrats on getting engaged. When is the big day? I have two wedding this year. One is a good friend at church and the other is my niece in Oklahoma. Sorry to hear about Scotch's woes. He is such a lovely horse. Bobby is 3 years and 3 months. I am doing walk, trot, canter and just working on suppleness and forward right now. He is doing a very good job. I haul to my trainer for a lesson every two weeks or so.

CSA, I am 5'9" tall. I think a lot of folks thing they need a 17h behemoth, then they get one and have trouble riding so much power!! LOL!!! I feel good on Bobby now and he is just now 16 hands. Will probably get to be 16.2 or 16.3. Beau is 16.2 and that is a nice size.

I am heading off to ride Bobby now! Attached a picture from the other day. Kind of blurry, taken with by my sister with her cell phone. I think Bobby still looks very much like a baby. A good looking baby though! :D He still has a lot of growing to do over the next two to three years according to his breeder. His bottom line is slow growing and maturing, so we just take it easy.

post-1098-0-54706100-1343512882_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Boocoo

Thanks ladies! Oh the big day is quite a ways away. June 14th 2014 is when we will be getting married.

sounds like Bobby is doing great! How exciting for you! He's so very cute!

I've linked my photoalbum with some "newer" pictures from this past year and last summer/winter. Not many flatting pictures! There's a picture from a Julio Mendoza clinic that I attended in November. That was SO much fun and I got my butt worked off!! I'd go back to him in a heart beat!

Pictures-Scotch