Sign in to follow this  
NapoleonMyBaby

So, I Got A Paso Fino

I have a new 8 year old Paso Fino,They used him, but didn't gait with him :bang_head: so I was wondering :questionicon: , since I'm new with gaited horses, how do I get him to gait, instructions? thanks in advance :happy0203:

I guess they trained it out of him :confused0024: ? do you have any advice? other than get a trainer, cuz my friend is one, he's out of town for like a month and I kinda wanted to help him out, because I've heard it's a pain in the behind :blink:

You may not want to hear this, but you just bought a "problem." I've never heard of a Paso Fino that would not gait. Are you sure of what you bought? Did you know what you were buying? Did the seller know what you did and didn't know?

G.

I agree wth Guilerme. Paso's gait is SO ingrained in the breed, there are variations within the gait, some are smoother than others, but its not often that one doesn't gait. Did you get papers with this horse? Can you put up pictures of this horse? I worked on a paso farm for years and never saw ONE that didn't gait from birth.

~stars

The only Paso Fino I was able to ride did not gait. She trotted. I was sorely disappointed, because at the time they were my dream breed.

:confused0024:

Could it not be a case of like a crop out that doesn't gait? Not sure if that makes sense. I know what I am trying to say though lol.

Think dressage, I was in the same boat a year ago with my Paso. I had no experience with gaited horses and thought he wasn't well gaited because he would always trot. I worked with a dressage trainer using a snaffle bit and got him collected while working off of his hind end. The difference was amazing he got so smooth at the largo and corto I barely moved in the saddle. I still need to work on getting it more consistently but that's me not him (well when he has a good attitude about being ridden in an arena setting). His breeder recommended cantering the snot out of him with a lot transitions from largo to canter.

Think dressage, I was in the same boat a year ago with my Paso. I had no experience with gaited horses and thought he wasn't well gaited because he would always trot. I worked with a dressage trainer using a snaffle bit and got him collected while working off of his hind end. The difference was amazing he got so smooth at the largo and corto I barely moved in the saddle. I still need to work on getting it more consistently but that's me not him (well when he has a good attitude about being ridden in an arena setting). His breeder recommended cantering the snot out of him with a lot transitions from largo to canter.

This is great advice. I hope I get to try another Paso some day.

the story was that the previous owners son rode him but wanted him to trot and gallop instead of gaiting all the time, he's been being ridden like that for 8 years more or less

What kind of saddle has this horse been ridden in?

If your Paso was in a saddle that hurt it's shoulders every time it tried to do it's natural gait.

I can see where it developed a trot to defending it's self from pain.

The tree of a trotting horse saddle looks like a rectangle. Same width front to back.

The tree of a gaited saddle looks like a capitol letter Y. Wider at the front to accommodate the free-movement of the horses' shoulders and scapula.

If you want great gaited training info and DVDs at a very reasonable price:

http://www.gaitedhorsemanship.com

http://whitesellgaitedhorsemanship.com

There is a link to a true gaited saddle Mr. Whitesell designed. It has the Y shape and the natural balance style seat that gives the rider the correct heel in line with the body seat:

http://freedomsaddle.com

Unlike many clinicians, he doesn't sell anything but his DVDs.

:happy0203:

Good Luck with your new Paso!!!

Ok Heres the deal on Paso Finos.

They are born with the inherited gait. But with that being said a lot of outside factors can effect gait.

First thing you need to know is that some Pasos have better/stronger gait than others. Just like people, we are all different and have different strengths and natural abilities. There are also different execution styles of the gait which is dictated by breeding and conformation.

But heres what it sounds like to me.... The horse was taught and used to trot and canter so thats what it has learned to do. Since Pasos can do all the gaits of non gaited horses and they are very smart...it only stands to reason that they can be trained "not to gait", even if by mistake or out of rider ignorance on how to ride pasos.

First let me ask what kind of tack you are using. Bits can play a huge role in headset/gait. And since the previous owner did't ride him in traditional paso tack (I'm assuming) his head set is probably off.

Second, do you ever see flashes of his gait, say when he gets scared or nervous you see his gait come out?

Third I would suggest working him in very tight circles on the ground. Check out some youtube vidz of trainers working pasos on the ground. It's not really the same as lounging exactly. The smaller circle promotes them to gait. Remember, gait is the same foot fall as walking....just sped up and collected. So I also suggest lots of walking, while pushing him with your seat for speed, and at the same time keeping contact with the mouth. If there is any traditional training in him at all, you should see him spark and remember some of this stuff.

Can you post some pix and vidz for me. I have some tack suggestions but I'd like to see him in motion.

Also, remember when working on his gait when riding, don't let him trot, even if you have to do a slow gait, as soon as he moves into the two beat trot bring him back down to the 4 beat. I had to work on this some with my Paso. Good luck and have fun! I love my Paso! My avatar is his pic. :smilie:

You may not want to hear this, but you just bought a "problem." I've never heard of a Paso Fino that would not gait. Are you sure of what you bought? Did you know what you were buying? Did the seller know what you did and didn't know?

G.

I'm new and have held back but I think that Guilherme has a point. The gate is "built into" the Paso so it would be difficult, unless someone was hard on the horse, to beat it out of him.

Try double reins, one to the bit and the other side pull as primaries to tuck his head in some and leave the bit reins loose. Start slow but you want him to get out of a walk and into the next speed, looking for a corto of some kind. If he goes into a trot, that Pasos really can not do, then pull him back some on the side reins. You are trying to "collect" the horse that will help with his gate.

You can use a halter with the side "rings" for the now primary reins if needed so you don't have to go find/spend money.

Look in my "New Member" thread: Sereno, I have a photo posted with typical Paso head tack.

That should tell you a lot.

I guess that I should ask cause I didn't note: HAVE you experience with a Paso?

Wishing you luck.

Edited by Sereno