Sign in to follow this  
BurgundyBlankets

Is This Normal? Ideas Please

So Dimitri is a month old now (23 of April) and I think Annie is trying to wean him already. I have 4 horses including Dimitri on 2.5-3 acre pasture. All open, I can see the whole thing. Annie and Dimitri are on Junior Glo by ADM. 6 lbs between the 2 of them. Annie from the gecko has pushed Dimirti away from her hay and grain. I started tying her at grain time and Dimitri gets 1lb to himself in his own pan. So 5 for her,1 for him. Hay, I take 3 flakes (4 string large square) out in the am, divide into 6 piles. So hay in am, grain in pm. They also have the pasture so no one is lacking.

What I'm concerned with is that Annie is not sharing her food (hay or grain) with him, leaves him literally across the pasture, when hes scared he runs to the geldings over his mom, and she only lefts him nurse on HER TERMS. If shes eating, forget it. He so far is in great body condition. But I want it to stay that way. I can't creep feed at this time because the geldings will do everything in their power to get to it. I don't have stalls or a barn for that matter. I'm thinking about asking the neighbors if I can put the boys or mom/baby in their grass patch. It about. 5 acre, won't last long but if I put one of them over there just for the day I think I'd beable to creep feed Dimitri. Then he'd have grain 8-12 hours out of the day and beable to nurse when Annie allows him too.

My Amish farrier even made the comment that she is truly to fat the be effectively nursing him.

Is it normal for mares to push foals away this far this early? I truly wasn't expecting this as she has taken any other weaning that we've purchased or weaned for the local breeder under her wing.

Any ideas? Supplements? I'm afraid to work her because I don't want to encourage this behaviour. Makes me sad. What can I do to help Dimitri?

Have you checked her for possible mastitis? If she has infection going on it could be very painful for her to let him nurse. Is this her first foal?

~stars

Nope no mastitis. I should have added that. She lets me milk her fine. Shes producing... yes this is her first foal. She has been Babysitter and nanny for plenty of foals in the past though.

She kind of turned b**** after having him. She beat the crape out of Czar. He needed it but still. And now shes being a super loner. I don't know whats up her hiney but she needs it removed.... yesterday!!

You may need to tie her up, and bring the foal in to allow him to nurse. Don't give her a choice. This is way to young to wean, and can cause problems. I've worked with mares that we had to snub and twitch to allow the foal to nurse. It sounds like she is trying to reject the foal, which is mostly common with maidens. Get on it, or may end up hand feeding (not the best option) or finding a nurse mare.

~stars

I don't understanding WHY shes doing it. This is a new thing. The last few days. He is persistent enough that she finally lets him do it.

Yeah shes definitely getting close to being snubbed every 3 hours if I can't figure out how else to fix her.

Thoughts about putting her on mare magic to smooth her moods until hes weaned? 2 more months and ill be OK (not happy) with her rejecting him.

She's probably coming in to her 30 day heat and is hormonal. If she was a good Mom for the first 4 weeks and NOW is a bia-- I will wager she'll turn around once her ovaries are under control. In the mean time, if he's eating solids and is not dropping weight I wouldn't worry TOO much. Obviously, keep a close eye on things.

Okay. That makes sense because she has been bia super bad, the last 2 days. As in walking away from me, being pushy, not caring about baby, turning my 3yr old into a mouthing weaning whenever she approaches him. So.. ill just watch.

Thank you guys!

Update: I over reacted... yup I did. I just catch them on a bad day. The next day she was lifting her belly and leg so he could get in there again. Yes she still leaves him gosh knows where in the pasture and he is found hanging with the guys more times than with her. But all is well and normal. Ill get new pictures to prove it this evening. :)

My FIL always picked those foals out of his herd to keep for himself. He loved the independant types because he ride alone a lot.

Your mare is comfortable in her pasture and doesn't worry about her foal. This says good things about you, not necessarily bad about your mare!

Even when we are out of the pasture and in the yard she doesn't worry about him to much. She might get perky then ill remind her I'm there, walk her the opposite way then he usually comes running back. This little sucker isn't going anywhere. I LOVE how independent he is. He can be 10' from his mom and still pick up all 4 feet on a loose rope. And he remembers lessons from lesson to lesson even if there are a few days between. :)

I never looked at it that way... thank you for opening up my mind to that.