Brandy Deffes

Old School Customer Service

I live in an area where I really have one choice of a feed store. The other day while working about 40 miles away in a more "horse friendly" area, I found a feed store that looked like a feed store and not a pet supply store that just happened to carry equine supplies. The store even has the old wooden floors (it's the small things in life that bring back great memories!).

I began asking the young girl behind the counter about what feeds they carry. Instead of the common reply "What are you feeding now? We carry that", she recommended I speak with her manager who would be best to explain their feeds. (Note the word 'explain'). Within 20 seconds, the manager comes out and I begin asking about the feed. He then proceeds to ask about my horse, personality, health, etc.,. At this point, my eyes are about popping outta my head as I am thinking "Thank you God, finally someone who knows what they are talking about." After discussing their full line and what his recommendations were (which was to stay with what I was using), he offered to come look at Jaeger. "Ma'am, I would be more than happy to come see,weigh and score your horse for you and give any other further recommendations on supplements and feed." Insert my gasping for air expression. I thanked him bought two bags of feed (btw..$4 per bag cheaper than the other store).

I can't even begin to remember the last time I received true customer service. I think I was giddy for the rest of the day!

That's awesome!

I hope you can continue to shop there, and direct your friends that way as well.

Ditto to what Eskie said. That kind of customer service is dying very quickly. People generally just don't care anymore. I'd keep going there, even though it's a distance away. They sound like they're genuinely interested in your horse's needs.

I wish we could find some place like that here. I'd be willing to drive the distance for a good feed store (we only really have TSC and they reek).

That is awesome. We have SFA and one time when I called and asked if they had any snaffle bits they said "what's that?".

Sounds like the place I went to for years on the north shore. Am I right?

There aren't many of those around new orleans. I don't miss that. And all the lousy but expensive hay, good riddance!

Btw, I had a horse named J?ger too. :)

I live in New Jersey so not going to get that kinda service here...New Jersey is Attitude will a capital A. I can say that since I was born & raised here. Sure would be nice to have that service you experienced at any type of store

Sounds like the place I went to for years on the north shore. Am I right?

There aren't many of those around new orleans. I don't miss that. And all the lousy but expensive hay, good riddance!

Btw, I had a horse named J?ger too. :)

This little gem is smack dab right in Covington off Columbia St. Love it ! That is the one plus I get for having to travel that gosh forsaken Causeway!

You might remember my Jaeger...he was the paint in the back pasture with TPL's horses. In his former "life" he was also known as Buddy. He is soooo not a Buddy.

Hope all is well your way! (I am slightly jealous....you're back in my home state :-) )

:yahoo: For good service!

I'm really lucky we have three places that sell feed and all of them hire people that are willing to help.

One local place has two sections, a building for ranch and farm animals and a second building that has dog & cat supplies and sells exotics that range from sea anemones to snakes to zebra finches. They have people there that are happy to give you the knowledge to keep your pets healthy & happy. They even do free water testing for salt & fresh water fish tanks! Plus, low cost shot clinics two times a month for cats & dogs!