NapoleonMyBaby

First Time Getting A Filly!

Hi guys :happy0203: , I'm getting a new two month old filly and I need as many tips as possible, I know about horses, but I'm not that sure that they are the same as young little things, so as many tips would be awesome, also, about how big are two month old fillies? :questionicon:

Then you basically have an orphan, because she's too young to be without her mother. Hope you have a good vet to help you out.

could one of our other horses mother her? would we have to buy supplements and milk? aaahhhh :bang_head:

No

Sounds like you do NOT need to be getting this filly. I would go to your local barn and take some lessons, learn about horses first then work with a trainer on getting a broke nice gelding and keeping it at the boarding barn. You will learn more about owning a horse with a trainer/barn owner supervising everything.

Please please please do not take this filly in. You will be doing more harm than good as much as you want to help her out its best to let someone with experience, especially experience with Orphans/broodmares/breeding etc they will know how to take care of it.

Edited by storey

How long has this baby been without its mother? I would def advice against taking on this responsibility, orphan foals are a challenge for even the most experienced horse person......

oh no. oh so sad. i HATE to hear these stories. agree with the others, the owner of said mare needs to be shot or at least have their azz whopped. its one thing for a true orphan, but on purpose?! yes, this baby still needs milk, and lots of supps. alot of it depends on how long shes been away from mom. serious structural issues and possible stunted growth for this foal. and a lot if not most/all babies taken too early from their mothers will be mouthy (i.e. bite), they need that suckling- pure physiological. wow, yeah- danger Will Robertson!

then maybe I will not take it in, I told the owner she should get the mother back and keep her, I think she took my advice, so I'm glad I posted this, maybe I'll wait a few months, thank you guys sooo much, :smilie:

assuming the owner took back the dam, or the baby is with the dam, how long would it take for me to take the baby, I don't like how that sounds, for me to adopt the filly? would it be until she gets weaned? :questionicon:

Ideally a foal should not leave it's dam until 6 months. However weaning as early as 4-5 months is not unheard of. 2 months is too early.

I want to say "Thank You" for getting the mare and foal back together!

:yay:

Is the mare well trained and a quality horse?

If the mare is a horse that fits your needs...

and you can afford to keep and save both of them. It might be an option for you.

If not, your doing the right thing to keep looking.

Good Luck with finding the perfect horse for you!

:smileywavey:

PS it took four years for me to find the horse that fit my requirements and my price.

So hold on and remember that when you ride your new horse. All the time and money spent looking. Will be worth it!

Edited by dondie

I believe I am gonna get the dam and the filly, is that ok?

MUCH better for the foal. Since I don't know you and your experience level (I'm guessing not a lot, especially with foals), couldn't say if it's ok for YOU or not. I do hope you have someone experienced to help you out. Foals require quite a bit of teaching to be good citizens and respect their humans. Starting with teaching them what a halter is for, and general handling of the whole body. Always remember they are cute NOW, but they do grow up. If you don't want a 1000 pound horse doing it to you, don't let baby get away with it either. They remember, and continue on as started.

I believe I am gonna get the dam and the filly, is that ok?

See my answer above.

I got a call in the middle of typing my answer so I hadn't read your last post.

Think hard to determine if this mare will be what you need, before you buy her.

If you decide yes, here are two books that should help:

John Lyons:

http://www.amazon.com/John-Lyons-Bringing-Baby-Progressive/dp/1929164122

Training Your Foal:

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Your-Foal-Raising-Backing/dp/3861279045

Excellent DVDs & training program:

Clinton Anderson's

The barn I work at and were I will keep my horse, there are people that have been with horses since forever, and they know a lot, the dam is a quality horse, amazing thing really, and OF COURSE I will be getting help, thank you guys, and tips would be great :notworthy:

And also, when I get her I will try to post pictures so you guys can see how it's going and you can give me pointers on what to do, that is if you want :unsure: but thanks you guys soooo much :smile:

I will :happy0203: , I have three names but I can't decide, both need new names, I have Brown Sugar, Lucky, and Tango, they are both blonde, which do you guys prefer? :smilie:

YEY!!! you are awesome, great job! we ALWAYS love pix! thank you for hearing us out and actually taking action! wonderful! :yay: now this filly has a much more brighter future. :jump:

I may seem harsh saying this, but if you are honestly asking them questions on a forum as well as then having to do it with help off the back of others, then I would strongly advise NOT getting either of them.

Not meant offensively or preachingly.

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2