Sign in to follow this  
MelodieCuffin

Zips Chocolate Chip

I am going to be buying a mare that is a granddaughter out of zips chocolate chip. I had read he was one of the top sires in the country. What can anybody tell me about the offspring? My new mare is seven and with show experience but would love to know more about this stallion. :smilie:

He is a very popular stallion with most of his stock showing in western and english pleasure events. You can find his foals registered in AQHA, APHA, and ApHC. As with anything there are some good and some not so good. He was the "IT" horse for some time so IMO very over bred. He did put some very nice horse on the ground that are world/congress champs and top level show horses.

The ones I've seen and or ridden tended to be on the ...fragile side both mentally and physically. Mentally I found them very sensitive to discipline and how they handle stress. Physically, I thought fine boned. Again this is my experience.

The one I am buying is a good trail horse and shown for the last 2 years in the local aqha here in ohio. She is 15.1 and 1200 lbs very stocky but an elegance about her She really has a very nice trot and canter smooth and slow. I trail ridden her now a couple times and really like her. I really am not looking for a show horse just a good horse that is safe and to have fun with and maybe get back into trail show classes. The vet check is tommorow and hope to bring her home this weekend.

if you google him you'll find hes in the top AQHA leading sires.

I have a daughter of his I'm breeding now and she's is gorgeous. He makes nice solid horses with nice legs and feet.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your mare, they are a great bloodline.

My gelding is a grandson. I've used him for trail riding and showing and he's been great. He can get a bit hot at times (which has got better with age), but his mom was also that way, so I don't necessarily relate that to ZCC. Sounds like a nice horse... trail riding is a lot more fun on a nice smooth horse!

i have a granddaughter who is my pony horse, she has ponied quite a few hot babies. she is just solid as a rock, mind and body. also mine looks d@mn good for her age! :happy0203:

The craziest horse I have ever ridden was a ZCC son. He'd be fine one minute and a completely insane bronc the next. I have heard that this is not uncommon in ZCC get. The only other direct offspring I knew personally was good minded but had some soundness issues. I guess from my experience I would ditto the sensitive minded and fine boned. If the mare you are looking at is sound and not obviously crazy you will probably have an exceptional mover and a nice horse on your hands.

Who's the sire? That may say a lot more about her than one grandparent.

skipp is it possible the oneyou owned was a training issue? or perhaps its a male ZCC thing. cuase I`ve owned two daughters and both were impecably well behaved. THe first one we owned was an 8th place mare in the wp at the AQHA world show. the mare we own now has never been shown but has a better mind than some show horses

skipp is it possible the oneyou owned was a training issue? or perhaps its a male ZCC thing. cuase I`ve owned two daughters and both were impecably well behaved. THe first one we owned was an 8th place mare in the wp at the AQHA world show. the mare we own now has never been shown but has a better mind than some show horses

It very well could have been. It wasn't a horse that I owned, but it was one I went to look at buying. It had been at the trainer's and had just came back. The owners called him green and they were obviously afraid of him but they just said he was green. I got on him and seemed like your average spooky, reactive, baby type horse at first. Not broke, not dangerous, not confident, just your average green horse. Then I asked him to lope with just a tiny bit of leg. He threw his head between his knees and just bucked like a crazy bronc. No warning, no head toss, no ear flick back, nothing. Just explosive bucking. I came off after the 5th buck or so and by the time I got up and my breath back (about a minute later) he was still bucking at the other end of the arena. The owners had to corner him to get him to stop. Then they told me they had done their "8 seconds on him" too. They are lucky I didn't sue them for not warning me, as I couldn't ride due to a back injury for the next few months.

I really don't know what his problem was; training, pain, breeding, or whatever, but it certainly was something. I do know the fine boned horse was a mare and she was sweet and nice moving, just not reliably sound. I wonder if it is a male get thing? Or maybe it's like Impressive, when you get a bad minded one they are so extraordinarily bad that they just really stick out in your mind.

Don't teach them anything you don't want them to know! There a mare down the road from me. I believe a daughter. Absolutely beautiful animal. Owner sent her away for 30 days. Got her back and she was fine. Owner decided to push her to fast and to hard. Got bucked off while he had a broken arm, didn't get back on that day. Rode her once at home after that and she developed a bucking problem after that. Now shes a baby machine. Makes me really sad. I would love to buy her and rehab her, but she isn't for sale. In this case it was definitely owner error. Hes a gross rider to begin with. Unbalanced, contact happy, was riding her in a TT. Yup not her fault.

I uploaded a picture of my boy.

gallery_12973_1044_47234.jpg

That was after riding the most insanely difficult eq pattern I have ever seen and getting the blue. I was actually pregnant with my daughter too. Since then I haven't been showing him as much, as I also have my younger Pinto mare I've been focusing on getting shown. I did some walk trot schooling shows earlier this year just to give him something to do, and lately he's been packing my daughter around, who is now 2. Fortunately, he knows to ignore her kicking him and yelling "GO GO GO". :rolleye0014: I might have a barrel racer on my hands. The only minor issues I've had with him is weak stifles... if I don't keep him ridden regularly he gets weak, and has a hard time holding his lope. Other than that he's been great.