Sign in to follow this  
Ivory Annie

Forgetting Child In Car?

One time one of my children stuck one of their life-sized baby dolls in the little one's carseat. I'd forgotten about it and was out running errands during the day (good ol' scorching New Mexico heat), sans children, and went to get in my Jeep and noticed the shape of a baby in the back.

In the fraction of a millisecond it took for my eyes to see the baby and my brain to process logically that it A)wasn't real, B)that neither of my children were infants, and C)nor were they with me, it was still more then enough time for my sensibilities to be pitched head-long into panic.

I took the baby doll out of the seat and put it on the floor lol. I can't really explain it, but something about it made me uneasy. Even though fleeting and illogical, that mini panic attack was horrid and it took a few minutes for my heart rate to come back down lol.

I couldn't help but wonder how many people walked past my car and went ballistic seeing the shape of a baby left in there. They probably walked off cursing me out for a sick joke lol.

I can't really explain it, but something about it made me uneasy.

I'm having the same feeling right now ... I want to laugh, because it is sort of funny (since no one was harmed) ... but I can't, because the situation just seemed a little too real.

It may have only been a doll, but the panic-feeling is a very real response.

Ya know?

I'm having the same feeling right now ... I want to laugh, because it is sort of funny (since no one was harmed) ... but I can't, because the situation just seemed a little too real.

It may have only been a doll, but the panic-feeling is a very real response.

Ya know?

Exactly it. Even though I was cognizant of fact, I had absolutely zero control over my physiological response. Me no likey!

I'm sorry, but there is too much information about "Forgetting a child" out in the news, in verbal stories, even at prenatal classes and in baby books warning about the danger. For me to believe the excuse "I didn't know" or "I forgot." :angry:

Yet every summer some child or pet is killed all across the country, because it was left in a vehicle to die.

^^^ so is it done on purpose? :questionicon:

IMO, the warnings are present because of the Very Real Danger of forgetting a child/pet. Hence the cautions to be alert, aware and responsible.

I forget a LOT of things. I don't choose to forget the things I forget, it just happens.

I'm not saying forgetting is an excuse or a reason to dismiss responsibility or accountability. The only way to avoid it happening is to be aware and constantly alert towards our responsibilities. Hence: the reminders.

Tragedy in the Backseat

Reading these stories is so upsetting. There is a good reminder in the comments section about having a teddy bear in the seat when the child is not in the seat, and then putting the bear with your purse or other things when the child is in the car. It discusses the habitual memory part of the brain as well.

To be honest, I think that many of the kids who were "forgotten" were left there to die. Some people shake them to death, some people place pillows over their faces, some people let the car roll into a lake and claim the kids were kidnapped.

This can be a parent with Munchhausen by proxy, the parent who wants out of the responsibility, the parent who resents their cranky teething infant, the step-parent/new flame who resents having to deal with a kid who isn't "theirs", etc.

Years ago, I stopped at the grocery store for ice and left the car running so that my mom & younger siblings could stay cool in the 110* summer heat.

When I was heading back a fire truck, ambulance & sherrif rolled in with lights & sirens on. There was a brand new BMW sedan and one of the box-boys was trying to use a bent hanger to unlatch the door while other people watched. I saw one of my friend's husband (fireman) use a tool to smash the back window. A well dressed woman came running up and screeching about damaging her new car and getting glass on the upholstery!

He pushed her aside and opened the door so that he could remove a car seat with an unconscious toddler strapped in. The paramedics snatched up the toddler and raced off with him.

The woman just started yelling about how "Angry my husband is going to be that you ruined my new car!" When she tried to hit my friend's husband the sheriff handcuffed her and was reading her rights.

The woman claimed she'd just forgot her baby in the car when she went to buy groceries. She had a shopping list that had baby items on it. She didn't purchase anything for the toddler and she'd been wandering around the store for a couple of hours!

She had a trial, was convicted and found guilty.

I don't think you could forget your child if you did something simple, like keep your purse on the floor of the backseat. It should remind you to take your offspring out. Especially if your purse is inside a diaper bag. Kinda stupid to remember the diaper bag and forget the kid. I always kept my diaper bag on the floor in front of the carseat and, even now, I keep my purse in front of LJ's booster seat. I have never forgotten a dog, let alone my child. Heck, I am careful if I have to run errands and I pick up some crickets for chicken treats. I don't even forget the bugs, for Pete's sake! That being said, the stories scared me enough to not take any chances.

I always wonder if people were drunk, drugged up, or did it on purpose. I don't trust people these days. Too many kids disappear and parents 'lawyer up' right away. Too many 'forget' their kids in car seats. Maybe they didn't want to admit they were drinking and driving. Or that they did it on purpose.

Edited by Little Cow

i don't forget the potable water in my car before it gets so hot it breeds bacteria. my chapstick before it melts, and my dog, before HE would melt. i don't have children, but i cannot imagine even in the most jetlaggedness, sleepdeprivedness state, forgetting a child or a dog in a car that's like an oven.

It's far from being a child... but the other day I had a piece of equipment running in my lab. The day was a bit crazy, I had some people in removing hazardous chemicals, and I was getting tires put on my personal car so had to ride to work with my husband. I also had a rare afternoon meeting, and we also left a little early to load some hay. Anyhow, it was about 10 pm and I was putting things in the dryer and preparing to go to bed, and out of the blue I remembered... I left the machine running! Luckily, no harm was done, but I totally understand how it is possible to forget pretty important things, and THAT is what freaks me out so much about stories like this. I generally put my purse in the back seat as a reminder. I also usually leave my car keys back at this machine when it's running, but since I didn't have my car that day that plan didn't work.

I have never forgotten a child or a dog in a car, but I HAVE, twice now, opened the hatch-back with the intention to let my dog out and absolutely had a heart attack when she wasn't there .... until I realized that she wasn't with me in the first place. I have been sick the last month and changed my routines ... I've been tired and out of sorts and that's all that was needed for my memory lapses.

2009, michigan passed a law, it is illegal to leave children under the age of 6 in car un supervised. A child age 6 -12 can only be left in the car,if supevised by someone..age..13 or older in the car. ..

.Age 13 is questionable.. not, many 13 year olds are responsible, always talking with thier friends, etc... get easily sidetrcked/distracted, even theycan be kidnapped from a car.. Whoever passed this law wasn't thinking to clearly in my opinion. Also imagine the reponsibility that was put on that 13 year old child, if something had happened ,imagine thier overwhelming guilt, suffer by blaming themselves...

does anyone else see what the other possibility could have been what could have happened within thsose ten minutes ,when she ran into the store ,by leaving her windows rolled down. Her children could ahve been kidnapped.....in theat short amount of time..

http://muskegon.wzzm13.com/news/news/71703-woman-charged-leaving-kids-car-walmart

Nacole Beane turned herself into Muskegon County District Court Tuesday. The

charge is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 93-days in jail and fines. Beane

says she knows now she made a mistake. "And I have to learn from it and accept

my consequences."

On the afternoon of July 7th ,the mother of a one, two, and six-year old says

she went to the Walmart on Sherman Avenue in Fruitport Township for supplies to

take to a birthday party. After her one-year old baby fell asleep during the

short drive to the store, Beane says she decided to park near the store's

entrance and go in without her children. While inside, a bystander called police

to report three children were in a car, with the windows down, and without

supervision.

A Michigan law passed in 2009 makes it a crime to leave any child under the

age of six in a car without supervision. Children under the age of six must be

supervised by someone thirteen or older.

Child Protective Services have been notified and a caseworker is waiting

until later to determine if any action is needed. Beane says she fears

prosecutors will make an example out of her.

"I am not an unfit mother, my kids are not abused."

yes she is owning up to it, relizes her mistake, she was very very lucky nothing else had happen to her children.She does have a second chance with her children. where many others that didn't think ahead, forgot thier children left them unsuprvised will never get that second chance..

My dad came upon a preschool aged child alone in a car who was sitting and playing in the drivers seat he quickly parked behind the carbecause said parking lot was on big hill, kid then knocked the car into neutral and it slid back into his van which was great versus the heavy traffic on the road just behind, mother of child came out raising **** because car had a scratch from hitting his car.........