Sign in to follow this  
NaughtyNeigh2

To Those That Remember, The Orphan Miniature Foal.....

Those of you may remember the badness which is Tottie, our little miniature shetland foal who lost his mum at about 4 weeks old last year.

600506_383249585065456_1418842411_n.jpg

Well, he's still here and officially a year old now :)

185011_383247141732367_1450344987_n.jpg

285705_383247211732360_1392147089_n.jpg

282376_383247228399025_1629814177_n.jpg

282959_383247288399019_94962532_n.jpg

550956_383247121732369_1551217661_n.jpg

:D Cuteness. Lol. He has daily walk past a care home, who love him bless him. He's a bit of a novelty...as he is about the size of a jack russel bless him!

He is unbeleiveably cute. He had quite a few problems bless him, he had to have fortnightly trims for about 8 months as he was literally walking on his heels bless him so had to keep taking them back to try and get his toes down. They're now almost back to normal and upright again now, so that's one thing checked off. He has a few issues with his weight, he struggles to keep weight on a bit, but he's getting there now! Rather a little bit lean than too fat I guess! Vet just thinks where he lost his mum so early, it's just left him a bit backwards, and he won't grow much more in height bless him. So he's going to be an extra miniature one lol.

He's happy and healthy and full of beans though!

Pointless post just to make you smile lol.

:D Bless him, he's our yard mascot haha :)

Yes quite different lol! We don't really do ponies or little ones, but we got a phone call from his breeder last year when they lost his mum and asked if we could take him....so we did! He arrived in the back of the car lol :)

He is tiny and cute for sure. My mini has become the neighborhood mascot too as I take her for walks as well.

Do they have the special extra protein miniature feed over there? I ask because he does look to lean honestly. As a mini owner being able to see hip bones and ribs is never good on a horse that small. Mini's usually require extra protein so I know here in the US there is a special feed and my girl doesn't need it but for a stunted mini a lot of breeders use it.

Yep, trust me if you knew what that little guy got fed it would be shocking!

We had a virus on the yard over winter earlier this year which really affected him quite bad...it was bad enough on the cobby guys but he suffered quite bad weight loss wise.

Our feed sponsor is doing a case study on him currently alongside the vets on special protein plus supplements as well as extras such as red cell etc from his blood counts. Ad-lib haylage too plus turnout on good grass during the day now the weather is better [only for an hour or two currently...as very rich grass and he's not been out all winter.]. Though paddock made up just for him as needed extra low fencing and don't have anything small enough to keep him in with! Alongisde his own made-up 2ft3" rug bless him. Had to body clip him as he wasnt losing his winter woolies and didn't know if he had critters in there or not contributing to the weight loss [he didn't].

Littlest horse on the yard with the most problems!

Edited by NaughtyNeigh2

I totally understand, my breeder that I got my mare from had one that was a tough one to keep weight on. She got one of the Universities involved and that is when I found out about the extra protein needed. We keep in touch still 4 years later. I knew you had mentioned the vet involvement but my vet here didn't know didley about mini's and was advising me wrong. So glad to hear you guys have him doing great! I also know a lot of mini owners tend to hear a lot about keeping the weight off and over winter don't realize how much hair they have and come summer they realize how thin they actually are. I know I feel my mini once a week over winter through her yak coat to make sure I don't have ribs showing. The first year I had her I had ribs and had been cutting her back because she was looking fat, it was all hair and I felt horrible.

He sure is a handsome little man for sure.

With all the issues you mentioned and his size, has the possibilty of dwarfism been explored by the vet? Poor little guy. Glad he has good care.

Thankyou!

No, never thought about dwarfism tbh!

Pleased to say he's putting on weight again now, he's got his ribs covered up now and getting a bit of a round belly to him for the first time in ages.

I'll give it another 2 weeks and post new piccies of him to compare :)