Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

Wow...what A Shocker!

It started with my dog acting strange, like he heard and or, sensed something I could not. He kept barking and acting like he was afraid, then kept going to the window.

I told him to be quite, there wasn't anything/one out there and I'll prove it......I go to the window, prepared to say, " see, no one, now be quiet". Those words turned into......HOLY SCHIT!!! The house across the street was completely engulfed in flames.

The noises he was hearing, was the exploding of aerosol cans...I did hear something that sounded like loud, "pops" but figured the mine was blasting, as they do from time to time.

Earlier that day, I saw the neighbor outside with a weed burner, burning the weeds that were growing around the edges of the lawn and next to the house...guess he got too close. Last year, he burned part of his greenhouse, while burning off the weeds.

Three fire trucks, fire rescue and an ambulance....thank God they didn't need the rescue or the ambulance.

I found out, they are teachers and the wife has recently taken a job in Mesa....Phoenix area...and he was going to be joining her, with the three kids, soon, they had just put the house up for sale. House is a total loss.

My horses stood under their shade and watched it all...the wind was blowing, so that the smoke blew away from my house, for which I am greatful, because it was very thick and black and if it had blown towards my place, my horses are right there, just across the street, with no way to get away from it, I was prepared to go and put wet towles on their heads/faces...I'm glad I didn't have to!

I really feel for those people, they also lost the new Dodge Durango they bought just a few months ago, but, it't over 100 degrees here and windy yesterday, plus, he's come close to burning his house down, before and he STILL was out there with that stupid weed burner!

Well, you have a good watchdog! I hope the people had some good insurance. I am glad your horses weren't affected. How can someone do that when they know we live in a big ashtray? Maybe in the winter, but not now!!!

Holy toledo! I've never heard of using a weed burner. That's exactly why I would be too scared to use one even if I knew what it was! Is it pretty much like using a torch? I'll stick to my round up.

So thankful no one got hurt or worse. I think the dog needs an extra treat. :)

Yeah, a weed burner is basically a flame thrower and no one, in the DESERT, in 100 degree plus temps and WINDY, should be using one!

I hope his insurance company doesn't see it as his fault and refuse to pay...IF, they know the whole story, that is.

Here is a pic of Hubby using our weed-burner. You can tell by his clothing that it was cold out, and the grasses were dormant/brown. What you can't see, is the coiled garden hose (full-blast ON w/ nozzle and ready-to-go) which was between me and the fire.

Typically, we burn as a team. He burns, we both watch and I come behind after the vegetation has burned and soak with the hose. I will return and re-soak as he burns new areas and when he is done burning he puts his equipment aside to cool and takes over the hose to re-soak everything again.

Fire is one of our biggest fears.

lc.jpg

I just can't get over that man's ... stupidity? I mean, he'd already *had* a burn accident! I am glad no lives, or other people's property, were lost.

Was this your new, blind(?), rescue dog who alerted you?

Yeah,I will pass on the weed burner...that thing looks scary! :ashamed0002: Glad you use it the RIGHT way though!

Goes to show you that just because you have a degree, does not mean your smart!:rolleye0014:

What does he teach? Perhaps he lost his Tenure?

AD

If he does sitll , have insurance they will have it investigate it.........

sounds like our neighbors when we first moved here, they would burn thier ditch every spring on the windiest day our properties are connected. they have since passed years ago , next third generation moves in , it was past down in the genes...... did the same thing, the spring before my husbands death , burned part of our hay field, grass fire.. which started by them burning their ditch very windy day... last year, grass fire around his house. this spring he called the fire department to have his field burned down. needed it cleaned , the fire department didn't burn it on a windy day...

never failed , the neighbors before, and the neighbors now always have burned their ditch on the windiest day.

Edited by Ann Wheeler

Here is a pic of Hubby using our weed-burner. You can tell by his clothing that it was cold out, and the grasses were dormant/brown. What you can't see, is the coiled garden hose (full-blast ON w/ nozzle and ready-to-go) which was between me and the fire.

Typically, we burn as a team. He burns, we both watch and I come behind after the vegetation has burned and soak with the hose. I will return and re-soak as he burns new areas and when he is done burning he puts his equipment aside to cool and takes over the hose to re-soak everything again.

Fire is one of our biggest fears.

lc.jpg

I'm glad there are sane people who still use products in which they were intended....with common sense! I never saw him use a hose to douse the area with later.

Edited by equicrzy

Goes to show you that just because you have a degree, does not mean your smart!:rolleye0014:

What does he teach? Perhaps he lost his Tenure?

AD

I don't know what he teaches, for the longest time, I thought he didn't work, I never saw him leave the house, he was the one always home, while his wife came and went.

Edited by equicrzy

I just can't get over that man's ... stupidity? I mean, he'd already *had* a burn accident! I am glad no lives, or other people's property, were lost.

Was this your new, blind(?), rescue dog who alerted you?

I'm glad I don't live adjacent to him, none of the surrounding vegetation was burned, but, I would have had to stand outside with the hose ready. It was bad enough, being across the street, with the burning tumbleweeds blowing all around.

No, the blind dog, Jack, wasn't the one, it was my German Shepherd, Chopper....there's nothing that can happen outside that he doesn't know about and he makes sure *I* know it, too, loud and clear!

I don't know why, but, I took a couple of pics with my phone. I went out to see about my horses and after seeing they were not affected by it, just stood and watched...it's really amazing, I mean, it's a shame that those people lost their home and everything in it, but, it was kind of hard to NOT watch.

Edited by equicrzy

We had two fires in our city last year. We're in the prairies so it's dry dry dry and we have a TON of wind. They were both started by bonfires and nearly took out the west side of our city because the wind made them spread sooo fast. Whoever has a bonfire in 100 km/hr wind in the middle of the prairies has got to have a few screws loose. :duh:

I'm glad you and your horses were ok, what a scary sight to see out your front window!

Rumor has it, he had a seizure, or something like that and lost control of the burner. I'm not prepared to say that didn't happen, because I don't know, but, if you KNOW you have a condition that causes seizures, you don't go out on a hot, windy day, with a weed burner...seems he didn't have his cell phone with him, either, it was just he and his young son...8 or 9, maybe.

He did a few things wrong that day and he paid for it...I still feel bad for him, though.

I'm not sure why you'd use a weed burner, to be honest. When the weeds get really bad here, we chop down the big ones with a machete, cut the smaller ones up with a weed whacker, rake it all up, and then run over everything with the disc. It's safe, and doesn't take all that much time - we've got 7 acres or so and it takes about 3-4 days working a couple hours each day. Or, if I don't have a ton of time, I'll "pay" a few friends with BBQ or pizza and a case of beer to help me do the job in one day.

Do you think he accidentally burned his house down. or "accidentally" burned his house down.

Actually, my husband and I did discuss that!

I'm not sure why you'd use a weed burner, to be honest. When the weeds get really bad here, we chop down the big ones with a machete, cut the smaller ones up with a weed whacker, rake it all up, and then run over everything with the disc. It's safe, and doesn't take all that much time - we've got 7 acres or so and it takes about 3-4 days working a couple hours each day. Or, if I don't have a ton of time, I'll "pay" a few friends with BBQ or pizza and a case of beer to help me do the job in one day.

I guess he figured it would be easier. They had a lot of big tumbleweeds in their yard...all in the front and down the driveway.

Tell Chopper "Good dog!" from me. It IS sad they lost their things over something so stupid and preventable.

Will do! I already told him I'd listen to him from now on!