Sign in to follow this  
VS.Natural.Horsemanship

Clinics

I think the most important thing is to stay on topic and not get side tracked. Have "bullet points" you want to get to, that follow a logical flow. If your riders are doing the clinic just to improve horsemanship skills, that's a broad thing - so break it into smaller topics with clear goals/outcomes. if you're working on developing a specific skill or prepping for reaching that 'next level' of competition, try to come at it from several angles so you work with different student and horse learning styles.

Another thing to keep in mind - show, don't tell. Show them what to do (ride/work a horse while they watch) but also "show" them by explaining the 'who, what, when, where, why, and how" of everything you do. In a clinic situation, that can be a bit hard - if you've got a lot of riders going at once, you may end up being mostly a "traffic cop" and getting stuck on "who" and "what" and "how" only, which creates an incomplete picture. or if you work with one at a time, you may have people standing around for longish periods. It's a balancing act, and not an easy one - I think clarity of purpose and time management are the two most crucial things.

I like it when a clinician goes off individually with the rider and if the rider is having problems try and help them then. Or give exercises to work on like ways to get your horse more supple and responsive. Group work is a good thing but I think it's really helpful with some one on one time.