Sign in to follow this  
marine94

Any Military Out There? Women? Anyone Enlisting?!

if so! what branch, what MOS, how long have you served...I leave october for bootcamp for the Marine corps! and was just curious as if any of you are joining, serving or had already served!

I think there a quite a few people on here who have served. I'm sure they will come around and tell you their experience!

Good Luck in training! Thank you for your service!

Good luck at basic! I about enlist and when I hurt my shoulder they said I medically couldn't cause I am structurally compromised unless I have surgery and at the time I didn't have the ability to take 6-9weeks off for recovery. :-/

Once I get my shoulder fix ill be knocking on my Sgt's door again Haha.

My brother is a GySgt in the Marines he's been in about 17 years. Most of my family has been in the Navy. My grandfather was covert ops and was actually one of the lead investigating officers of the Kennedy assassination. We didn't fond out till after he died and his files were unsealed.

It's really cool the history you find out when you have family in the service.

I am still in high school but I am currently thinking about enlisting in the Navy when I graduate.

I have been really thinking on it, so things may change but its something I want to do.

CCQ

I'm currently in the Army. Just have to remember, things may not be what you think they are once you get in. There is a lot of crap in the military and you have to be willing to put up with it. I want to pull my hair out every day lol. I'm currently in S. Korea. All I know is good luck and make sure its what you really want. So far I haven't met many people who don't regret joining. Not saying you shouldn't, just be sure its absolutely what you want. I know the Army isn't what it used to be. There is a lack of disipline in all the branches and it seems to be getting worse. Makes me quiet upset but as an E3, I can't do anything about it.

My brother is 17 and considering joining the Marines and I just don't know if he should or not...not like I could stop him. But he's not very good with authority. He is a hard worker and would respect those in charge but I don't know if he would know what he was getting into. It's more than just boot camp and basic training...I'm sure...

I am in the Army National Guard and have been so for about 5 years. My MOS is basically a bridge engineer and I have been in that MOS my entire career. I am an Afghanistan veteran. I was the only female in my section while I was there. I absolutely do not regret joining and knowing then what I know now, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Any specific questions for me, I am always open to sharing my experiences. If there's something you would like to know and do not feel like asking openly, please PM me. I do not have much experience with Marines, but I did live on a Marine base for a year in Afghanistan. :smileywavey:

My husband is in the Army, has been for 8 years. He says he has small regrets, like not being able to see his family much, and not always being around for his wife (me) and kids, but doesn't regret being in the Army. It gave him a much better opportunity than what he would have where he grew up.

I also have a friend who recently joined the Air Force and is now stationed in England and she is loving it.

If you are going join the military, make sure you find your way around the political landscape, knowing where to go & who you can trust if you have problem. As a female you could easily be taken advantage of, so just be on your guard. My daughter went into Army 15 years ago, her negetive experiences were more a bad marriage than the military. But thankfully those are both past, & she out & doing well now, & I can sleep at night now. I will say my daughter was a meek & mild person before going in military, now she doesn't take any BS from anybody. My daughter was in a transportation company in Army, mostly sat a computer monitoring shipments of supplies, but she could also drive a truck, & very good at it. PD

PS it is always hard for Dads to see theit little girls leave home.

PD, I love you!

My son is going in the marines if he passes the physical. He has aspergers, but they thing he'll be fine with it. He's not sure yet what MOS he'll go after.

My daughter is active duty in the Marine Corps. Her mos is C-130 Airframer. She has been in for 1 1/2 yrs. Her contract term is 5 yrs active and 3 IRR. She loves her job. They do have mentors assigned to them for support and help with any issues.

My son was in the USMC for 4 yrs.(2002 - 2006) His MOS was with the 2nd LAR. He started out a driver and ended with being the vehicle commander. 2 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afganistan.

Husband was in the USMC from 72-76.

I retired after 20 years in the Army. It was a wonderful and challenging experience. If you enlist in the service, remember that you get what you give. It can be very difficult, but it also comes with many benefits. I found that the people that enlisted only for an education but little or no patriotic pride had the worst experience. THey wanted to be handed a paycheck and and education and not "really" have to work for it. The Armed Services are the only institutions that I know of in this country that will literally pay you to get an education. Just be aware of the requirements of the job for which you are enlisting and make sure that you are ready to work. It gave me an opportunity for life that I never would have had coming from hillbilly PA. Good luck and enjoy!!!

brfool

Best of luck, and if it is REALLY what you want, you will do well.

When I was still in high school, my Father, who was an officer in the Navy, told we three boys;

" If you go in the military, it will make a man out of you, or a bum out of you". "When you finish the tour with pride, honor, and knowing you did your best, you will advance, and be successful".

"Keep your eyes open, your mouth shut, and LISTEN".

The military was the best thing for me when I left high school, and did not know what I wanted to do with my self. I joined the Navy, worked VERY hard, and went to "A" schools. Listened to what the instructors said, and kept my nose clean. I retired with the rank of Warrant Officer W-3, which is a non-commissioned officer. It may have been easier for me, as I grew up in the military, being the son of an officer, and having the burden of behaviour that that entailed.

( My Father was always given the respect and love of our family)

Funny thing is, I am now 65 yrs old, and still address my Father as ; SIR!

He deserved it, as he served in WW2, occupation forces of Japan, Korea, Battle of the Formosa Straits, Viet Nam, and served duty on the Chicago, the Dixie, the Prometheus, the Rochester, and the Thetis Bay.

I served on the Mansfield, the Enterprise, and the Kitty Hawk. as well as three shore stations. Lualualei, Pearl Harbor, and San Diego.

Viet Nam, and lots of time in dry dock at Chesapeake Bay!

First thing Thankyou for serving your country

All good advise, The bootcamp and service school will be tough. Do what they tell you, how they tell you ,when they tell you. The purpose is to find your weakness and help you over come it. You will survive it. At times you'll wonder but you will survive. Been a while, things may have changed but it will be different for sure.

EOCN Chandler Heavy Equipment Operator

USN Seabees

1973-1978

US Naval Magazine,Guam

AUTEC, Andros Is, Bahamas

I have been enlisted in the Air Force since 2003, working in Physical and Occupational therapy. I absolutely love it, I have traveled, deployed, but most importantly, I have completed my undergraduate work, and been accepted to graduate school. I have to separate to complete my education, but I plan to come back as an officer. The military has taught me so much, and really helped me grow into a stronger person.

best wishes!!

my hubs is in the marines. he's been in for almost 6 years, and plans to make it a career. he's a 0311 [infantry] and has been to iraq once, and afghanastan twice. his most recent tour ended a year ago. we recently moved from Hawaii to Virginia for some "r&r" [basically because hawaii wasn't deploying to combat zones any time soon] and we're trying hard to go down to Parris Island so he can volunteer for his b billet as a DI.

he's a grunt through and through, and is itching to get back to the fleet. him being a DI will be tough on our family, since he'll be working before sun up, to after sun down and the fact im due with both our first baby in September [and he goes to DI school in January]. but it's just going to be similar to a deployment.

my best advice, is don't believe your recruiter. they will tell you ANYTHING to get you to sign your papers. boot camp will be super tough, your MOS school will be tough, and then rumors will fly about you once you're in yyour job [bad rumors, being a lonely girl around tons of guys etc]

good luck, and hopefully you get stationed at a good place! [very few marine bases, but make the best of it!]