Sign in to follow this  
Avishay04

My Boss Is An ***

Or rather, one of my bosses is an ***, and the other is a duchebag.

The *** sends me email after email about my performance, the performance of my staff, and nitpicks EVERYTHING. Which, if we were performing poorly, would be reasonable. But the job?s getting done and the customers are happy. On the other hand, he?s 1. new, and knows jack diddly hoo-hoo about the job my team and I are actually doing 2. only pops his head in for 15 min once a week or so 3. jumps to conclusions about *everything* and 4. in the 6 weeks since he became my boss, he?s taken 9 *NINE* days off where he?s been unavailable. On top of that, he keeps ?forgetting? to send me the supplies I?ve ordered, is LATE with everything, and throws projects or deadlines at me with short notice. Seriously, he wanted me to do a multi-program development proposal, including cost analysis in less than a week, and he emailed me last night wanting time sheets turned in by 10:00 am today - two weeks early! Because he ?only just found out today that we needed them early.? You?re the flippin? BOSS. There?s ONLY ONE GUY above you in the whole department! You shouldn?t be surprised by things like that.

Today alone I got two different emails before I even got home about things he took issue with during his 15 min on-site visit this morning. When I replied with clear, concise explanations, he suddenly started backpedaling. ?Oh, I didn?t realize,? and ?Ok, that makes sense,? and ?I didn?t know that?s how you did that.? He didn?t even come speak with me, ask me questions, or discuss his concerns - he talked only to two of my staff members. And our concerns? Our issues with poor work environment, lack of supplies, problems with a harassing coworker from a different department? COMPLETELY blown off. Not worth his time. All we get is placating nonsense, no concrete replies. ****, last week when I brought up actual PROBLEMS he didn?t want to deal with, he kept changing the subject to the weather.

His boss, who runs the department, is NO BETTER. He always leaves work early, blows off or downplays legit concerns, and then gives me lip service about how hard my team and I work, what a good job we do, how much he believes in us, etc. I?m so freaking tired of it. I?ve been super patient, and I used to LOVE my job, but I?m really DONE. I?m not dealing with these ***** any longer than I have to. I?m a professional, and while I accept there?s a lot of crazy **** that goes on in the workplace that you just have to deal with, these guys are just over the top BAD bosses.

I'm GOOD at what I do. I'm internationally certified, I've got over a decade of professional experience, two degrees, and a great track record, not to mention 11 years with this employer. I've outlasted FIVE bosses - three of whom were fired for incompetence, one who retired, and one who made a lateral move. I know I'm being deliberately vague, but one never knows who's reading. But regardless, I am no slouch.

I feel like I?m working for the guy in Office Space. Where?s my **** red Swingline stapler?

Does anyone in Southern California want to hire me? Cuz I'm looking for a new job.

Would it help for you to document all this? Sort of have a hard/fast copy you can shove under the nose of anyone wanting to point to you as the 'problem' when they want to save their own bahookie? Don't let them throw you under the bus!

:huggy:

I have LOTS of documentation. All time & date stamped. I've been having problems with coworkers in other departments that share my facility for almost 4 years, so I keep notes on everything and keep copies of all communications. Several of my other team members do the same. We're actually at the point where we're thinking of all quitting en masse, but we're going to try to schedule a meeting with the president and make him aware of what's been going on first. He may not grant us an audience, and if he does, he may not choose to do anything - but going up the chain of command hasn't gotten us results.

it really is, Heidi. One of the other bosses fought recently to get part of our jobs taken away, and a lot of our hours with it. They've cut our resources, and have been generally passive aggressive, accused my team and I of outrageous stuff, the list just goes on and on. >_< I've thought about going to the state employment board to file a formal complaint, but I'm not really sure if that will help, or just cause them to discontinue our project and 'lay us off' to 'downsize'

Start applying with head hunters or at other business (especially ones that are competitors) so that if going to the head of the company fails, you can walk out the door into another job.

Sometimes, it is better to walk away (with your reputation as a business professional intact) from a bad situation or a sinking ship before things just get worse.

Any company that starts gutting or destroying sections of the business that are viable and making money.

Or keeps hiring one incompetent fool after another for years. Is a company that is crumbling internally and on the slippery slope to collapse. If the president is so out of touch or so incompetent that he isn't aware of what is happening within. Then there isn't much hope.

:huggy: for your frustration.

:angel3: for a positive change or a new beginning.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. I've been looking for a new job for about two months now, but so far, no luck. I don't have a lot of pride - I'll take just about anything in order to stay employed and take care of my horses.