Sign in to follow this  
diversified

Silver Cleaner On A Show Saddle

I have borrowed a western show saddle from a friend, it is a very nice saddle. I cleaned it with horsemans one step for the leather and hagerty silver polish for the silver. I cleaned the silver first and the leather second. However, now around the silver peices there is a white residue on the leather. The residue is only in the area around the silver. Is there a product that will take this off?? It kinda looks like crap and I do not want to give it back looking like that. Thanks!!

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. My silver polish is over at our other place and I wanted to get the proper name for you.

Okay, first we want to remove the polish residue from the saddle you're working on. Usually some soapy water and a clean toothbrush will do that, if you can keep a clean rag handy to clean up the drips.

I have some of that polish in a tube and it's messy! Now I only use it on badly tarnished saddle hardware that has been removed from the saddle. I have a piece of short-napped carpet that I smear the polish onto and then rub the screw-in concho or whatever on.

Here's where youy're going to thank me from the bottom of your heart. Go to an automotive supply store such as Auto Zone or O'Reillys and ask for a can of Eagle One NEVR-DULL original wadding polish. It costs a bout six or seven dollars. It's a bunch of little pieces of cotton that have been treated with some kind of chemical that removes tarnish. I think it's used on chrome or polished aluminum car rims.

Just a little pinch of wadding about the size of half a regular cotton ball will clean the silver on a saddle and it leaves no residue. As the cotton blackens, just pull it apart a little until you have a clean place exposed and go back to work. After I've done it, I use a piece of an old T-shirt finish the polishing. Try it, you'll like it!

I hope this helps.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

I appreciate all your advice Jack, I've been putting off cleaning my silver but if I can find the stuff you're talking about maybe I'll actually get it done.

I second your recommendation for "Never-Dull", it is just like magic on our silver ware, and the candle sticks and menorah too.