Sign in to follow this  
*Apache Skye*

Is There Such Thing As Cute Warm Clothing?

It looks like I am going to be moving to northern Europe in a little less than six months. The place I'm moving to has more than 230 rainy days a year! It also snows some in the winter.

So, um, I have lived almost my entire life in San Diego, except for a brief stint in Los Angeles and one in Tucson. I don't understand how snow works (case in point: the other day I asked boyfriend, "what do you do when it snows?" He said don't worry, they plow the roads. I said, "no, but how do you WALK? Do you walk on top of the snow?" he won't let me live that one down).

Anyway, I am being told that I need boots (me: "riding boots?!" him: "no.") and a warm coat. In my limited experience with snow while skiing, warm clothes aren't that cute.

So, uh... what do you wear when it's cold to keep yourself from looking like an oompa loompa?

Edited by *Apache Skye*

Wool sweaters from Woolrich. I also LOVE my Carhartt vest, that with a hoody underneath keeps me pretty toasty. Knee high wool socks. Silk (or equally thin) long johns to wear under clothing without adding any bulk. Oooh, I miss cold weather now. Can't wait to wear the warm stuff!

Thanks! I'm really excited for the cold weather, just totally unprepared. I own one pair of sneakers, a few pairs of flats, a bunch of heels... and the rest are all flip flops. I think my warmest jacket is a thin hoodie, lol.

Ahh so excited!

Oh I cant wait to answer this one!!!!!!!!!! Short trench coats are pretty warm and not bulky, also pretty. I understand about looking like an oompa loompa though. Roping barrels pretty much covered it all. Boots, as in, these. Well I like them atleast. And the price is not bad. Oh man, now I really want winter to come. :happy0203: good luck with you move!

and btw, your original post, about walking on top of snow - I had a girl in my class in college who thought winter ended in January. HAHA hun I've seen a blizzard in April. so funny !

Lol so it doesn't get THAT cold... like, low 30s in the winter. Hey, I think anything below 70 is cold!

Wait... winter doesn't end in January? Kidding... sort of. :P

How well do uggs hold up in the rain, though? I love mine but I am afraid they would get sort of... soggy. It rains there a LOT... much more than it snows.

Thanks for the ideas! I have never owned a warm jacket (besides my ski jacket, and even that is pretty thin) in my life.

Both? :(

I guess I'm just feeling a bit intimidated actually. Boyfriend is always talking about how people in the US dress lazier than people in Europe. I mean, he STEAMS his JEANS. Or irons them, sometimes. Seriously, who does that???

Knit sweaters are cute. Get a cute hat like a wool beret. Scarves are cute and come in every colour. Trenchcoats are fun and come in so many different styles, just make sure it has a warm lining. I have a wool black lined jacket that sits just above my knees and I wear it in winter. It looks great with skinny jeans/leggings and tall black boots. Don't wear Uggs, they're terrible in general and especially when it's wet, but do find some stylish knee-high boots that will keep you warm and trendy. Think fuzzy lining, waterproof outside. Waterproof is important. It's one thing to look stylish, but when you're drenched from wet snow you're going to be super cold and mucky unless your jacket and boots are waterproof.