Sign in to follow this  
goldentoes

Sports That Should Be Added To The Olympics

Yes. And I don't know that reining should Olympic sport, either. The purpose of the Games to to test the HUMAN'S athleticism, not the animal's. Obviously you have to be in good shape to compete in top levels for reining, but such isn't the case in stockdog events. I know a lady who hobbles to the post, sends her dog, and that is the extent of her input. In flyball, the handler oesn't even have to get to a post. They just release their dogs. Rally and obedience can be done by disabled handlers. Tracking requires a lot of walking over varied terrain, but requires nothing of Olympian strength. Dock dogs requires a good arm. Lure coursing, release the dog.

Agility is closest to an Olympic event (after all, it was fashioned after show jumping) And it DOES require hours of traing, cross training, and working out on the part of the handler to prepare for a competition of that level. But I don't know if it truly qualifies.

Agility is my sport of choice (canine-related or ot, volleyball comes in second); we have a World competition already that tests the quality of the teamwork between the dog and handler, the ability of the handler, and the agility of the dog. In my opinion, we don't need the Olympics.

:confused0024: I hear what you are all saying, but the Debate question was "What sports do *I* think should be added to the Olympics. Those, Beer Pong, Barrel Racing, Chicken catching, & 2 yr old Uncooperative Child Diapering get my votes. :crazy:

2 yr old Uncooperative Child Diapering is totally getting my vote. I could actually GO to the olympics in that event!! I PWN at changing diapers.

Oh! I know! For our feline loving buds, how about Exotic Cat Pilling? :rotf:

That's a bit high-falutin, don't ya think?

Why not good, old-fashioned cow tipping?

pole dancing----It didn't make the cut for the 2012 games, but Tucson dancers hope holding even more competitions will grab the attention of the IOC for the 2014 Winter Games in Rio De Janeiro. "It's the perfect cross between gymnastics and figure skating and both of those are in the Olympics," McCain says

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48570926/ns/local_news-tucson_az/t/should-pole-dancing-be-olympic-sport/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://inlineskating.about.com/od/competitiveinlineskating/a/olympics.htm

Softball and baseball were seeking reinstatement after being voted off the agenda for the 2012 London Olympic Games. Roller sports joined them in the battle for two spots on the Olympic program for 2016. Golf, squash, karate and seven-a-side rugby were the other contenders. All seven sport federations received letters, requesting their presentations of their sport in October of 2009, when the International Olympic Committee assembles at Copenhagen. At this time, golf and rugby are the sports of choice for 2016.

roller skating....The Federation Internationale de Rollersports (FIRS), which includes inline speed skating, roller figure skating and roller derby, is now vying for a spot in the 2020 Olympic Games. A total of eight sports, including baseball and softball, the two sports that were removed after the 2008 Games and voted off the agenda for the 2012 Games will be considered. The other six sports are wakeboard, squash, sport climbing, rollersports, karate and the martial art of wushu. These sports will be evaluated in early 2013. One sport will be voted on from the final list in late 2013 at the IOC session in Buenos Aires.

I think we need to liven up the Equestrian Games a bit. You know, add some fun sports.

Pony Games (no, not that kind)

This is a sport that requires finesse, agility, cunning, and flexibility. It pits one athlete against one pony. The pony athlete is penned up within sight of a large, open bag of grain set outside 100 yards from the pen. The human athlete must repeatedly retrieve the pony when it escapes, and return it to said pen. Points added for quick catches and points deducted based on how many mouthfuls the pony gets before capture is achieved.

Apple Picking (Yep, exactly what you are thinking)

This team sport pits two teams of four each in a corral divided by a net. Four horses, divided into two teams as well, are on either side of the net. The objective is to fling the poo on your team's side over to the other team's side as quickly as possible and remove the poo thrown from the opposing team. Fresh poops, provided by each team's loose horses, will provide possible bonus rounds. Points awarded based on the size of the poo projectile and the freshness of the specimen thrown. If an athlete can catch the poo with the manure fork directly from one of their team horse's butts, before it even hits the ground, an extra ten points will be awarded. Teams should wear tight long sleeved and long legged uniforms as well as boots. Goggles are strongly suggested. No personal fouls for 'accidental hits' on the opposing team's athletes but there are penalties for hitting the opposing teams horses with flying poo.

Human Show Jumping

Much smaller jumps, but same idea. The jumps should be beautifully decorated and the athletes should be dressed with funny little nets over their ears and wraps on their legs. Penalties for two refusals and knocking a pole out of the cups. Rubs are not penalized.

Edited by Little Cow

I know you're joking, because you have to be to say something like that, but not very funny.

Just try and tell this guy he should take up twirling:

article-1237035-07A383F9000005DC-484_233x517.jpg

If you are suggesting that this guy is gay....I guess when twirling came up, all you'd have to say is baton and he'd immediately bend over and say yes please. :yahoo:

he's a take no prisoners rugby player. he could twist that baton around your neck with his pinky fingers. but i also hear he's a nice guy, so he'd probably just smile and say "run along little girl".

If you are suggesting that this guy is gay....I guess when twirling came up, all you'd have to say is baton and he'd immediately bend over and say yes please. :yahoo:

I'm on my phone and can't report this, but I'm quoting for posterity. Truly offensive.

I reported it already early this morning. Please keep your bigoted jokes to yourself, Blondy.

Anyway, I like Red's Exotic Cat Pilling and Two Year Old Diaper Changing. Plus, some of the equestrian games I suggested above. We could have a very, um, interesting Olympics next time. :happy0203:

Can you believe that race walking is an Olympic sport? And it got more TV coverage than the equestrian events. They speed walk around and around this track and there are judges who watch to make sure they bring their knees all the way back and don't break into a jog! It looks really ridiculous.

Can you believe that race walking is an Olympic sport? And it got more TV coverage than the equestrian events. They speed walk around and around this track and there are judges who watch to make sure they bring their knees all the way back and don't break into a jog! It looks really ridiculous.

this is a joke right?? if not, try it some time.

Can you believe that race walking is an Olympic sport?

They speed walk around and around this track and there are judges who watch to make sure they bring their knees all the way back and don't break into a jog! It looks really ridiculous.

Wow! I checked it out. random vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZKSywmobMQ&feature=related

Yes, their gait *does* look beyond strange, to me!

However, if you watch the video (at 1:45/1:46) the leader FALLS! Her legs just turned to spaghetti noodles and she collapsed. She did get back up and complete the race, but shortly after completing the race she lowers herself to rest, then tries to get up (2:10-2:17) and literally STAGGERS around!

Race Walking must be a very demanding sport for this to happen to such high-level competitors.

What I found odd, beyond the exagerated sway of the hips, was the way their lower legs looked. It looks like they roll along on the outside of their feet from heel-to-toe, almost as if their ankles are collapsing and about to sprain. I found it kind of freaky to watch - I kept expecting to see a leg injury because the gait/stride looked so ... deformed from what I am used to a walking gait looking like.

Edited by Heidi n Q

That's so cruel! Those poor ladies being forced into an unnatural gait! I heard they use pads on their sneakers and heavy chains on their ankles during training. Those poor ladies.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- :rotf:

(Actually, I have all due respect for anyone who can compete at that level, in pretty much any Olympic sport).

I managed to catch 1 hour of stadium jumping on NBC one morning. That was all. As for reining and other stock horse events, I say no. They are just that Stock horse events. Any breed can be trained to jump, do dressage, etc. But very few breeds can get their butts under them for sliding stops, rollbacks or even gymkhana.

I'll call foul on that one! You just might be very surprised to know how many breeds are actually good at it, not just "stock horses".

I managed to catch 1 hour of stadium jumping on NBC one morning. That was all. As for reining and other stock horse events, I say no. They are just that Stock horse events. Any breed can be trained to jump, do dressage, etc. But very few breeds can get their butts under them for sliding stops, rollbacks or even gymkhana.

You must be kidding ... unsure.gif

You must be kidding ... unsure.gif

Not a great deal of difference in reining and dressage, other than the saddle and the sliding stop, which even a Saddlebred can do with a little conditioning. An athlete is an athlete, and just needs another set of muscles tuned to make the switch.

??? Doesn't Priceline guy have saddlebreds who do reining? Brainfart with his name. Then I've seen welsh ponies, fjords, and even mules do reining as well.

Reining, etc. are "stock horse events" because stock horses tend to excel at them, so they are what you see at the high levels. Any breed could be trained to do sliding stops, rollbacks, or gymkhana events. I'm sure if you go to low level shows, you see all sorts of breeds competing.

On the English side, if you go to low level shows, you see all sorts of breeds competing in the jumping classes or dressage classes. But as you get to the higher levels (Olympic level, for instance), it's mainly warmbloods with some thoroughbreds thrown in, because those breeds tend to excel at jumping or dressage.

As for sports, I wouldn't mind seeing reining, as it's definitely grown overseas. I also like the roller derby idea that was mentioned in the article Ann posted. That'd be fun to watch :smilie:

Like Barbie doll smilie.gif said ... the conformation is quite different in stock horses versus warmbloods. The western riding style is designed around stock horses, so of course they would do best in it. They are built for it. Warmbloods have been bred specifically for dressage and jumping and therefore excel at it. To think you can switch breeds interchangeable is like thinking a boarder collie and a rottweiler can do the same job in the same way. I guess you'd find a TB here and there, but very few and far between in the top levels in the world, that could be in either western or English top ranks ...

How many stock horses are built so they could go between

and at the same time stretch out like this? I have not seen any ... I'm sure there must be one here and there ... like there would be one warmblood here and there that would be an excellent western horse.

Dressage and western together. ;)