Sign in to follow this  
Sakura18

Well This Should Be Fun

My friend got a mule from a lady on facebook. I was supposed to buy her other mule,but the new one was too much for her to handle so they kept the one i wanted. She offered her to me at a great price!...i see why now. She did fully tell me the problems and made sure i knew what i was getting into.

Well Miss Sugar has a few problems. She doesnt stand well being tied if any of the horses leave the hitvhing post without her. She has a mini-meltdown. Then when when you are on her and the others leave her behind she rears and lunges. I personally find it funny how diffrent a mules and horses fits are! She seems to caculate,then act. A horse just acts,then thinks. As we rode on she sort of got the point she cant do that. Everytime shed tense up id circle her. She also takes the bit between her mouth and braces and tries to get away from you. I switched from a twisted split mouth shanked bit with a noseband to a correction. I liked the first one best,but it ribs her nose raw. Any suggeations on a good bit? I want it to be mild as possible.

Now for her good side,she likes to go and isnt spooky. Not even when a deer jumped out 10 feet from her. Or when matt on his mule pulled down branches and threw them at us. And she loves to swim. She was thirsty so she walked into the pond up to her chest and drank. Then i nudged jer forward and she took off swimming! Such a cool feeling!

This is my first time owning a mule,but not riding them. So any advice for a first time mule ownervis appreciated!

(Yeals,pics are comin in the morning.)

She is cute! It sounds like she has had some decent training and just needs some tune up. The only advice I have is that the more time you spend with her, the better she will get. She will get confident in you and the separation fits will diminish.

I have no recomendation on a bit. I like a short shanked jointed bit with a nose band for my mule. I cannot remember what it is called but it does not look like what is on your mule in the picture. I will see if I can find a picture of it.

Welcome to mule ownership!

I got ahold of one of her previous owners,they said they rode her in a tom thumb...no thanks. Im not a fan of them. They also saod she never really came to a complete stop,which is true...she always has to gogogogo. So we will work on that too.

Im going to try her in somethinf like a tom thumb,but the shanks sweep back instead of straight down and the mouth is sweet iron with copper inlay.

Things are going great...most of the time. No more rearing or even acting like she wants to. She now has a very good brake. Still not spooky.

I took her to her first parade and she was perfect. She led the entire parade the entire parade route. At firsr she looked at all the people like 'whoa...' then she enjoyed the attention. Then a few weeks later i rode her 10 miles to a show...then shown in 6 classes. Got some firsts and everyone loved her! She even got to have a few days in luxury...hay 3 times a day with pasture and people doting on her. She deserved it is what the BO said.

She only has 1 downfall...fences. all i have and have money for is electric fence. She just barges through them like they arent there. I even had 2 chargers on at once and it still doesnt stop her. Then she heads for the neighbors,and they hate them(good reasons,she tears up their yard). Then its an hour to catch her,then another hour repairing the fence. This last time they threatned a lawsuit,and as much as i looove sugar...its not worth it.

But she is hopefully going to a wonderful home. One lady has been almost stalking me since i got her about buying her. She has had her eye on her for 2 years and each time she sold she was barely too late. So i gave her first option. It still breaks my heart that i have to get rid of her.

aawww, I am so sorry to hear your fence crasher has got to go. But I completely understand the liability it just to much, what a bummer. I am lucky in that my neighbors completely understand my goofy guy so far and he does very little neighborhood invasion on property he is not familiar with (a place he has not been before or met the people) nor is he hard to catch. I guess you can take solace in knowing she will be going to home where she will be loved and as you have wrote is very much wanted.

She is. She said she will come down Sunday and get her,cash in hand. Ive seen pictures of her place and it is 3 board rails and hotwire around the top.

I think i already found a buddy for my pony. Will post more info when he comes home. He is deathly afraod of fences,if i didnt see it i wouldnt have beleived it. He is kept in by 1 strand of wire that is not kept on at all. He wont go within 3 feet of tbe fence.