Sign in to follow this  
Fawnsmom

Circle Y Show Saddle With Like Shalack (Sp)

Ok so I have a older Circle Y Show saddle . And the person I got it from used to do parades etc. Well it looks like he put some thing on the saddle to make it shine . Now the stuff is cracking. Is there anyway to remove it without damaging the leather ?

Do you mean shellac? There ate different kinds of paint thinners and removers you could try. For example :lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, wood alcohol (Methanol), denatured alcohol.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

If you try one of the thinners, would you not ruin the oils in the saddle?

I wonder too, if using a thinner would make the pores completely closed, so oils would not be re-absorbed in to the pores. I know I can clean with Lexol Saddle soap, put some Fiebings oil on my saddle, and put in the sun rub for a few minutes, then the oil is almost gone, and I can rub the leather to remove the excess.

About two or three times a year, I put "Saddle Butter" on my saddles, and rub them in. some sun warming makes this much easier. Perhaps using "Saddle Butter" after a good cleaning and a day of drying, would rejuvenate the leather too.

The product I use is; by Ray Holes, and many saddle retailers sell it. The address is; Leather Care Products

p.o. box 736 Grangeville, Idaho 83530