Sign in to follow this  
littlebayroan

Brown Vs Black

I'm in the process of "upgrading" some older tack with an eye toward doing more showing and showing a couple of horses for friends. These would be mostly local shows (ie open / "formal dress optional") type shows with the occasional regional breed show.

I've found a good brand black A/P saddle that *should* fit my mare, at a good price, but most of the shows I've been to recently seem like everyone is riding HUS in traditional brown saddles. What's currently "in"? What is everyone else seeing?

Ride in the saddle that fits you and your horse.... PPHHFFTT on "what's in"

The judge doesn't look at color of tack, only that you, the horse & the tack are clean, tidy and neat. :winking:

Honestly, I don't think the judge is really going to notice. There's so many different shades of saddles out there anyways. My saddle is a dark dark chocolate and I like it that way because it doesn't stand out. I'd think it'd be more tacky if you showed up in one of those orange leather saddles. :sick:

If the saddle fits, use it. It'll help your horse move better if they have a properly fitted saddle, which is what you're being judged on anyway.

I will say, however, that almost no one rides in All Purpose saddles because they rarely put the rider in a good position. I know a lot of western people that do HUS grab the A/P's, but a jumping saddle would balance you a LOT better. You can find many really good brands for a good price.

Honestly, I don't think brown or black matters (and I'm seeing a move towards more black being used more in the H/J ring), but whatever color you get, make sure the REST of your tack matches your saddle! I think it can look nice if you have a black saddle and a matching bridle.

What level do you have an aspiration to show at?

Local schooling shows and local circuits it likely won't matter.

State, regional, and national level I would stick to a brown close contact saddle over black and all purpose. Havana brown, not orange. Classic and not going out if style, like the white ratcatcher and navy jacket.