Sign in to follow this  
MyDaddysJag

Oiled Roughout, Anything That Can Be Done?

I have a chance to buy a used billy cook at a good price, the issue is that someone didnt know not to oil the rough side of the roughout leather. The oil didnt take even, and its a bit of an eyesore. The saddle is part smooth tooled leather with a roughout seat, jockeys, and fenders. They oiled the ENTIRE saddle, even the seat. Is there anything that can be done? Its a heck of a good deal for a billy cook ($250 for a two year old saddle, this model runs close to $1400 they still make it) Im guessing they dont know what they have, they didnt know how to measure for seat size they have a couple good saddles priced below what they should be, and dont ya know they oiled them all like this.

Anyway, its a saddle Ive wanted for a while but couldnt shell out the $1400 for. On the other hand, Im not sure If I could live with how bad the oil looks on the roughout. It slicked down the roughout, and turned it dark, but its uneven, like a splotchy dye job.

I'd go for it!

Towel the carp out of the roughout, and ride ride ride. The more use it gets, the better the roughout will look.

I oiled the suede knee rolls on my English saddle when i was a kid...it looked so gross. I didn't know!!! So to fix it I just took a rough cotton towel and rubbed those knee rolls to heck and back. They looked better pretty quickly. The more I rode, the better they looked. That's the only reason I am saying go for it and get the saddle.

I would be tempted to try some of that Oil Dry stuff they sell at an auto supply store, like Auto Zone or O'Reilly's. What the stuff is is baked clay, much like cat litter, but a lighter color. We used that stuff in a factory to soak up oil spills. It was called Speedy-Dry and when we swept it up the floor was completely dry.

It makes me wonder how stupid someone could be to oil a roughout seat on a saddle. :bang_head:

And if there are shiny spots where the rough has gone smooth, some gentle rubbing with a coarse sandpaper will improve it.