Brandy Deffes

"repairing" My Horse's Health

After piecing together Jaeger's past history, I have come to a pretty solid conclusion his former owners were the least concerned about maintaining his health. :bang_head: Absence of worming, nutrition, and general horse care left my boy with thread worms, choke, and susceptible to constant skin problems. Thank God his feet are fantastic.

The thread regarding NTW helped tremendously....we were able to "clear" up much of his skin with the double dosing of Equimax (with a little help of dandruff shampoo, Listerene, and MTG).

He is also fed 3.5# of Senior feed (though he is seven) every other day to supplement and maintain his weight (he is on pasture). It is extremely watered down, almost bisque consistency; however, there is no loss of nutrients as he will slurp and lick every morsel.

My dilemma...I still don't believe he is still at good health. His coat, mane , and tail aren't those of a healthy horse. In the four months I have had him, his m&t have grown a solid 4-5 inches....but his coat isn't anywhere near a shine and his mane and tail feel like straw. He has been vet checked and I was told to continue as I have been. I am just not satisfied with that answer given his past lack of care.

My question...given his past lack of care and current condition, are there supplements you would suggest?

As always, thank you for your replies! :notworthy:

Biotin would be my first suggestion. It's for hair as much as hoof. And add ground flax or flax oil to his feed.

I love EquiBase Grass formula for horses on pasture that are working and not looking/maintaining the way they should. It's got enough of what they need to pack a huge punch to the immune system without being too expensive.

http://www.uckeleequine.com/buy/equibasegrass10/

Aside from that, I'd just recommend time. If you do things to fast, you could make the horse sick as his body probably isn't used to getting good nutrition.

Edited by ..::Felda::..

Regular feed schedule, every day, or no grain at all. IMO, its too hard for a horse otherwise, and developes digestive problems.

If you cant feed grain daily because you board, can you buy a few bales of alfalfa and have the barn owner toss a flake or two of alfalfa twice a day, in addition to his regular hay and grain? Alfalfa will help keep weight on, and in my area has more nutrients.

Other than than, I like grostrong minerals, free choice. They make a loose mineral, and also a "quad block" than can be put in stalls. My horses literally EAT salt and mineral blocks if left in their stalls, they do it out of boredom, so I use loose minerals pre measured in their stalls, and have salt available in the pasture they go in daily. These are horses Ive owned for years, so Im sure that it wasnt a situation that they just didnt get enough and are catching up now.

I can say I recently started a horse on Calf-Manna and Ive been suprised at how fast Im seeing a difference.

I can say I recently started a horse on Calf-Manna and Ive been suprised at how fast Im seeing a difference.

Heehee, told ya! :happy0203:

Thank you for your responses. I am definitely going to check out the Equibase , Calf Manna,and flax. :notworthy:

Again, I appreciate everyone's replies tremendously. I have never dealt with as many equine health issues as I have with Jaeger. He is the one who will definitely teach me more than I thought I needed to know! :happy0203:

We have been using a product you can get on-line called Nutra-Glo - it's great for helping to put on weight and for healthy coat and hooves. One of my mother-in-law's horses has had chronic split, cracked and broken hooves, and since using Nutra-Glo for the past year, her hooves look great and all the horses have a beautiful coat, the 25 year old has a new spring in his step. Our barefoot trimmer looked at the ingredients and was impressed with them. Its a liquid that you add to feed. I definitely recommend it.

Even though you had the horse Vet checked, was any bloodwork done? :questionicon: This might tell you what is not normal or out of whack that can shed more light on supplemental feeding, etc. Just a suggestion.

Omega HorseShine is one of my favorite things ever! Really ads that little bit of healthy fat some of the horses need, and makes a HUGE difference in the coat, hair, and hoof quality.

Ditto to Willy, bloodwork, if not already done, would be able to show you any imbalances that need work.