Sign in to follow this  
MyDaddysJag

Big Horn Saddles, Love Em Or Hate Em?

I know big horn saddles have a decent reputation, but I dont know anyone who personally has one, so I thought I would ask here.

If you have one, had one, ridden in one, what did you think about it? Do they seem to fit a variety of horses? comfortable saddles? How do they hold up if cared for properly? Whats your over all opinion?

Also, I guess I should mention, its a full leather saddle, no synthetic. Model 922

I picked one up at a consignment store, was in a hurry and didnt try it out. Got home and realized I should have grabbed a 16" seat, gained some baby weight on bottom that never came off lol. I am trying to decide if I should sell it or keep it and hope to lose some more weight. Honestly, Its nicer than my tex tan I sold in the fall, and easily 10lbs lighter. Ill have to pull out a scale and weigh it. The reason I sold the tex tan is I have a bad shoulder and it was killer to lug up on a horse.

Is there a way to find out what it retailed for new? If I decide to sell it, Im trying to decide what to price it at. Not sure if I over paid, or paid whats considered reasonable. I bought it because of the quality of this specific saddle, I figure any saddle of that quality was worth what I paid.

403790090.jpg

403790091.jpg

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL795/2809024/23909171/403790092.jpg

I've had a few Big Horn saddles. There are different values in each company. Remember; General Motors made the Corvette and also the Chevette. Want to guess which one is better?

Same with saddle companies. They go from top-of-the-line show saddles or using saddles to rent string or "camp" saddles. I presently have a Big Horn that sold for $136.00 when new in 1964. I have the 1963 and 1964 catalogs. It was a common pleasure saddle. I bought it a few years ago at an estate auction and gave $132.50 for it.

I took it all apart and added another layer of leather on the skirts. Then I hand-sewed heavy polyester fleece from Weaver Leather to the skirts. It got new strings and conchos, new stirrup leather buckles(Blevins), stainless steel stirrups and Twist'n'Wraps to keep the stirrups in the riding position. I have no doubt I'll make a profit on the rig.

Is there a way for me to find out the retail price of this saddle when it was new. I know its a model 922, but I dont know what year it was built. I found a catalog page with it on it online, but no price or date. Ill see if It will post here 922__924__923__925__930__931.jpg Its the 922, on the top left.