Sign in to follow this  
MyDaddysJag

Reccomend A Saddle Pad?

We are getting our first riding horse since I quit riding in 2005, and I need to get some tack together for him. I sold all of my riding tack when I got out of riding and into minis. Im looking for a saddle pad, and theres a lot of new stuff out there. Its hard to show online without being able to see and feel them.

Im looking for something with really good support, hes an older guy (19) and while hes completely sound, I would like something very comfortable for him.

It would be awesome if I could get something that was black and royal blue, or shades of blue, hes a nice rich bay.

Nothing that wants to slide.

Were just planning to take him trail riding, to obstacle challenges, and use him for my sons therapeutic lesson horse (son has autism and sensory processing disorder).

I would like to stay under $150.

5 STAR.

They are not under $150, but still very worth the money. If you cant push your budget that much, I believe smith brothers has a few nice felt ones with wear leathers for $100-150 or so.

Ditto the 5 Star. It's an investment piece for sure but you can find them used as well. They are good for 2000 riding hours - do the math, you'd have to be riding for hours and hours and hours every single day of the year to need a new one every year.

^^ Ditto that, Ive been using a Diamond wool for class (horsemanship at a ranch) and its a nice pad- but if you can swing it i would still go for the 5 Star. Love love love mine and it was worth every cent- my saddle fits so much nicer with it.

Sorry to dig this back up, but can you explain what's so special about 5 Star pads? Years ago, felt pads were the norm. Felt pads and wool blankets were just about all you had to choose from. Then along came the fleece, neoprene, etc. Now everyone is swearing by felt again like it's something new.

Same thing with rope halters. There was a time when ALL halters were rope. The flat nylon halters were the new things to come along. Now everyone swears by rope.

The difference here is that a felt pad used to be very reasonably priced. Now they see you coming, and slap a $200 price tag on it. Unless I'm totally missing the boat here, and I'm waiting to hear what's so different and special about this particular brand.

I think.. and then I write anyway.

It's just the fashion circle, spiraling

in pretty neon patterns!

They hope you can't remember back that far.

Thank you, Okate. That's exactly what I thought. While SOME things have improved over the years, many things have not.

Barrel, thank you for replying. I understand the advantages of one product over another. The advantages are the same as they were 30 years ago, when the 'new' stuff came out. Now we're being told our 'old' stuff is better and we should pay more for it.

Fifty years ago, there were no flat nylon halters. ONLY rope halters. To me, the pretty colored flat nylon ones are the "new style." Rope halters are great, but they're old-fashioned. Still love them, though. I've got one or two around here that are probably 30 years old or better.

Felt pads? Same thing. Wool pads, too. The "neoprene" "tacky" "waffle" "gel" "air" etc. are all the new and improved. Heck, fleece pads were all the rage in the 80's. "Cool Back" pads were the hottest thing since sliced bread. They were claimed to be the very best thing for your horse's back. Now we're going back to the old felt and wool pads I grew up with. That my parents and grandparents grew up with for that matter. And now we're charged big bucks that a decade ago you found in the bargain bins for a 10-spot because they were ugly.

Next we'll be going back to the Cool Back pads and nylon halters and pretending they're new again. LOL

:rotf: I thought it was just me.

There are a few new things, like the smart cinch.

Makes me look real stupid the first few times.

Luckily I kept the essencials when I sold the

one that broke me.

I have an Impact Gel pad and I love love love it.

My next purchase this year will be a 5 Star pad because I want an extra saddle pad around, and I've wanted to try one myself for a long time.

PacaPaca -- While it's true that trends always will go around and come around, I do think the wool and felt pads we have today are much, much better than those that were around 20 or 30 years ago. Todays pads are much more formed to the horse's back (not flat and square pieces of felt) and have a lot more pressure-absorbing technology behind them.

I've always hated neoprene pads (they are stiff as a board) and hated fleece pads (the fleece just smashes down and holds no support at all). I like felt and wool because it's not stiff, and it will lay nicely on the horse's back as well as wick away moisture.

I grew up with nothing but nylon halters. We got our first rope halter (hand made by a neighbor) for my horse about 10 years ago. Haven't gone back to nylon since. You can get a horse much more responsive and soft in a rope halter, IMO. The only nylon halters my horses wear are breakaway halters when they are trailered and tied (in case a horse falls, they won't be "hung").