Sign in to follow this  
Sakura18

Blackrock

Does anyone use it for saddles? I just got 2 jars for a headstall and my boots. It made the leather on the headstall soft and pliable. I also like it because the dirextions say use fingertips,i like to work oil in with my habds compared to a rag.

Thoughts?

I've used it on saddles, and I'll have to do that for the foreseeable future. You see, I bought 72 jars of it at a tack auction. Got a heck of a good price on it and had to bid.

I've used just my fingers, or a piece of rag, such as old T-shirt, or a toothbrush. The toothbrush helps to get it into the tooling really well and helps to get out any extra Black Rock left in the tooling.

One thing I've learned about Black Rock is that a little goes a long way. After I've applied the Black Rock to my satisfaction, I let the leather sit overnight and then use a shoeshine brush on it, then a polishing rag or piece of sheepskin.

How much did you have to pay for your Black Rock?

$5 a jar usually,its made about an hour from me. I love how a little goes a long way.

I guess i need to let it set on the leather longer,i only let it set for half an hour or so.

It is good! I love it! I just did my saddle and it really helped. And it doesn't darken the leather,at all. I have a very light headstall that I love. I used it and it didn't darken it,and left it very smooth and pliable.

I use that stuff to on all my leather tack and my boots too. Its awsome!! I usualy use a tack sponge or rag to apply it and a toothbrush to get into the tooling. After it sets for a bit then i wipe down with a clean rag.

I've looked for this stuff at multiple tack shops/farm supply stores here in IL. Haven't found any yet! lol. may just have to buy online.

I've looked for this stuff at multiple tack shops/farm supply stores here in IL. Haven't found any yet! lol. may just have to buy online.

It comes in rather small jars so it might be easy to overlook it. The jars are about the size that cold cream comes in. White lid and mostly tan label. Good luck finding it!

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

Auctions are a good place to pick it up at. If you go to the Arthur auction they usually sell it there. Or the Carrollton auction has it too. I just picked up a few more jars. ($7 a jar,oh well...i was out)

Does anyone use it for saddles? I just got 2 jars for a headstall and my boots. It made the leather on the headstall soft and pliable. I also like it because the dirextions say use fingertips,i like to work oil in with my habds compared to a rag.

Thoughts?

I have used it on my saddles, even my show saddle. Good stuff. Did not affect the color on the saddles at all. I highly recommend it. Makes your hands feel good too.