Sign in to follow this  
Cactus Rose

Helmets -- Posted Here Cuz I Need All Input

......so the end of July my horse and I went over a........cliff.

Oh dont worry....the horse is fine. But I kinda busted up a fair amount of stuff and things and now have to be extra careful.

Not that I will be riding in the near future, but I have started looking at helmets. I have two Troxels........afew years old.....but want to upgrade to something a bit more high tech and COOLER

There is quite a selection.

This is the one that has caught my eye. ?...with its streamlined shape and air vents.......but holy crap......expensive

http://www.doversaddlery.com/gpa-speed-air-evolution-helmet-in-two-tone-colors/p/X1-36242B/&re=viewbuyrec/

Is it infact worth the money spent?

This is a fairly important decision.....id sure appreciate some input.

Edited by Cactus Rose

No way would I pay that much for a helmet, when it's not any safer than any other ASTM certified helmet. Those a very popular brand in the show jumping world, where helmets are a bit of a fashion.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tipperary-sportage-8500-riding-helmet/p/X1-36064/?ids=k2i2qyvghevk5b45taopz0ea

These are very very lighweight, comfortable, and cool, just as safe from an excellent company that specializes in three day eventing gear. It's just kind of ugly compared to the show helmets, but great for schooling and trails!

Edited by Kiss The Sky

I have this one only in black.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation%3f-deluxe-schooler-helmet/p/X1-3768/

I like it and it's cheaper then some of the others. I'm hoping it works better than my cheapy Troxel helmets. I used to have the white Troxel ones and so did the school I went to and several times they've busted or been dented and the fall wasn't really that bad so I'd had to see if we really had a traumatic fall in one of them.

No way would I pay that much for a helmet, when it's not any safer than any other ASTM certified helmet. Those a very popular brand in the show jumping world, where helmets are a bit of a fashion.

http://www.doversadd...evk5b45taopz0ea

These are very very lighweight, comfortable, and cool, just as safe from an excellent company that specializes in three day eventing gear. It's just kind of ugly compared to the show helmets, but great for schooling and trails!

Love the Tipperarys. I had one and loive the fit. I say "had" because I did have a fall and had to replace it. Tried another helmet with a similat design. It is ok but the fit isn't as good as the Tipperary was. If possible go try some different brands on. Brands will fit differently. If a helmet fits comfortably you will be more likely to wear it. Just make sure the helmet you settle on is ASTM approved.

I ride in either the Troxel Sierra or the Tipperary helmets. The Tipperary is a little more oval in fit and very light weight. Good luck in your search.

I'd say go to a local tack store and try on the recommended brands. Everyone's heads are shaped differently, so what works for one person will be uncomfortable or won't fit properly (potential for more injury there) on another. Although I also agree with Tipperary :)

Thank you. I appreciate the input.

See now Oz the value of my cranium was the only reason why i even gave the crazy expensive one even a second thought. But i just got to wondering it it in fact DID have four times the safetyness.

I wish i cud go to a tack store that carried a selection. Alas.......it wud be a three hour drive........or more.........IF.they even happened to carry something a bit more higher end.

Ya....i did see the Tipperary advertised. This one features very similar venting as that other one..... http://www.doversaddlery.com/tipperary-t2-helmet/p/X1-36306/?ids=4ecsgg552svafg55row4zru4

Then there is this slightly higher end one....... http://www.doversaddlery.com/tipperary-t4/p/X1-36307/?ids=4ecsgg552svafg55row4zru4

Did you click to read the notice & warning? It's only 3 paragraphs, telling that equestrian sports are dangerous and/or deadly and a disclaimer releasing Dover from all responsibilities. There's also a paragraph that says to replace it if it receives an impact. Read the last 2 sentences;

"CAUTION: Helmets must fit well and all retention straps must be securely fastened. Helmets are constructed so that the energy of an impact may be absorbed through partial destruction of the helmet. Helmets that suffer an impact should be destroyed and replaced. The protective qualities of helmets may be compromised by prior impact, age, use and many common substances. Always follow the manufacturer?s recommendations before applying cleaning agents, paints, or adhesives"

$600.00 seems like a lot when it is possible to have to replace it every time you bump it or use the wrong cleaner. Many helmets are vented for air flow & some look better than others, but they all meet the same safety requirements. After that, airflow & styling is basically your bells & whistles. I would go for one of the cheaper ones.

Glad you weren't hurt too badly.

I'd go with a Tipperary. I know tons of people who have them and they love them. I ride in an IRH Elite Extreme, which is basically the knock off of the first one you posted for a fraction of the price.

I ride in that one because I like the more traditional look, but all my riding students have Tipperary's and they love them and I love that they have so much support for the back of the head.

This is the helmet I have. I bought it a couple of days after your accident.ph34r.gifCharles Owen It sits well enough for me so I'm sure it wouldn't fall off even if I didn't close the harness ... which I always do, but it's important that it sits well enough to stay where it's supposed to be.

Tipperary and Charles Owen fits a round head well ... Troxel and most other (all?) fits a more oval head. It would be best if you could at least try a helmet so you can get one that really fits your head.

Good gods that's a lot of money!

I always figured my $60 Troxel would do me just fine. There must be some Web site out there that compares them.

Its times like these I wish I lived in a major centre. A large city. A bustling metropolis with a million stores.

Cuz its three plus hours to get anywhere that may or may not have something for me to try on.

Ya Kat I know. Helmets and vests can be pretty pricey......but having already had what the hospital referred to as "a brain injury" I just cant take any chances of whackng my coconut again. And thats assuming I can eventually gather my courage and balance and coordination together well enough to get back on a horse.

Cactus Rose~I'm so sorry to hear of your fall. I can tell you after my accidents last year I purchased my helmets at Dovers. One was a IRH All Terrain that is low profile, light, and very comfortable. I liked it most because of the reviews, low profile, and venting. I hate looking like I have a mushroom head! Lol! I barely know it's on. The other is more of a show velvet Charles Owen. At least at Dovers you can return it if the fit doesn't work for you. Make sure it is something that you feel comfortable wearing every time you ride. Mine ran on sale for about $50.00. I also bought full seat riding breeches to help me "stick" in the saddle better. They ran on sale for about the same price. These were inexpensive little fixes that contributed to my confidence to get back on after a stint of falls that contributed to my fears and self doubts. It has taken some time, but the thought of not riding was just not an option for me. I hope you are well on the mend and back in the saddle when you are ready!

Its times like these I wish I lived in a major centre. A large city. A bustling metropolis with a million stores.

Cuz its three plus hours to get anywhere that may or may not have something for me to try on.

Ya Kat I know. Helmets and vests can be pretty pricey......but having already had what the hospital referred to as "a brain injury" I just cant take any chances of whackng my coconut again. And thats assuming I can eventually gather my courage and balance and coordination together well enough to get back on a horse.

Come to Lethbridge! I know the perfect place for you to go and he's got tons of helmets. (Although I'm assuming that's the three hour drive you're talkin about)

I have this helmet...

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/aegis-aspen-helmet/SLT900381/

And I absolutely love it. Much lower profile and lighter weight than either of my Troxels. I got it in the carbon color too so it is cooler than my black helmets. I had tried my friends Tipperary and didn't like how it fit, the Troxels were never quite perfect either. This one fits my head like a glove, I often forget I am even wearing it.

If you can, try some on before you buy, since everyone likes different things and certain helmets fit differently. My vote for comfort and affordability though goes to Aegis. Good luck!

<snip> At least at Dovers you can return it if the fit doesn't work for you. Make sure it is something that you feel comfortable wearing every time you ride. Mine ran on sale for about $50.00. I also bought full seat riding breeches to help me "stick" in the saddle better. They ran on sale for about the same price. <snip>

Yes ... if you know if you have a round or oval head you can measure your head and take a chance, all helmets are very similar today. The one thing I wouldn't do is to get one that can be adjusted to different sizes ... I wouldn't trust that the adjustments would hold and protect for a major bump. I want a helmet that's made for my size and shape to give me as much protection as possible. My head is worth the extra dollars.

Full seat breaches is a good idea (says she who rides a disciplin where full seat breaches is the normlaugh.gif) I have a couple of pairs of Tropical Rider's deerskin breaches. They are my absolute favorite, the leather is very soft and smooth and they are "pull ons" so it doesn't matter what weight I am ... they fit perfect every day of the month.winking0073.gif

I don't post much anymore. But, I felt compelled.

I work (guess worked, now as I am moving out of state in about week) at Dover, so helmets have become much more familiar to me. Yes, with that price you're going to tell a difference. GPA is a great brand, stylish or not. I myself ride in a Charles Owen JR8, it's the most comfortable helmet for me. Not to mention the fact that Charles Owen does some pretty extensive testing, more than any other brand and more than is required by law.

Tipperary is a good brand too, they don't fit me. Ovation is on the okay end.

I try to steer people away from Troxel as they just aren't the quality of helmet one should be using to protect their brain- yes they're certified- but that does not necessarily mean extremely safe. Also, I try to get people away from IRH too. I know a couple of people who have suffered brain injuries from falling off jumping in their IRH helmets.

Fact of the matter is, each brand will fit differently. GPA fits people with more of a round shaped head, whereas Charles Owen fits people with more of an oval shaped head. Ovation is also in the round family, I would say.

Also, if you get a GPA or a Charles Owen, make sure the helmet almost fits too tight. The padding will loosen, especially with the CO, almost a whole hat size after few rides. Should it give you a head ache? Almost.

......my nervousness riding Graywolf (so far only from an armchair and in my head) is more about playing out scenerios where the horse trips or loses its footing.

You see I didnt just fall off my horse.

The horse slipped/lost its footing and the two of us went over a fifty + foot cliff

I appreciate your inut LovDove. I will definitely remember ur comment about snug fit.

To clarify....I dont expect a helmet to be like magical forcefield. It wudnt have stopped me from breaking those six ribs.......that clavical.......it wudnt have prevented a broken neck had I landed wrong.

Certainly there is an inherent risk involved in riding. And we all choose to accept that risk when we put our foot in the stirrup.

But jyst know that.......even someone with twenty years experience can fall victim to a set of circumstances that........leaves a mark.

Its why it is called an accident.

I plan on doing more than I was before to protect the pablum upstairs.

Thus sayeth the Prickly Flower.

Edited by Cactus Rose

If I remember right IRH makes some good models that are a lot cheaper than GPA or CO. Hate to say it, but with GPA especially, you are largely paying for fashion - it's been the helmet of choice in the A circuit ring for a while now and the price reflects it. I haven't heard of anybody having problems with their IRH in falls, above and beyond the types of issues you'd have in any helmet (fall hard enough and no helmet will help)

I have a CO and I LOVVVVE it very much, but am the first to admit I'm largely paying for the style (I'm a snob, what can I say? I love velvet helmets and I love the squishy thing at the back of this particular one, heh).

This link should work, it's to all the IRH helmets dover carries:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/IRH/c/B58/

My only gripe with this brand is that I had to get one a long time ago to be on the college team, and the model they ordered for the team only came in small, medium, and large, and you had to 'pad them out' to fit, which I really didn't like from both a comfort and safety standpoint. But looks like they have real sizes now (I like the Elites, actually, and may get one of those next time, though parting from my pretty CO will take some doing).

CR, I'm really sorry that happened to you :( ANd scenarios where the horse trips, like you've been thinking about, often tend to be the worst accidents, for some reason.

Edited by goldentoes

Thanks GT

(hugs)

The tripping thing being worse.....ya.....cud be......cuz the HORSE cant see it coming either and is a little limited with what he can do to even save himself...........

A friend is riding Gunner at the local cattle auction this Thursday. Sorting pairs and whatnot. Although remarkably he doesnt appear to have any physical repercussions......being dropped into a foreign setting with a different rider might uncover some "emotional/mental" issues. Time will tell.

Edited by Cactus Rose

Oh, I understand completely! :huggy: I just didn't realize some helmets cost that much and now I'm wondering if mine is sufficient.

I don't post much anymore. But, I felt compelled.

I work (guess worked, now as I am moving out of state in about week) at Dover, so helmets have become much more familiar to me. Yes, with that price you're going to tell a difference. GPA is a great brand, stylish or not. I myself ride in a Charles Owen JR8, it's the most comfortable helmet for me. Not to mention the fact that Charles Owen does some pretty extensive testing, more than any other brand and more than is required by law.

Tipperary is a good brand too, they don't fit me. Ovation is on the okay end.

I try to steer people away from Troxel as they just aren't the quality of helmet one should be using to protect their brain- yes they're certified- but that does not necessarily mean extremely safe. Also, I try to get people away from IRH too. I know a couple of people who have suffered brain injuries from falling off jumping in their IRH helmets.

Fact of the matter is, each brand will fit differently. GPA fits people with more of a round shaped head, whereas Charles Owen fits people with more of an oval shaped head. Ovation is also in the round family, I would say.

Also, if you get a GPA or a Charles Owen, make sure the helmet almost fits too tight. The padding will loosen, especially with the CO, almost a whole hat size after few rides. Should it give you a head ache? Almost.

Thanks so much for the info!

Certainly there is an inherent risk involved in riding. And we all choose to accept that risk when we put our foot in the stirrup.

But jyst know that.......even someone with twenty years experience can fall victim to a set of circumstances that........leaves a mark.

Its why it is called an accident.

I plan on doing more than I was before to protect the pablum upstairs.

Thus sayeth the Prickly Flower.

That's exactly why I wish more people would wear helmets while riding and why I'm getting a bicycle helmet for the first time in my life.

I have a Charles Owens Ayr8. I love it. It's way cooler than my old IRH. My sweet BF bought it for me for my birthday because he knew I'd never get it on my own.

CR, I don't have anything to add info wise on helmets, but I just wanted to say I am glad you are still with us and back on HC! Lots of us (HC and elsewhere) were worried about you. You are one tough cowgirl! Take it easy and ease yourself back into riding. And I am thinking since you have already had one major tumble that chances are you won't be going for such a tumble again! Hugs dear lady!

Cactus Rose - first and foremost - glad you are ok! I am casting another vote for the Tipperary Sportage - affordable, comfortable and low profile.

I love my GPA. I've had many other brands over the years and I'll never go back to any of them.

That being said, GPA's seem to only have perfect fit like mine does on me on people with rather round heads. I've had several friends who wear the same size hat as me try mine. Those who are narrower across the front and back of their heads, with longer sides- none of them really loved the fit. It could be adjusted by adding padding on the sides, I suppose, but when you're spending that much, you deserve perfection. Now, none of them actually disliked the helmet, they just failed to see why I'm SOOO in love with it.

I was a C-section baby, and I really do have a very round head. I can't say enough how much I really adore my GPA. If you're round headed, get one! If you're not... well, you might still like it... but I'd make sure you can return it if you don't.

Thank you round oval and square headed people alike. I may just have to hook up with Tag and see what and where the store is that she is referring to. Becuz size matters. And fit of course......