myriamw

Preferable Saddles For Gaited Horses

I have an Aussie saddle for my gaited horse, but im pretty sure its to small for her. it slides to the side when mounting and while galloping it will slide. i love aussie saddles there all ive ever ridden in exept for a few times of riding on my friends horse in a western saddle. the sturrups on my aussie allow you to move your legs back a good bit so with my qaited horse she likes to gallop and since the sturrups can move back im constantly falling forward. my new horse is my first gaited horse so i havent had the falling forward problem before. ive been looking for a new saddle but im not sure what to go for like western endurance, ropping or pleasure? whats your preferance for gaited horses?

Pretty much general rule of thumb is what fits you and the horse is the best saddle.

I used an Aussie with my boy for a long time.. it finally got too small for him.. went through 9 saddles in 5 years, and still use my Natural ride bareback saddle for basic riding.. I use it on trails, and puttering around town. It is awesome in winter as it keeps me very very warm. And is just my favorite saddle. It has a small tree, so it is not your normal bareback pad which I find dangerous with stirrups.. this allows for stability, and is light enough I can put it up on my horse myself and not ask for help.

100_2075.jpg

100_2069.jpg

100_0134.jpg

100_4898.jpg

100_4652.jpg

When I ride with an actual saddle, I use What should be an Arabian treed circle y (say should be, cause really not sure..but sure is comfy) Has never gotten in the way of his shoulders, and he moves out really nicely in it.. and for me it is comfy. My brother however didn't like the narrow twist.. LOL

100_3417.jpg

100_3346.jpg

582134_10151922827875650_2145228735_n.jpg

100_3456.jpg

I have an english that fits him fairly well, but I rather use it on the other boy.. so those are what i use for my gaited boy.. as to his exact breed, I finally found the breeder and he is a tennuvian, (Peruvian paso, and Tennessee walker cross)

Edited by kitten-kat

I have an Aussie saddle for my gaited horse, but im pretty sure its to small for her. it slides to the side when mounting and while galloping it will slide. i love aussie saddles there all ive ever ridden in exept for a few times of riding on my friends horse in a western saddle. the sturrups on my aussie allow you to move your legs back a good bit so with my qaited horse she likes to gallop and since the sturrups can move back im constantly falling forward. my new horse is my first gaited horse so i havent had the falling forward problem before. ive been looking for a new saddle but im not sure what to go for like western endurance, ropping or pleasure? whats your preferance for gaited horses?

I would help to know the breed of your gated horse. :winking:

I agree that what fits you and your horse is best. I bought a used Tucker saddle that fits my TWH mare very well and is very comfortable for me too. My mare is the first TWH I've owned, read everything I could get my hands on and couldn't believe how many "experts" (snort) insisted special saddles, bridles, etc for gaited horses. The fit of the saddle (whatever brand/type that may be) makes more sense to me. I've been riding a gaited gelding (saddle gait) for 16 yrs and he didn't need anything special, so why would my TWH need a special saddle....just my 2 cents

Ditto on knowing the breed and pictures of your horse from the side and front so that we can see how wide the horse's shoulders and barrel are would be perfect.

Your Aussie saddle is designed for Thoroughbreds or horses with the same bone structure and long thin muscles. Some gaited horses out of show lines will have a physical structure that can fit into an Aussie. If the gaited horse has limited muscle tone an Aussie will be okay for a short period of time. With most gaited horses you need a gullet width of 7 inches to allow their shoulders to freely move. The fact that your Aussie is sliding around means that it is too narrow in the gullet. You should be seeing white patches of hair starting to show where your saddle is causing damage.

There are saddles that are designed with a Y shaped tree for gaited horses. The top of the Y fits over the wide shoulder and allows free movement. Some regular English, Dressage or Western saddles with Wide or Full Quarter Bars will fit gaited horses. It depends the individual saddle brand & style and how it fits your horse and you.

I have a Missouri Foxtrotter that is built like a Morgan. She has wide shoulders, well sprung ribs, a deep heart-girth, good withers, high head set and a very short back. I'm 5'10" with 35" legs and I need a narrow twist. So saddles built for men won't work for me.

So far, we have tried 22 saddles (gaited and regular). If they fit Sienna, they don't fit me. The only saddle that fit her and is okay for me is an older Circle Y park & trail saddle with full quarter horse bars and rounded skirts. We don't know what year it is and five other saddles of the same brand & name haven't worked. Sadly, it belongs to my friend and she loves it too.

Ditto on knowing the breed and pictures of your horse from the side and front so that we can see how wide the horse's shoulders and barrel are would be perfect.

Your Aussie saddle is designed for Thoroughbreds or horses with the same bone structure and long thin muscles. Some gaited horses out of show lines will have a physical structure that can fit into an Aussie. If the gaited horse has limited muscle tone an Aussie will be okay for a short period of time. With most gaited horses you need a gullet width of 7 inches to allow their shoulders to freely move. The fact that your Aussie is sliding around means that it is too narrow in the gullet. You should be seeing white patches of hair starting to show where your saddle is causing damage.

There are saddles that are designed with a Y shaped tree for gaited horses. The top of the Y fits over the wide shoulder and allows free movement. Some regular English, Dressage or Western saddles with Wide or Full Quarter Bars will fit gaited horses. It depends the individual saddle brand & style and how it fits your horse and you.

I have a Missouri Foxtrotter that is built like a Morgan. She has wide shoulders, well sprung ribs, a deep heart-girth, good withers, high head set and a very short back. I'm 5'10" with 35" legs and I need a narrow twist. So saddles built for men won't work for me.

So far, we have tried 22 saddles (gaited and regular). If they fit Sienna, they don't fit me. The only saddle that fit her and is okay for me is an older Circle Y park & trail saddle with full quarter horse bars and rounded skirts. We don't know what year it is and five other saddles of the same brand & name haven't worked. Sadly, it belongs to my friend and she loves it too.

Good post dondie! A saddle that is sliding means to me that the saddle does not fit the horse.

I agree. Not ALL gated horse breeds are the same. My Columbian made Paso saddles for my Paso's might fit a MFT but most likely not a TWH.

Knowing the breed can quickly narrow down a saddle that has been designed for the size, conformation and general horse use. Then it is easier to fit the correct saddle for the horse. You can also take measurements of your horse to help narrow down the saddle size and build and work with the saddle makers. THEN you can worry about YOUR build and how the saddle works for you and most come in different sizes for the rider.

Edit: Your saddle pad could also be a problem or part of the problem. We bought some new pads that looked great cause we just happen to see them.... and the first time that we used them our saddles would slip to the point of being dangerous. We went back to our old ones and ordered new ones of those that had proven to be very good. The slippery pads became dog beds.

Edited by Sereno

I have a problem with my Aussie saddle tipping forward just a bit on my smaller horses. I fold a western saddle blanket liner in half and then lay it long ways across their withers. Then add my regular pad and saddle and it works perfectly.

I have been riding my new Peruvian with an Aussie saddle. I have found that Peruvian horses are built A framed so their spin sticks up higher than like the spine on my QH which is buried in muscle. The people who had her before me were riding her with a western saddle and it made a sore on her back.

I am hoping the height of the Aussie will be better for her. She definitely seems to gait better in it than in the western.

I agree with everyone... It is going to be different for every horse and rider. I may get down the rd and realize this aussie isn't working and may have to go another route. I really love the look of the english/endurance ortho flex saddles but they are pricey!

I absolutely adored my Eli Miller Endurance saddle and used it for 2-3 horses. It fit them all quite nicely and was wonderfully comfortable to ride in. It started out that way with my new KMSH mare but now it's pinching in the shoulder. Her stride has shortened and the last time we went out she stopped periodically and looked back at me as if to say "Why are you doing this to me???" I've also noticed her topline sagging a little. All signs to me that this saddle no longer fits her. Sure enough, I took some measurements and she is definitely in need of a wider saddle. The hunt begins. :-(

I absolutely adored my Eli Miller Endurance saddle and used it for 2-3 horses. It fit them all quite nicely and was wonderfully comfortable to ride in. It started out that way with my new KMSH mare but now it's pinching in the shoulder. Her stride has shortened and the last time we went out she stopped periodically and looked back at me as if to say "Why are you doing this to me???" I've also noticed her topline sagging a little. All signs to me that this saddle no longer fits her. Sure enough, I took some measurements and she is definitely in need of a wider saddle. The hunt begins. :-(

Congratulations...You have developed her muscle tone and strength!

Is she the smaller boned, oval/tear drop/slab sided shaped ribbed KMSH or the Morgan type with a larger bone structure and rounded ribs?

A few saddle makers are offering "Wide bar Gaited Saddles." Freedom Saddles (custom orders) and Tucker have really nice wide-bar gaited endurance saddles. Abetta now offers them in cordura and a leather mix. I'm saving up to buy a custom ordered Freedom or Tucker saddle for my horse.

Edited by dondie