Sign in to follow this  
Fawnsmom

How Hard Is It To Change Fenders

I really need to replace the fenders on my Circle Y Barrel saddle . How hard is it to do and where the heck do I find fenders to replace my old ones with ?

I have found a few on ebay - there is a guy that makes them in different lengths...not sure that is what you want. I know there are several saddlemakers that do make them...did you try checking with Circle Y?

lol, I would love to hear Jack's answer, but from my own searching I think the easiest sounding one was to undo the old fender, tie a strong string *guess twine/bailing twine would work* to one of the stirrup holes, pull the old fender out, hence pulling the string up under and around the tree as you pull old fender off.

Then you tie the upper piece of string end to the longest hole setting on new fender, and pull the (bottom) string, which will then feed the new fender over and around the tree and then reconnect.

Sounds easy in theory... :rotf: Did that make any sense????

I'm trying to wrap my brain around what Lassie Lu said. It sounds as if she is dragging the old stirrup leathers out and dragging in the new stirrup leathers and fenders backwards, so the fenders would come to rest below the bars and atop the skirts.

However, Fawnsmom, you might want to e-mail me. You see, I have a brand-new pair of Circle Y stirrup leathers with fenders. A gal had asked me if I could find some for her. It took a little time but I found them. When I told her I had them she said she had gotten some generic fenders. I asked why she didn't tell me to quit looking and she just shrugged.

I think the ones I have are for a barrel saddle. The inside surface is lined with rubber or some type of composition. They are at our old place (the place you came to buy that saddle, when you brought whatshername along), so I can't measure the width of the stirrup leathers right now. I'll check them out tomorrow when I go over to feed the barn cat. I still go over there every day to work on saddles too.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner