Sign in to follow this  
steph1

Any Gun People Here?

My husband was on a replacement job of some heating, ductwork and so on (ac and heating tech). Anyways up in this older lady's attic he found a Remington rand colt .45. It says united states property 1911A1 U. S. Army. The lady had no clue it was in her attic. Anyways at the end of the job (day 4) she gave it to my husband. I've figured out it was made in 1943 and it's valued between $400 and upwards to $2700. Pretty neat gift if you ask me!! My dads foaming at the mouth to buy it from us LOL. Not for sale!!! It was wrapped in news papers that fell apart when moved.

3CDB5F46-6A5A-4449-BDF2-EF7FEF509938-321-0000002DA44ADC1B_zps992be38a.jpg

C57E8C1E-5B70-4373-8745-3A7EE48D565B-321-0000002E3485A529_zps0e69f623.jpg

9B88569D-DAE9-4930-AE7A-9101054F4C18-321-00000030601A9C13_zps4989d96d.jpg

EA50BDA8-EACD-4AFB-9CFF-58BB26C78475-321-00000030961FEE2A_zpsa1d15f97.jpg

1C89A23C-A7E8-4D07-AE84-670AB435F78A-321-00000030C75551C4_zpsd36b1c97.jpg

That's all. Whatcha think? Nice!!

An Army issue 1911 WOWWWWWW! My kids would think they had died and gone to heaven to have that gun! My husband and son have newer models.

He's scare to get it appraised because he wants to use it. He's afraid that if it's worth money he'd be afraid to use it and screw it up. If it was worth money I'd just trade my dad a gun that we could use for it. He has a huge gun collection. LOL

You have a very collectible weapon there.

I also noted that it is "Parkerized", that usually means it was for use in very humid and wet places, like jungle, or even worn for duty on board ship.

Depending on the bore condition, and the action being lubed well, it could be worth upwards of $2000 or more.

That said, if cleaned up and lubed, it will be a nice shooter as well!!

Try it out! Shoot it!

See where it's stamped "United States Property" ? If you look below that you will see that part of the serial number has been filed off, but it might just be the angle that I'm seeing it from. It's probably stolen & you don't want be caught with stolen military weapons. DO NOT try to have it appraised. There's too much risk of having it reported.

Probably, the best thing for you to do is send it to me.

See where it's stamped "United States Property" ? If you look below that you will see that part of the serial number has been filed off, but it might just be the angle that I'm seeing it from.

Probably, the best thing for you to do is send it to me.

No bad angle I assume. Look at closer one of serial number. LOL

And my dads already foaming at the mouth to own it. He told me to text him the new pictures of the next gun he's gonna buy. He cracks me up. He wants to trade me our found gun for his kimber.

Since the "Parkerizing" is mint, it is worth a lot. Not many "parkerized" pistols survived the surplus wars, and most have been reblued that I have seen.

Luther;

This most certainly should not go to you, as I could really use it in MY collection. :yahoo::happy0203:

That particular model 1911 A1 with serial number 1437462 was produced in late 1943 but was actually considered to be a 1944 production model. There were 161,732 of these pistols produced that year by Remington Rand .

http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/1945remRand1911A1b.jpg

http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt%20production.htm

http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/1911infopage.htm

Coolgunsite has lots of information on this pistol.

This is a selling site. That same gun in BETTER condition

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Remington-Rand-1911-1943-Correct.cfm?gun_id=100168522

AD

I feel so loved that y'all would be glad to safely watch and hold the gun for me. But I'm sad to say I'm selfish and plan to keep it for myself. I know I'm a horrible bb and terribly selfish and performing a boarder line bannable offense and I accept that risk.

I'm excited about all the cool info I'm finding out about this gun! Very cool info that y'all are giving me!! Thank you very for helping me out!!

Red, it isn't a navy issue, it's an army weapon. They are very similar, but there is a slight difference. Compare this navy issued colt to the one above to see if you can tell what it is. It's very slight, yet very distinctive.

http://collectoreboo...istol/35000.htm

The one in your link says "Navy" on the slide, instead of "Army"? :crazy: & this one is greenish, yours is blued, & the loop on the bottom of the grip where the clip goes is in a different spot? Plastic grip vs Wood grip? &the Safety thingie (Brain fart here!) on the spine of the grip is different. The Navy is flatter, missing the ridge that the Army has. Oh & the actual trigger is more rounded on the Army. Did I win? :happy0203: (LOL,loved playing "Find The difference in the pictures" game as a kid! )

My husband and I, very AVID 1911 shooters, are drooling all over the computer! NEVER trade for a Kimber! What you have is a piece of WWII history and I would purchase a small safe or rent a safety deposit box at the bank. Is it worth all that??? OH YES! Congratulations! If you ever get to a point you want to sell, seriously...contact me. Be careful of hot loads as the slide will be softer than modern slides because of the different heat treating methods today.Annndd go on line and learn how to clean it and with what brushes and solvent and lubricant. Take care of it and it will take care of you!

PS~ Not all Kimbers are bad. My 1st Christmas gift from my husband was a Kimber Grand Rapter.

Edited by Graywolf 1

I called my dad today and asked him to trade for a gun we can use and not fear ruining it. He thinks he has a .9 He collects guns and this will be added to his collection. That way we really don't "lose" the gun like we would selling it. I'm gonna pm you greywolf.