subliminal

Favorite Slow Cooker Meals

I'm trying to make at least 1 crock pot/slow cooker meal a week. Just moved into a new house with my fiance and finally have the room to freeze lots of leftovers (my goal is eventually to have our own homemade stock of frozen dinners).

Anyway, I make a tortilla/chicken salsa soup this past week and have no idea what this week's meal(s) should be. Grocery shopping tomorrow so ideas are appreciated. It's a super hectic week at work so easy is appreciated as is relatively healthy.

I'm not a big meat person. I will eat chicken, but I don't eat pork or beef. Any ideas? I'm browsing lots a recipes but just can't find anything.

What are everyone's favorites?

You can bake potatoes. Wash, butter and wrap in foil like you were going to put them in the oven, Stand them on end in your crock pot. Add a little water in the bottom. Cook on low all day. They taste just like you baked them in an oven.

I love a good batch of chilli in the slow cooker. But we use venison instead of beef. And it's cubed. Oh and best thing EVER!!!! We've put chicken (we've butchered that are tough) in the slow cooker all day then shredded it for chicken soup or chicken and dumplings. But really the only real reason we use the crock pot is chilli. YUMMMMY!!!!

I make chicken curry, bbq chicken, brownies, cake, pizza, enchiladas, chicken chili - pretty much anything and everything in my crockpot!! Think of some of your favorite meals...and then google that meal in crockpot form...it's amazing what's out there

I make lots of stuff in the slow cooker, but one that was really good this last week was a creamy potato soup.

3# potatoes, washed and diced small

1 diced onion

3+ cloves garlic minced

6 cups chicken stock

8oz cream cheese

pepper to taste

Let it cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8. When potatoes are done, mash them or puree everything. Then add in some chopped carrots and corn for another hour on high, or until the carrots are soft. Serve with your favorite toppings, cheese, bacon, green onions, etc.

Ditto to the chili slow cooker dinner. Corn bread only takes 20 minutes to oven cook, after you let it rest 5 minutes to raise. We make it in a cake pan.

For breakfast that you can microwave heat at home or work

Slow-Cooker pumpkin steel cut oatmeal

6 cups water

3 cups uncooked pumpkin, preferably from pie or sugar pumpkins

1 1/2 cups uncooked steel cut oats

1/2 cup honey

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp table salt

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, or grated nutmeg

Put everything in a 3-6 quart slow cooker; stir well.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours; stir well before serving. Yeilds about 8 cups.

Swap sweet potato for the pumpkin, if desired.

Hubby likes his with butter substitute. I like mine with a little milk. Plus whole wheat toast

Ditto to the chili slow cooker dinner. Corn bread only takes 20 minutes to oven cook, after you let it rest 5 minutes to raise. We make it in a cake pan.

For breakfast that you can microwave heat at home or work

Slow-Cooker pumpkin steel cut oatmeal

6 cups water

3 cups uncooked pumpkin, preferably from pie or sugar pumpkins

1 1/2 cups uncooked steel cut oats

1/2 cup honey

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp table salt

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, or grated nutmeg

Put everything in a 3-6 quart slow cooker; stir well.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours; stir well before serving. Yeilds about 8 cups.

Swap sweet potato for the pumpkin, if desired.

Hubby likes his with butter substitute. I like mine with a little milk. Plus whole wheat toast

That sounds WONDERFUL!!! I'm definitely going to pick up some pumpkin and make that! I love steel cut oats in the crock pot. Normally I make apple and cinnamon steel cut oats (cooks overnight), but this is definitely something to try!

This blog has some really good crockpot recipes; I've tried a couple and they've always come out well: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

I also like chucking a whole roaster chicken in there, with some chicken broth, chopped potatoes, carrots, onion slices, and some salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme.

WAIT. What are "Steel cut oats?"

OUR favorite crock pot meal is, a random roast-type chunk of whatever meat we have... Chicken, goat, beef, pork, venison, rabbit, squirrel.... cover in "Family Size" can of Mushroom soup, quarter enough potatoes to fill in around the meat, top with skinned or baby carrots, a quartered onion, a TBSP minced Garlic, fresh ground peppercorns, & a couple pinches of sea salt, set on Low for the day, Med if you don't start till Noon, or High after 3 pm, will be ready by 7 ish. Make some brown rice on the side when you get a few minutes, & enjoy!

All these sound really good. I will be trying some of them. I also cook pinto beans in my crock pot. put beans and water in pot and cook on low overnight. Add cut up onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper and worchestershire sauce to taste. If you have bacon or a ham bone, add them in the morning. Cook on low the rest of the day. Serve with a pan of cornbread.

A good and simple recipe - pork chops and cream of mushroom soup. Cook on low all day (8 hrs). I usually cook 4 pork chops and 2 can of soup, to get a lot of "gravy". Serve over rice.

Steel cut oats look like whole oats that aren't rolled... just cut in pieces, if that makes sense. I make an oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, a touch of brown sugar, and steel cut oats that is SO good, my kid loves it. Just be sure to spray down your crock pot really well, or it's a mess to clean.

You can get steel cut oats at Amazon.com ( along with just about anything else imaginable or what you thought was unimaginable ! ! !) That being said... I prefer a slow cooker to a crock pot... pot can be put on stove or in fridge...can heat from 1(warm)- 5 (boiling ).... cooks faster than a crock pot... but that is just my preference....

As far as favorite things too cook? ? ? Root Crop Veggies... onions, taters, carrots, turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, pitch in half a stick of margarine, salt and pepper to taste.... ( I cook mine on "5" ) and in a few hours you have a tasty meal.... :happy0203: Syc

Edited by sycamore124

I never knew there was a difference between a slow cooker and a crock pot?

Me neither until I moved to the south. :ashamed0002:

My fav recipe is spare ribs, sauerkraut and potatoes. Throw it in, salt n pepper. Done in a few hours. Mmmmm!

BIG DIFFERENCE ! ! ! Any time I find one at a slow cooker at a yard sale or consignment shop... I will scarf it up... a word to the wise though ... make sure the lid has a knob, and lifts from the center of the lid ! ! ! I just found one recently where the handles were on the sides of the lid... took the pot, and heating base home, and left the lid there... a lid that has handles on each side of the lid will get you burned in a heartbeat ! ! ! -

When the lid is removed... trapped steam will come up and scald your hands... I usually keep the pot and heating base ( they say griddle... but have never used the heating base for that purpose... but guess that shows you how hot these babies can get ! )....

As I said... you can bring the pot to a boil on a stove top, then transfer it to the base or just crank the base up to 5 and let it roll.... thing I like about it is I have 5 different settings from 1-5 not just warm and high like most crock post... but... this is just me...

Here is a link for one on amazon's site http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-84915-5-Quart-Oblong-Shaped/dp/B000TK8SLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348641539&sr=8-1&keywords=Westbend+84905+5-Quart+Oblong-Shaped+Slow+Cooker ... you can look at the product description and reviews...

only time I use a crock pot is when the food item is already cooked, and I am taking to a pot luck to be served out of the crock pot... Syc

Edited by sycamore124

Me neither until I moved to the south. :ashamed0002:

My fav recipe is spare ribs, sauerkraut and potatoes. Throw it in, salt n pepper. Done in a few hours. Mmmmm!

that sounds SO good!! and gawd knows i have access to sauerkraut and potatos lol. do you have to brown the ribs first, and do you add any stock or just rely on the sauerkraut juices?

that sounds SO good!! and gawd knows i have access to sauerkraut and potatos lol. do you have to brown the ribs first, and do you add any stock or just rely on the sauerkraut juices?

I think browning the ribs is personal preference and also however much time you have to slow cook it. Just be sure to cut the potatoes into chunks that will cook all the way through. If I leave mine on the whole day I leave the potatoes quite large, if only a few hours I cut them smaller. Does that make sense?

If I buy the "bagged" kraut I don't add any extra water because it seems to have enough. If it's the canned kind I might add a just a bit.

My grandmother added bouillon to hers but I never do because I don't want the added salt. I'm assuming it was a Czech or Croatian dish? That is her ancestry. Or it could have been Polish ... I'm not sure.

Steel cut oats look like whole oats that aren't rolled... just cut in pieces, if that makes sense. I make an oatmeal with apples, cinnamon, a touch of brown sugar, and steel cut oats that is SO good, my kid loves it. Just be sure to spray down your crock pot really well, or it's a mess to clean.

If you use a large oven bag in your crockpot you don't have to clean it. Just drape it over the edges and you are good to go. :happy0203:

If you use a large oven bag in your crockpot you don't have to clean it. Just drape it over the edges and you are good to go. :happy0203:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE the bag idea. I would have never thought of that. whoooot!

They do make crock pot liners. I used them when my middle grandson added water to the baked potatoes. Cracked the crock.

Chicken in the crock pot is easy! I spray mine with pam, throw in the chicken(usually boneless skinless thighs)and an onion or a can of french onion soup. Whatever spices you like on your chicken. Put on the lid, set on low and forget for the day. You can also use cream of mushroom soup. I have also added hot water and rice or noodles for the last couple of hours.

A good and simple recipe - pork chops and cream of mushroom soup. Cook on low all day (8 hrs). I usually cook 4 pork chops and 2 can of soup, to get a lot of "gravy". Serve over rice.

I use cream of celery and add sliced potatoes, celery and onions - or omit potatoes but serve over mashed (the Gem's famous mashed from flakes - LOL)