MarkSaha

?Jesus Rifles? A Potential Hazard To Troops In Afghanistan

Weirdness in the news...

The code on an ACOG (Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight) made for the U.S. military by defense contractor Trijicon. The lettering at the end, JN8:12 refers to the Bible passage John 8:12.

120926-gun-serials-kb-130pphotoblog600.jpg

See Complete Story:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/26/14112808-no-fix-for-jesus-rifles-deploying-to-afghanistan?lite

That's a good point, LC. I wonder if the military brass would rather it said "Made by Mattel Toy Company". If they don't like it they can find another supplier, there are plenty of them.

The officer who spoke to the writer of the article is obviously not the brightest bulb on the tree. Here's what the article said;

"I honestly believe that this is a dangerous situation. It literally could be a matter of life and death for a soldier if he fell into the wrong hands," said an Army officer who spoke to NBC News from Fort Hood, Texas. "The fact that combatant commanders are not following (rules set by Department of Defense) commanders is very disturbing to me."

The purpose of the rifle is to keep the soldier out of the hand of the enemy. The enemy is not a nation, nor a member of the UN and doesn't follow the rules of the Geneva convention. If a soldier is in the hands of the enemy, he/she is in a life & death situation, even if the weapon has "praise Allah" stamped on it.

I definitely wouldn't waste my time trying to remove it. There are more important things to do.

Edited by luther

:rolleye0014: Is this like saying a stupid movie caused a planned muslim attack on our embassy?? I'm sure they hate our flag just as much and have proven it with the Embassy attack..do we not show our colors because the enemy finds it offensive? Are people this stupid and shallow?

I rather think that these scripters are helping keep our soldiers safe from evil... Hey .... but thats just me....

God Bless our military and their families everyday. May God be with you always even with the guns you carry! May the scope on your rifle carry the bullet true and Accurate! :angel3:

AD

Edited by Alaskandraft

that it is maybe a nice gesture for the women and men fighting over there who believe in jesus?

that it helps those who believe have hope?

good on you!!

(i am NOT religious, but i believe in anything that gives our troops hope. why not?)

To stick head and sand and not realize that certain things **DO** illicit violence- and something as "little" to us, could put a sick psychopath on the warpath.

Why not try to keep our soldiers as safe as possible for the *just in cases*.

I'm sure the scripters are as vague to the Jihad as the Kuran is to us. Besides the process of war is not to allow those that are your enemies get your gun :winking: Last I looked it was written in English not Arabic. I don't think we should remove it or BOW down to what they like or don't like... Screw them..

AD

Edited by Alaskandraft

First question: says who it stands for that? Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Second question: so what? What am I not getting here.

I think the answer to your 1st question can only be answered by contacting Trijicon. Or you can speculate by visiting their website. Their home page is linked below. Scroll down until you come to the part about morality. That will give you an idea about the way they feel about things.

http://www.trijicon....any/mission.php

According to the constitution of the U.S. the owners of the company have the right to their religious views. They also have the right to express those views. Not only that, but congress is not allowed to suppress those views. Therefore, the only legal option is to find another supplier.

As for your 2nd question? What you're not getting is your point clearly across to others. Go back & read your 1st question. As it's stated, does it make a lot of sense? Maybe it's just me, but I had to read it several times before I felt that I could give you the answers you asked for.

To stick head and sand and not realize that certain things **DO** illicit violence- and something as "little" to us, could put a sick psychopath on the warpath.

Why not try to keep our soldiers as safe as possible for the *just in cases*.

Blondy, you might want to rephrase your post also. "To stick head and sand and not realize........." doesn't make a lot of sense either.

Do you really want to make our soldiers as safe as possible? That's real easy,,,, don't let them enlist. There is bound to be a better way.

Luther, thanks, I was curious if this was an assumption or if the manufacturer indeed stated as such.

Well I guess one could jump to the conclusion and say that the government has just declared holy war with this weapon, but that's sort of stretching it.

I'm not sure I would agree that our enemies in Afghanistan hate Christianity. I think those that hate America do so based their perceptions of us; which seems to include intolerance, imposition, greed, and materialism. If they simply hated Christianity I would think their target would be much closer, ie the Vatican.

However, imprinting a weapon with a Bible verse chapter and line is pretty hypocritical. Pretty sure the Bible says nothing about gunning down your enemy being a virtue. Don't we spend a lot of time dissing violent Muslim extremists for bastardizing the Koran to suit their evil agenda? Treading pretty deep into the same territory here.

Too much murder in the world being justified by Holy books which have stated nothing of the sort within their pages. Too much of mankind twisting these holy scriptures to suit their agenda of power and control. If there is a God, he can be none too pleased with any of these things.

The Bible is the book of love and peace. This is a sick exploitation of faith. Again. Perhaps someday mankind will evolve past this sort of behavior. Our future existence on this planet may depend on our ability to do so.

tg, i duuno. take a gander at the old testament some time. sex, incest, LOTS of acts of smiting people by the powers that be, just because. i'm reading the bible as we speak--old and new testament and am astonished at the amount of gratuitious violence.

the koran (qu'aran--however you want to spell it) is susceptible to getting "lost in translation" as is the bible. contrary to (some) popular belief, the bible was NOT written in english, nor was the koran. as a translator, i have up close and personal experience with how "wrong" you can get things if you aren't VERY, VERY careful and consult with colleagues of a like mind.

and the recruiting of young people in the islamic world to terrorist activities has EVERYTHING to do with the fact they have no jobs, no perspective, no possibility of grounding a family because they can't finance it, and very little to do with islam. it's a petri dish of seething, frustrated, powerful, young bacteria with NOTHING ELSE TO DO and willing to buy into any solution to their dilemna. they see NO future, and they're angry. perfect audience for a terrorist organization.

people like buddhists, hindus, shintoists march to a different religious drum. (psst--you're accountable for yourself and your actions. :smilie: )

Kind of like the US. The military is one of the few (only?) opportunities for young, poor, disenfranchised men (and women) looking to make a better life for themselves.

Kind of like the US. The military is one of the few (only?) opportunities for young, poor, disenfranchised men (and women) looking to make a better life for themselves.

nah, not really. take a closer look at countries like yemen, libya, syria. not even close.

Blondy, you might want to rephrase your post also. "To stick head and sand and not realize........." doesn't make a lot of sense either.

Do you really want to make our soldiers as safe as possible? That's real easy,,,, don't let them enlist. There is bound to be a better way.

Makes perfect sense to me...if you are sticking head in sand- you are not realizing something. Or a lot. :unsure:

[quote name='tokengirl' timestamp='1349101458' post='4428065'

I'm not sure I would agree that our enemies in Afghanistan hate Christianity. I think those that hate America do so based their perceptions of us; which seems to include intolerance, imposition, greed, and materialism. If they simply hated Christianity I would think their target would be much closer, ie the Vatican.

However, imprinting a weapon with a Bible verse chapter and line is pretty hypocritical. Pretty sure the Bible says nothing about gunning down your enemy being a virtue. Don't we spend a lot of time dissing violent Muslim extremists for bastardizing the Koran to suit their evil agenda? Treading pretty deep into the same territory here.

Too much murder in the world being justified by Holy books which have stated nothing of the sort within their pages. Too much of mankind twisting these holy scriptures to suit their agenda of power and control. If there is a God, he can be none too pleased with any of these things.

The Bible is the book of love and peace. This is a sick exploitation of faith. Again. Perhaps someday mankind will evolve past this sort of behavior. Our future existence on this planet may depend on our ability to do so.

Tg, I hope you don't mind that I deleted the 1st few lines of your quote, but I needed the room so I could see the subjects I want to address in order.

Now that you mentioned it, I'm wondering what would have happened if they had made the 9 - 11 attack on the Vatican rather than on US soil.

What does it matter what is inscribed on a scope mount. If your enemy is close enough to read it,,,,,, you have messed up.The Bible does tell of a man who was told to totally annihilate his enemies, to kill everybody - men, women, children, even the nursing babies. To save time I'll let you read the chapter. Isn't the ending ironic?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Samuel+15&version=NIV

While the Bible is the book of love and peace, it's also one of hate & hostility, egos & attitudes and just about anything else you can imagine. Whether you believe it or not, it is an interesting book to read & I recommend to anyone who likes to read - especially if you plan to debate it.

While the Bible is the book of love and peace, it's also one of hate & hostility, egos & attitudes and just about anything else you can imagine. Whether you believe it or not, it is an interesting book to read & I recommend to anyone who likes to read - especially if you plan to debate it.

while i haven't reached the "love and peace" part YET, i do agree with everything else in these statements.

Good point, Luther!

Muslims are familiar with Jesus' teachings and respect him as a prophet. They don't like our translation of his message, nor do they believe he is the son of God, but they respect Jesus. We tend to forget that Islam is newer than both Judaism and Christianity.