Sign in to follow this  
Ashconverse

How To Identify/how Old Is This Saddle?

I just got a saddle and am trying to figure out it's information?

I think that it is a roping saddle based on how much movement and freedon you have while on it, but I am not sure.

The only thing that is says is "Saddle King Of Texas" on the back behind the cantle. I cannot find an ID number.

I don't know how much it the original saddle, the only things that could be replaced are the stirrups (since the stirrup fenders look so much like the rest of the saddle and have the same wear) and the latigo... I don't have a picture to show, but about 40% of te fleece/wool/lining on the bottom it worn/torn off...

Here are some pictures:

saddle.jpg

saddle4.jpg

saddle1.jpg

saddle2.jpg

saddle3.jpg

saddle5.jpg

I hope you can help me!!

Hmmmmm...

Nice looking saddle, and looks to be well worth reflocking or sheepskin. It also looks like there could have been a lariat keeper on the pommel at one time.

Terrible saddle! Better just give it to me and I'll dispose of it in an appropriate manner.

Just kiddin'! Saddle King of Texas saddles come from a company named Ozark Leather in Waco, Texas. I'll bet your saddle has a rawhide-covered tree. I wish I had it and you had something better. That would be a nice candidate for restoration. New fleece, new Blevins stirrup leather buckles (it appears to have the old-fashioned Al Ray buckles), a good cleaning, perhaps bleaching of the leather, and a good oiling and finish up the asppearance with some Black Rock Leather 'n Rich.

There I go again, as if I didn't already have enough work to do on the approximately 40 saddles I have to work on now, to get them ready for a trip to the auction.

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the saddle?

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the saddle?

I actually got it for free!!

well, they had listed the saddle for $125, however, when I got there and saw the "lining not in the best condition" they actually gave me the saddle!! (they told me that it had been listed for sale for quite a while and just wanted it gone)

It made me very, VERY happy!

these are pictures that I just took of it:

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

I wish I could run into deals like that! You could remove the remaining fleece, along with the sheep hide, and replace it with either new saddle shearling fleece, or use a thin layer of leather that is roughout on both sides and then glue on some polyester artificial fleece or some actual wool on synthetic backing from Weaver Leather. It wholesales for $30.85 a yard. The polyester heavy fleece wholesales for $14.32 a yard. A yard is,I think, 60 inches by 36 inches. Probably enough to do two saddles.

I wish you lived closer. I'd come to look at the saddle and try to cheat you out of it.

Edited by Jack Baumgartner

Hey Jack that looks JUST like the saddle I got from you a while back minus the missing fleece :happy0203: And I have to say I LOVE that saddle it is so comfy !

Edited by Fawnsmom

I have a little stack of old Western Horseman magazines from the late 50's. Ozark Leather Co. ran a lot of ads in those magazines for Saddle King of Texas saddles. They put out a good product.

looks just like saddle king my family has.. save for the fact you have all the decorative tooling. Mine is smooth all the way.. Wish I could find another like it to actually fit my boy.. My saddle king is too small!

Sure is a perdy thing..