PonyGirlAlways

Hay Prices

What's hay going a bale where everyone is located? Ch l I got lucky and found 50 bales for $8 a bale then another 20 bales fiddler$6 a bale. But prices have been pushing$12 depending on where you get it

What weight bales are those? I paid 3.50 for a 50 lb bale last spring, delivered. Before that I paid 6.00 for a 65 lb bale, delivered.

People charge what they can get around here, and you have to shop around. Of course, we didn't have such a drought like other parts of the country, and hay did well this year.

We've been lucky to secure all ours for $4 or less. We have good relationships with our growers. I see it on CL advertised for $7-$8 but it seems like the same folks and I question if that's what they actually get.

Mom did have to pay $6 in northern Indiana for theirs.

That's all standard 2 string smalls, 50-70lbs probably.

I got a good grass hay for $2 a bale. I was lucky though because it's a friends family so they gave me a discount. But generally grass hay is around $3 a bale. Hasn't gone up much. But alfalfa has gone up and is harder to find.

Hay prices here in Michigan are thru the roof . I usually pay $3.50 delivered and stacked 60lb squares and $35 for 4x4 rounds . Prices now are $10 to $12 for 40lb or less squares and $95 for rounds .

I just paid about $8.50/bale for second grass, 2 tie (190/ton), And last month about 11.80/bale 3tie orchard (190/ton), we fill our trailer, 3 ton, when we go get it to make the price work out for fuel going 2 hours one way over a mountain pass. We spend roughly $50 fuel then whatever time in loading and unloading/stacking at home.

I just priced grass hay at the local feed store - $15.90/bale if you get the ton discount. ( if you buy a ton or more at a time the reduce the price a little, that does not include delivery).

So I'm as happy as can be with the price I got :)

Oh! And add a dollar at the feed store for alfalfa bales. I got lucky and a friend who only feeds alfalfa is getting a load delivered and gave me her remaining bales for free, there was only 7 but I really don't feed it but I'll use it to stretch out the hay I have.

I just got 100 bales for 5.50 a bale. They are about 65/70 lb bales. 80% alfalfa. We did an hour drive to pick it uo, but worth paying the gas since those same bales here sell for 9/10 a bale.

Hay prices here in Michigan are thru the roof . I usually pay $3.50 delivered and stacked 60lb squares and $35 for 4x4 rounds . Prices now are $10 to $12 for 40lb or less squares and $95 for rounds .

Where are you at in MI? I'm in MI as well and they are advertised high around here but you can find it or haggle it for less. I have a few connections and if youre still lookingi might be able to find something depending on where you're at.

I'm paying $7 for bermuda bales, up $2.50 from last year. Hurts!

Im in a heavy hay growing area, most all is export hay. Lots of Timothy and alfalfa here. Affordable hay is hard to find due to the export... But you can get kickouts usually at a decent price. Depending on cut and weight it usually ranges from $8-$13. Last year people were selling 75lb alfalfa bales for $18. Ridiculous.

This year my landlord let a couple of our pastures grow out and we cut and baled them. I paid him $5/ bale for 2nd cutting. Which is a dang good deal around here...

Where are you at in MI? I'm in MI as well and they are advertised high around here but you can find it or haggle it for less. I have a few connections and if youre still lookingi might be able to find something depending on where you're at.

I am in the Ann Arbor area . And yep still trying to round up some squares but I just cant pay those high prices . :bang_head:

Heres what I just shelled out over the weekend, had to drive a ways but ;):

40 tons true grass @ 120/ton

50 tons alf/brome @ 90/ton

Now heres what most hay is going for around here:

Alf 240/ton

Alf/gras 220/ton

Orchard 250-285/ton

On the coast you can add another 150 a ton or more on.

I was contacted by a gentleman last week wanted 330 for his rained on tim.

The dealer he contacted after us bought it.

I am in the Ann Arbor area . And yep still trying to round up some squares but I just cant pay those high prices . :bang_head:

If I get a chance to talk to my bf tonight ill ask if he's heard of anyone around, he's in new Boston. I can probably find some alfalfa but it'll be pretty hot, more cow hay like.

Heres what I just shelled out over the weekend, had to drive a ways but ;):

40 tons true grass @ 120/ton

50 tons alf/brome @ 90/ton

Now heres what most hay is going for around here:

Alf 240/ton

Alf/gras 220/ton

Orchard 250-285/ton

On the coast you can add another 150 a ton or more on.

I was contacted by a gentleman last week wanted 330 for his rained on tim.

The dealer he contacted after us bought it.

We usually buy a squeeze at a time....64 bales....for around a thousand dollars. It was slightly more the last time.

This is the price, delivered.

Edited by equicrzy

Well I think I maybe in luck , I am getting 100 bales this Friday at $4.50 a bale delivered . Grass hay 55 lb bales !! :yahoo::yahoo:

I just got 50 bales for 7.50 a bale ... about 50 lbs a piece for coastal. Not bad ... considering ... but I wish I had the prices som of you guys do.

Just bought 10 5x5 timothy/northern grass rounds (800-900lb) for $25 a piece and 30 grass 60lb squares from last year (stored inside) for 2.50/each. I got lucky I think, there seems to be a lot of people shipping their hay south this year and what's left is being snatched up quick

The grass I got was about 70-75lbs a bale at 8 a bale. Then the alfalfa mix was about 85-100 lb bales at 6 a bale but in Wyoming we mainly load, haul and stack our own hay

Jeez smoke, yeah you got lucky! I just locked in grass rounds for 130/ton, delivered.

This hay guy also lives with in a couple miles from me.(dairy farmer) And I was paying 30 per big square. They were not averaging the weight I was told (550), considerably less actually. Feeding 35-40 pounds a day, I was running out in 6 or 7 days... yes I was truly weighing it!

Smokum,

You trully got bargain on hay, but I have seen hay that is 1&2 years old advertised on craigslist. I paid last years prices for hay, but still no bargain. Small squares second crop grass 35-40 lbs were $2.50 a bale, I bought 3 rounds at $40.00 a piece, have 100 first crop that is being held for me at $2.00 a bale. I would like to buy a couple more rounds, but finding quality might be difficult. PD