Sign in to follow this  
whitneyhoku

I Caught...

Caught a raccoon in ourlive trap last night! Something had be tearing the porch apart, eating all the dog/cat food, and just being a holy terror. So, I took my kitty inside so she wouldn't get caught, and set a trap. CMe aound 12:30, Im sitting on the computer, and I hear rattling. Sure enough, the silly boy had wandered into the trap! He seemed pretty comfortable except when my cat came near him. I nicknamed him Rico, and he was released on the other side of town near a woodsy area. Hopefully he won't return.

When I get home I will post the pictures I took. :D

we had a raccoon a few months ago...killed 4 of our laying hens. We thought it was coyotes until one night my BO heard the chickens going nuts walked out and caught the coon literally red handed ripping one of out jersey giants up :bang_head: :bang_head:

He and my girl "Remi" (222 Remington Savage) had a date and well it didnt end well for him..... We tried to catch him in a trap and had several set up but after 2 weeks and 2 more hens gone we decided enough was enough.

This probably won't be a very popular answer.

I'm really sorry about your chickens.

When people decide they're going to move to the, country, woods, mountains or any other rural area and set up their ranches/homes, they tend to forget one thing....they are moving into the homes of all the wildlife that inhabited those areas......FIRST.

To them, YOU are the interlopers...they are just doing what wild things do.....surviving.

WHen we found out it was a raccoon we called local pest removal companies and our vets their first opinions were trap it and kill it not trap it and release it somewhere else to just cause problems for someone else. where we live there isnt any where to release one at that isnt over an hour and a half drive.....so it was either spend 50$ to $75 in fuel to drive him somewhere he couldnt get in trouble or a 3$ bullet and a hole to put him in in our back pasture.........Im sorry if that seems harsh but with how gas prices are here in california I couldnt justify spending nearly 5$ a gallon at 14miles per gallon to go on a 60-70 mile catch and release trip.... :confused0024:

Edited by Norcalracer88

Oh goodness. This was not meant to be turned into a argument. I know full well this was his home. And the food outside is for the outdoor animals. Dog food is in a garbage can with a bungee cord (He still managed to get that apart and our regular trashcan too) And cat food was in one of those twist top pet food holders. Not just bags laying around. I enjoy the wildlife that lets me live with them, and I try not to interfer, till they take things that belong to my animals. He was released on the other side of town (Quite a drive) and Im sure he won't be the last one to torment us. Its all fine with me.

We had a possum get into one of those containers with the twist tops that held cat food. Imagine my surprise when I stuck my arm in to scoop barn cat food out in the morning. And then it chased me out of the barn and around the driveway. :o

Yeah! I didn't personally know what it was till last night. But I'd get up every morning and the cat food would be tossed across the porch. Silly things.

It is, in most states, very illegal to transport wild animals and release them.

You are releasing that raccoon into another territory, introducing a new predator, possible new diseases.

Please be careful.

I personally don't think I would waste my time trying to relocate them.

We are in an area..that it wouldn't matter where you took them..that

some coons of another clan would move in.

Easier to shoot and bury. Sad to say but its true..buggers have been climbing

up on the back of our truck taking the deer apples!

We have never had a problem with coons out here. We have had snakes, rats and possums get in the chicken coop. When caught they are dispatched immediately.

I've had problems with coon for several years, I have a outdoor cat, that I feed in my pole building, so I've trapped many coons over the years, I used to release them several miles from home, now I kill them & bury them. PD

I had a massive coon getting in my trash well he was in the can and I caught him. Hubby sealed the can up and said he'd shoot it tomorrow. Well the next am I felt bad and checked to see if it was still in there. It was so I left the lid open and let it go. I haven't had a coon problem since.

4) Wildlife that is relocated shall be released within the State of Oklahoma, at least 5 miles outside any city limit, but not more than one county distant from the capture site.

Pona, I don't *think* I was breaking any laws. Atleast I hope not. I wasn't trying to do anything wrong, at least.

BTW, that was copied from the Oklhoma Wildlife Department website. D: Im sorry!

Never have had coon problems . Bit I did with crows they would pull the lids off my trash cans and get into my garbage. Tried every trick in the book. Finally moved the trash the shed and latched the door the **** crows still hung aroundthethey then turned thier attention to taking things off of the snowmobiles and atvs tried letting the dogs chases them with no luck. Started shooting them with an air soft gun they then moved to my neighbors yard.