Nikki Livermore

Getting Ready For Winter ...

;) I love Florida. Beach rides....here I come!

LOL, yes Spotted. I have to haul to the next county to ride as horses are no longer allowed on our beaches. I do get blankets/sheets out for those rare times when the temps drop suddenly to the 20's or below. I know, that's warm to alot of you folks.I'am stocking up on hay, as I think it's going to sell for gold come winter. Love this dry air this week. :yahoo:

Gosh, what isn't there to do! We clean the coral out real well before it freezes solid. Don't do blankets ...no need to when you feed them good. Fix fencing and set t-posts before it feezes is a main concern.

AD

Get everything that will freeze out of the barn like fly sprays, medications, etc. Check out my hay nets and repair if necessary. Wash them. Find my tank heater which is stored in the garage. I can't tell if it works until the water tank starts to freeze over. If it doesn't work, it's only about $26 to buy a new one.

Hay has already been put up earlier in the summer, so no worries there. My blankets are stored in a plastic tote, clean. I don't use blankets normally. Do any repairs on the barn, and clean up around the pasture so that hazards won't be buried under snow.

There's not a whole lot to do because, basically, we keep prepared for winter.

1. Replace summer water tubs and stall buckets, with the heated stock tanks and heated stall buckets.

2. Make sure we have enough hay to get four horses thru winter.

3. I am not a blanket person but my two mid-20's fellas are hard keepers and don't need to be burning calories to keep warm. Blankets will come out of the attic and be ready for the cold/damp/blustery days. If the sun is out and the air is quiet, I don't blanket them, regardless of temps. I live in southern Middle Tennessee so our worst Below Freezing days are suntan weather to many folks.

4 I just upped the rice bran on the two Elder Statesmen. While the vet is ok with their weight, they have lost some in the last month and he would like to see them put it back on before winter gets here.

5. Keep the diesel tractors plugged into heaters and a battery tender on a daily basis. The last thing I need is for a tractor not to start :(

I already cleaned all my winter blankets back in August, which was good because we already had our first cold snap so I was glad I had clean blankets ready to go.

Other than that, I'm at a boarding stable so I don't have much else to worry about. I've got the quarter sheets on the ready for warming up in cold arenas and coolers for sweaty hairy ponies after. I'll have to dig out my insulated coveralls for winter chores on Sundays, but that's about it. Up here we're always prepared, we get snow in May some years, we never really need to full out "winterize." :smile:

Put patio furniture away, drag out tank heaters, repair fences. When the snow flies, or is going to fly, pull shoes.

Hay is up already, no need to get blankets out.

I usually clean out the tack shed real good....little critters look for warm cozy places to sleep in the winter and I don't want any surprises when I move stuff around. I do have a waterproof winter blanket handy in a tote in case it decides to rain for 40 days and nights. Other than that I just jump for joy because we won't have to worry about rattlers as much out on the trail. Wahoo, cool weather to ride!!!

Drag out the tank heaters, resituate the water tanks so im not draining 500ft of hose, put up dry lot pens for the horses, make hay stacks into wind blocks, assure that feeding is going to be easy on those blizzard days, also we add the chains to the trailers(have to carry if your over 10000GVW) Check brakes and tires, add a few sacks of cat litter(traction) a container of ice melt and make sure the first aid kits are up to date in all rigs. Add blankets extra cloths and food supplies along with candles( one fat candle can keep you warm in a stalled vehicle for 8 hours ) to all vehicles. Luckilly Im almost done!

Bring stuff that can freeze inside for the winter (fly spray, shampoos/cond, ointments, show sheen, anything liquid) fold up and put fly sheets/masks away, mouse proof totes, set mouse traps, make make sure tank heaters are ready for first use, blankets washed and ready just in case, leather tack cleaned and conditioned, fence repairs if needed, set any posts now before ground freezes, move water tank closer to water spigot, bring goldfish from water tank inside before freezing, scrape up manure before freezing, clean out garages and organize so both vehicles will fit inside, dogs get extra straw in their houses and any holes they've dug filled in. Just a few of the things I do before winter gets here, most are done already.

Take the Summer fans down and clean and bag them. Knock as many spider webs down as possible. Put out heated water buckets and bag up summer buckets. (making sure no teeth can come in contact with wires or outlets!) Restock hay for Winter because of lack of storage space. Put in stock heaters and watch for leaks. I have blankets but don't use them. I'd really miss those weeks of eating flying hair and wearing it like a badge of honor every Spring! :rolleye0014: Put out poison for the mice (away from all domestic critters!). Check fences and all wires and cut any leaning trees that might find a way onto our fences. That's pretty much it! Thank you gaitinalong for reminding me about the tractor....we just bought one this year!

They're calling for possible rain/snow mix next week! Ughh.. I just make sure the tank heater works, but like Wild Rose said, if not.. you can pick one up for a decent price. Make sure I have plenty of hay.. Make sure nothing is wrong with the fence, we tend to get more ice than snow, so thank the Lord we built new fence a couple years ago! Other than that, make sure the little tractor is able to start when it gets really cold.. I have a feeling this winter isn't going to be much fun! :(

Pull the Redneck Insulated Water Tub out of storage and clean it up.

Replace the black hose if broken over the summer.

Lay in plenty of hay, both rounds & squares.

Stock up on plain beet pulp.

Plug in the Bunn coffee maker for hot water.

Stock up on Pine Pellets for stalls.

Turn the manure pile & cover the other side.

Almost forgot something, but remembered in time. I closed the back pasture before deer hunting season, which opens this weekend. That means less grass (which is mostly dead already anyway.)

The horses are on mostly hay now.

Put heaters in stock tanks, add dirt to stalls if they need to be built up, put rubber mats back in, bed deep with shavings. Clean out, wash and wax horse trailer. A big thing for me is to do a total clean sweep on the tackroom, because when it gets cold I know that is the last thing I want to do is be out there in freezing weather cleaning it up. So I take everything out, go through everything, then oil and condition every piece of tack that goes back in. Normally I find unused tack that I can sell and get a little cash for Xmas gifts. Ha! Since I have a larger herd then I did last winter, I'm doing round bales. I also try to make sure the grain is in proper containers, since when the snakes go away for the winter, the mice come out to play!

clean and wax motorhome and horse trailer put in shed.. since i board my 2 horses i do help get things in order,,, all hay is put up,,fences and gates shut on upper pastures,, brought home all my tack and put in spare bed room all heated tanks are up and ready for use,,shoes come off in end of Nov.i dont blanket but have them on hand just in case....i do have a uneasy feeling.... we are going to have a doosey of a winter.....