Sign in to follow this  
Flying Stars

Fall & Winter Grooming

What do you all do with yours?

Tail bags?

Blanket? (

Any advice and tips on how to keep your horse looking clean.

Cremello and White horses are hard to keep clean!

Any tips to share?

New pics of my horses coming tonight when my hubby gets home!

when it starts getting cold we like to clip the neck and chest area from under the chin to where the cinch sits kind of like i think you would call it a half trace clip? We do that on our main lesson horses when its not full on winter or rainy yet so we dont totally need to blanket yet. On my personal horse I fully clip his torso and leave his legs wooly kind of like leg warmers :smilie: I compete during the winter so I dont want to worry about him getting a cold in between events when he gets sweaty.

If he gets really dirty I'll get a bucket full of hot water(not scalding but hot enough I know it wont go cold fast) and a rag and pretty much spot clean. I will wash his mane once or twice though since he has white in it and it turns yellow if I dont wash it. As for his tail I'll wash it once then bag it to keep it from getting muddy since it grows like a weed and I dont want it dragging.

Hope that helps any :smileywavey: :smileywavey:

Do you have a barn with stalls?

Is there a dry turnout area?

Do you only have a field/pasture?

What condition are your barriers/walls/fencing made of?

These factors will be important in deciding how you "winterize" your horses.

Personally:

I would not tailbag a horse unless it were protected from weather/mud inside a stall, had dry turnout and no nails/screws/insulators to catch tailbag fabric.

I would not blanket a horse unless I used the correct blanket for the need and general surroundings with no nails/screws/insulators to catch blanket fabric.

In general, I've only blanketed my horses during extreme weather. I want them to grow a heavy winter coat and use it. On cold/wet/windy days I blanket w/ the water/wind-proof turnout blanket. On cold/dry/windy days I blanket w/ the stable blanket. When the weather is just cold, w/ no wind and the sun out, I may blanket only at night and have the horse use its' own coat during the warmer daytime temperatures.

Mud, dirt and stains? They happen to animals housed outdoors and I just use elbow grease to knock the worst of it off and keep the horse comfortable.

I usually use a tail sock in the winter, I was thinking of putting Smokeys tail up tomorrow, the baby's tail is far too short yet to do anything with right now. I will blanket if it freezing rains out or temps are lower than -20*, otherwise I want them to grow the fuzzies, and I'll do some trimming around the face so my horses look like horses and not yaks :crazy: I totally understand hating burrs, and a tail sock definitely does the trick keeping them out of the tail, although keeping them off the rest of the body is a different story.

When I was riding/competing all winter I would blanket (and sometimes double blanket) to keep them from growing too much coat. It's much much easier to cool/dry a horse with a thinner coat after a workout than one with full on winter woollies. There were times I actually used a blow dryer along with the cooler to speed things up.

I also had a bucket heater I'd use to spot bathe and wash tail/mane and any other need for hot water, and use cowboy magic.

Re: burrs

Our 8 acres in WA state had burrs. It only took me *twice* ... combing, brushing, pulling them out of my gelding's forelock, mane and tail ... before I was out there with LOPPERS and cutting the darn things DOWN to gleefully burn in a pile. If you remove the burr-bushes ... no burrs in the horse's hair! ... or little stickers in my fingers, too.

Except for Gunner. Molly and Princess can come in and go out as they please.

Heidi, I think Molly cleared a whole bush for herself in her tail. It took me an hour

of patience and finger combing,to get them blasted things out!

I don't blanket at all, they seem to grow some really nice, thick winter coats here.

Right now? The muddy/rainy days..I keep them in..lol

I have gotten into the habit of grooming 2 times a day. Making sure none of the hairs

are laying flat on their body.

Going to have to pick up another set of brushes I think. About cleaning brushes..I always

shake mine out..till the dust no longer flies out of them. But still some dirt remains.

I rinse them out with plain water when that happens.

I use pine shavings as bedding too.

My horse Tanner is outside all winter with a run in to get out of the rain or snow. She gets a really thick coat so I don't have to blanket her. She was at a barn that had a LOT of burrs. Thank goodness for baby oil, just put in the her tail, mare and forelock and the burrs came out with little work. She would look like a unicorn with all the burrs. Don't have to do that any more.

Edited by my dream

I have two pinto ponies with LOTS of white, keeping them clean is a full time job.

I clipped Oliver and it was the best decision I could have made. Both of those guys grow such thick wooly coats so early that it's ridiculous. I clipped him at the beginning of September when it was still warm out. He got a full clip minus his face and legs because I don't know how to do those, but I did a decent "fade" so he didn't totally look like a poodle. I left him a little saddle patch as well. It's already growing back, but it's not super thick like his coat was. I don't have time to sit and blow dry him after our rides inside in the winter when he's drenched so I have no other option but it clip.

I left Peanut for now. She's used for riding lessons, but the kids are just doing walk/trot so I'm not worried about her working up a sweat. She gets dirty like crazy because she's part pig and loves to roll in the mud. When she gets really muddy in the winter I'll give her a warm bath on a nice day and leave her inside until she dries off. She's older so I just make sure she has enough weight on her and build her a deep straw bed in her paddock and she's fine. She'll get blanketed when it drops down to the -40s, but otherwise I just make sure she's not shivering or dropping weight.

I've never bothered with tail bags, seems like too much of a hassle. Both my ponies have tails that touch the ground, but they never seem to get too bad. Sometimes they'll get muddy and I'll stick them in a bucket of warm water to clean them off, but that's it. I can't imagine how high Oliver would jump the first time he whacked himself with a tail bag...and I wouldn't want to be on him when it happens! :twitch:

Burrs? Don't even talk to me about burrs! I had Peanut at this ranch years ago and she got into a burr patch one night...

2582_78939572673_3552612_n.jpg

2582_78939592673_3797023_n.jpg

2582_78939577673_1035419_n.jpg

:surrender::bang_head:

Taglet, I can't help but laugh my butt off! Been there done that I can assure you, I didn't take pictures though, my guy looked about the same LOL he was a burdock unicorn and after all the burrs were gone he had a fro, it was bad! Then one time my mom found Smokey to have burrs in his forelock and took it upon herself to rid him of them... by cutting them out! Lets just say I almost cried.

Taglet- How LONG did it take you to get them out? I probably would've gone at her with a pair of scissors!!!

I don't ride much in winter 3-4. 15-60 minute rides its just to chilly so I leave mine woolly my horses are pretty tough but they have a three sided shelter and get extra hay when it is cold and light weight turn out blankets( I have a fear of blanking to heavy and having them sweat and get chilled) when it is bitter the type that are waterproof and lightly fleece lined. I let them get a I just keep up on the muddyness and do sometimes braid tails to . But it can be obsolete to try to have a perfectly groomed horse in Wy

Taglet- How LONG did it take you to get them out? I probably would've gone at her with a pair of scissors!!!

Oh believe me, there was a few moments where I looked at my clippers and then back at her and then told my friend "I'm just gonna do, I'll just roach her." Butttttt, I didn't. I slowly picked at them every day. Everyone had a different idea, but I think I mostly just used Show Sheen. I remember someone had suggested WD40, but I didn't know I felt spraying that on my horse. I use her for riding lessons so I made it a chore that week that every student had to spend at least 10-15 minutes picking at her mane. We did manage to get everything out over the course of a week or so. We had a cold snap and that seemed to make them loose their "stickyness" (that or all the crap we sprayed on her) so that helped.

2728_83085632673_6014618_n.jpg

After!

Her tail was a giant mess too and I think I did end up cutting a bunch of that. It grows fast, I trim it all the time and it always grows down to the ground in no time. Never. Again. :bang_head:

Burrs? Don't even talk to me about burrs! I had Peanut at this ranch years ago and she got into a burr patch one night...

2582_78939572673_3552612_n.jpg

2582_78939592673_3797023_n.jpg

2582_78939577673_1035419_n.jpg

:surrender::bang_head:

:shocked::thud:

Taglet, wow! That poor horse must have been in that burr patch for some time! Must have been good eating below the burrs!

My pasture has burrs, but not overly so. I pick the few out that the horses get, and it's good. Glad I don't have more burr plants than I do.