Sign in to follow this  
QueenBAW

How Much Do You Show?

Just basically would love to see how often you guys show, and a few other questions.

How old were you when you started riding?

How old were you when you started showing?

How old are you now? (If you dont mind me asking)

What kind of riding/shows do you compete in?

Just basically would love to see how often you guys show, and a few other questions.

Have been going to an average of about 8 shows a year (April - September) for the past 5 years, when I was only showing at the Breed shows is was only about 5 or 6 a year.

How old were you when you started riding? 16

How old were you when you started showing? 23

How old are you now? (If you dont mind me asking) 50+

What kind of riding/shows do you compete in? Open & Breed (Saddlebred) shows

LauraS - Thanks! Great info. How often do you ride between shows? Ive always thought saddlebred shows were really neat. I could watch them for hours ;-)

Just basically would love to see how often you guys show, and a few other questions. We don't show but go to shows usually 4-5 times a year and cheer on our friends. I've debated on taking a horse a time or two, but since we wouldn't be competitive and I like running the video camera, I'm content to sit on the sidelines.

How old were you when you started riding? I started riding when I was 2. Got my first horse when I was 5. Started riding independent when I was 7

How old were you when you started showing? N/A

How old are you now? (If you dont mind me asking) 36

What kind of riding/shows do you compete in? We trail ride and camp pretty exclusively. Have participated in some poker rides, parades, an extreme cowboy challenge and hoping to start team penning this winter

Glad my info was helpful. Yes, the Saddlebred shows are fun and usually spent alot of time just sitting in the stands watching the classes. Usually starting three months before the first show my horse gets worked 5 days a week, not always under saddle, sometimes just in long lines and other times jogged (not as in a Western slow pokey jog but animated and up in the bridle) a couple of miles in harness. My horse always gets the day before I head to a show and 2 days after a show off to rest & relax and have some pasture time. After show season ends I usually just ride for fun 3 days a week and when weather permits I like to get out of the arena and trail ride.

Edited by LauraS

Fun post:

How old were you when you started riding? 6, parents made me buy my first horse when I was 9. He was crazy as a hatter, but we didn't know any better.

How old were you when you started showing? Showed him when I was 11 in barrels and playdays in local shows.

How old are you now? (If you dont mind me asking)63

What kind of riding/shows do you compete in? Haven't competed in shows since the 80's. Local all over FL and AQHA.Just trail ride now. Ride at least 4 days a week. More for my benefit now than the horses. :smilie:

Now days competative trail riding. I'm hitting about 1-2 a month. The first 15 years were barrel / speed events and we competed from a couple times a week to a couple times a month at multiple levels. The 3-5 years between were reining/working cow horse and I was competing a few times a month.

Depending on the show schedule sometimes I would ride every day. Right now I'm riding once or twice a week.

Just basically would love to see how often you guys show, and a few other questions. -- When I have unlimited access to a truck and trailer I do 7-8 shows a year. Lately I have had major trouble finding a way to haul so this year I only did one.

How old were you when you started riding? -- 8

How old were you when you started showing? -- 13

How old are you now? (If you dont mind me asking) -- 21

What kind of riding/shows do you compete in? -- Combined Tests, Horse Trials

How old were you when you started riding? I didn't start riding seriously until around 18 when I went to college.

How old were you when you started showing? 19

How old are you now? (If you dont mind me asking) 26

What kind of riding/shows do you compete in? I have showed in only once and it was a showmanship class. I also rode in an outdoor musical for 4 years. My next goal is to learn how to rope. :smilie:

I don't show anymore (at least not at the moment), but I started out showing my QH in open and 4-H shows in halter, showmanship, and western pleasure. Then when we bought our Paints I moved into APHA shows showing the same things, plus hunter under saddle and equitation classes. After about 3 years of that I got tired of the slow pace and decided to try barrels. So my parents bought me a Paint barrel horse and he basically taught me everything I know about barrel racing. Sadly, we had to sell him back in 2009, and the rest of our horses last year when we moved here to WA from FL. My sister and I found a barn that lets us ride their trail horses in exchange for cleaning their barn, so at least we're still able to ride. And hopefully one day in the future we'll have our own horses and be able to show again. [:

Up until 2 years ago I went to one or two shows a month during the show season. I only went to 2 this year because I had acquired a new horse and they were her first two shows. Then I sold her, so no more shows this year =(.

I started riding when I was 8.

I started showing when I was 10.

Now I am 19.

I compete in whatever the horse is good at XD. My most recent mare had never been to a show so I took her to a speed show first (even though I was training her to be a jumper) because I figured if she was going to act screwy I would rather her do it in a class that was against the clock then one that was judged. My favored discipline is Jumpers though =)

How old were you when you started riding? 8

How old were you when you started showing? 11

How old are you now? (If you dont mind me asking) lalalalalala

open/fun, and speed, pleasure, and halter