lorio92

Makeup And Horses

Showing and Makeup  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a makeup artist to do your makeup if one was available to you at the horse show?

• Yes!
    • Yes, but only if they were cheap enough
    • No thanks, I will do my own!

I also posted this under saddleseat, but then thought it might fit better here!

Hello all, I'm new here and had a question I would like to ask all of you! Here's a little background, I am a makeup artist, with a major passion for horses. I've ridden all my life and worked at an American Saddlebred farm here and Georgia when I was 15 up until about a year ago. I am wanting to branch out and do "equestrian makeup" which really just means that I will go to horse shows, set up a "makeup" booth and apply makeup for people before their classes begin. I tried doing a little research on it, and saw very little on whether or not this would be a good business to do. My main questions is, what are your thoughts? Those of you who "live and breathe" showing let me know if this is a service that you believe would be beneficial to the showground. Would this be a service you would be interested in? Show much would you pay for this service? Any other helpful tid bits as well!! I am just wanting to see what others think of this, before I go out and do it to see what the general population at the showground may like or dislike about this! Thanks for any opinions, helpful hints, etc!!

Edited by lorio92

I would always do my own makeup. Only I can get the look I want.

Edited by N4L

when I was showing on the Arab circuit...makeup wasn't an option for my barn. you had to wear it, whether you liked it or not! I repeatedly was told "oh, your lipstick isn't visible enough" or "oh, you need more blush" ugh it was so obnoxious. I NEVER wore makeup around horses before that!! lol

I think at the breed shows there might be a little niche market, if you had enough of that around and were able to travel to the big ones (Nationals, Congress, Worlds, etc)

Prices to charge would depend on if you were supply the makeup or if you were using the person's makeup, I suppose. It wouldn't hurt to throw the option out there and see what happens!

i don't show but have friends who do, and they tell me they are so BORED between classes that they love to see something new and different. give it a shot, but i'd go with something blingy and NOT something like the team penning crowd LOL.

True. Most of us who like to chase cows don't get real big on the makeup. :happy0203:

I agree with Serah Rose. I think you'd have a better shot going to breed shows or championship shows. Me personally, I don't think I'd have someone else do my makeup because like CoolRabbit said, showing horses is expensive as it is. Maybe if you brought along a portfolio and had reasonable prices I would consider it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Its nice to see someone with ambition and the desire to do something they love. [:

Thanks so much for all the feedback!! It seems as though it would possibly be a demand at certain shows. i believe I will try out a few Saddlebred and Arab shows, because there seems to be like there might be the most want/need for makeup it in that area. I look forward to blending both my passions into one! I am always open to feedback on this subject! It's been helpful!! I believe the hardest part will be deciding a happy medium between pricing. I like the idea of giving people the option of using their own makeup as well. I don't want to be overly priced because showing and horses is one of the most expensive hobbies! I plan to continue researching and asking around some of the barns in my area for any tips or if it would be something they believe would take off in their particular area of showing. Thanks again guys!!

Edited by lorio92

while showing/owning horses is an expensive hobby, there are still plenty of people out there WITH the money who are willing to spend it! lol. Don't be afraid to get in on the receiving end of some of that spending action :)

Not me. I don't wear much makeup, and agree that shows are expensive enough already.

I'm also not bored at shows, as there are always stalls to clean, horses to warm up , feed, wash, groom, etc

If I do have spare time at shows, then I;m busy filling in where needed-doing the gate, annoucing for awhile, etc.

Arabian shows might be agood place to start, as you can also do the eyes of the horses, makeup wise.

Gosh, if I remember to brush my teeth in the morning you're lucky. Make up just isn't a priority when I'm mucking stalls, cleaning buckets, braiding, scrubbing horses, running around finding classes, etc etc.

I guess for breed shows or gaited shows where that sort of thing is more prominent. I know dressage riders wear make up and I know people in the hunter/jumper world (my crowd) do to, but I couldn't be bothered. I always wished I had time to do it, I look like a 12 year old without make up so a lot of my show pictures don't even look like me. :indifferent: