Sign in to follow this  
psmitty

Tacks On Your Saddle?

George Morris demonstrating the use and placement of tacks on rider saddle to reinforce proper position. Made me think of the trainer torture thread

Agree. I was surprised to see this but then again he is old school. He caused the death of a horse due to poling with a metal pole. Impaled the horse or something like that. I think that was about ten years ago.

I'd be afraid of the tacks scratching my saddle, or the tape ruining my saddle.

Thankfully I have the opposite issue, and need to learn how to SIT, and not just half seat around the course, or as a clinician referred to it last month "the human lunge line".

Agree. I was surprised to see this but then again he is old school. He caused the death of a horse due to poling with a metal pole. Impaled the horse or something like that. I think that was about ten years ago.

Just so the record is straight -- that tragic accident was NOT related to poling, it was the use of a "ting" rail (a metal rail that produces a certain sound and feel when hit). The ting rail is set just like a normal rail in the cups; only has an effect if the horse hits the rail...in this particular incident, the horse hit the rail with enough force to flip it out of the cups and into it's own path, then proceeded to land on it. Tragic accident for all involved, but has also occurred with regular wooden or PVC rails as well...or most recently notably, the jump flag off a cross-country jump impaling into the groin of Will Coleman's horse.

Greg Best does this too.

It's VERY rare for a rider to actually sit DOWN on the tacks. You catch your breeches on them and feel it pull very slightly. And many people instantly correct the position just by fear of tacks.

HOWEVER- when I've seen and had this done the tacks were placed all the way on the highest point of the cantle, right in the middle. NOT under your cheek.

I read what's in Frank Chapot's book about poling. When done correctly it's better than MANY of the things people do as an alternative.

Edited by Little.Wing