Horse Quirks

Anyone else have a horse with an aversion to rain? I have a 1 1/2 year old Tb colt that is still bone dry after 4 days of mostly rain. All the other (14) horses are wet, but can go in their shelter area at will. They all come out when I feed, race around and try to get me muddy, except the colt. He stands just inside the drip line and has a look like "do you have an umbrella"? During sun breaks, he will come out and run around, but as soon as the rains begin again, he shelters up.

My mare doesn't mind rain. Her quirk is that she is like a dog.

She IS respectful and NOT in your pocket, not in the least. She respects my bubble. But she does nudge me when I open a pack of breathmints. She loves those Icebreakers.

My 15 year old stallion will NOT get wet if he can help it. He has a stall attached paddock and runs for the door at the first drop of rain. Funny thing is, he doesn't mind a bath at all.

How about a 20 month old who can't leave pipe gates or panels alone? My roundpen panels WERE all staked down, wired to t-posts. The bugger continually stuck his head through and pushed and heaved til he folded them up and pulled posts out. DAILY! When I gave up putting them back together, he attacked one of the main gates til he broke the big treated post off at the concrete level. Finally sold that monster. He really wasn't that big, half Arab/TB.

My mare does this... ALL the time! She just sits there with her going out even when I'm riding...

BCC2D093-BD1E-49E5-A3EB-D1020F7904FC-1650-00000189EB925907.jpg

Edited by Amazona

My Paso Fino filly Querida *hated* the rain. I watched her one day out in the paddock as it was beginning to rain; she shivered her skin, shook her mane, shivered her skin again, lifted her head from the grass, pinned her ears, shivered her skin, looked around, raised her head and kicked out her back feet, shivered her skin, looked around some more and then started trying to BITE the raindrops! LOL

She finally got mad and stomped into the rin-in stall; wringing her tail, ears pinned and just generally looking ticked off. Then she'd turn around to stare at the rain and pout until it was over.

My gelding HATES rain! He has a run in and is in his stall at the first drop! He's not a huge fan of baths but he will drink from the hose......explain that one! He also won't roll in soupy mud. He will go out to his pasture and roll in the harder mud spots in the grass....he's a special boy! But he stays clean and is a gorgeous dark bay!

My horse would come in from a muddy pasture with out a speck of dirt on his white legs! Everything else in the pasture would be mud to their knees and his legs would be sparkling white! He also would not step into a puddle or any water.

Pepper liked to explore. He would turn down any new path or road that we came across. He didn't fight if I told him to go another direction, but left to his own devices, he would take the new path every time :)

We also had deal about worming. He could flip his head twice, but then he had to let me do it. He never tried to get away with more, but good luck worming him before he got his two heat flips in.

The pony, Jedi, does not like mud. In the spring he will go around any really muddy spot, if he can. If he has to go through it, he will walk back and forth next to the mud, then charge across at a dead run, mud splattering all over! ...so much for trying to stay mud free! :rotf:

Wild Rose, don't you know there are HOOF EATERS hiding in that mud? GOTTA go fast so they don't get ya!

I think that's the case, Oz! He sure is funny doing it, too. He has 3 white feet and it looks like he doesn't want to get his white sneakers dirty before he charges through! Goof ball.

My mare Fancy will sometimes stand out of the barn in the rain, but mostly stands inside. I cannot ride her in the rain though, she throws a huge fit throws her head and prances around and if you dare walk her near a tree she will park you under it and wont come out until it gets done raining. She also will not cross a mud puddle if at all possible, shell take your around them or jump over them first. She also HATES getting a bath but she LOVES rolling around in the pond.

My mare cross ties/ties just fine. When I'm around grooming/saddling her she never poops in the cross ties. If I have to leave to go get something from my trailer or run to the house quick or something, she gets nervous and poops. Doesn't matter if someone else is still in the barn...if I'm gone for more than 30 seconds, there WILL be poop for me to shovel when I get back.

Piper doesn't mind the rain...

The "Quirk" I do not understand of her, is that she pees EVERYTIME she see's me. Every freakin time. And, unlike the other horses at the barn, she prefers to pee IN her stall instead of going out into the run.

Her stall is a MUDDY mess.

My old pony has a lower lip twitch he is constantly twitching his lower lip if you make him mad he flaps it. He also has to goose you when you pick up his front feet. My other gelding loves water constantly playing in it. And he is a pest he has to pick on the other horses makes them mad and chase him they goes back to pestering them.

My Haflinger gelding will stand outside his shed in the rain, snow, freezing rain, and sleet. I just better not let the rinse water get to cold when bathing him. :confused0024:

My TB loved the rain, and rolling in the mud. He loved getting dirty! He also loved to let himself out of his stall, and would also let his best friend Smokey out as well. He would jump over anything, too. Even a car.