Sign in to follow this  
chino is neato007

Non-Toy Gifts For Kids

As I prepare to shop for my own child and my niece and nephew, I want to buy good stuff that really isn't just a toy.

So far, I have a couple of cool clear birdfeeders that stick right to a window. It was a toss up between bird feeders or birdhouses that are solid wood on 3 sides, with the back being clear. The birdhouse sticks to a window so you can see into the house and see nests and eggs and stuff.

I decided the feeder vs the house because there is probably too much commotion for any sane bird to feel comfortable building her nest there LOL

Any other ideas for gifts for children under age 6 that aren't cheapo toys?

How about tickets to a nearby Zoo, museum, aquarium, pool/(indoor)waterpark or other nearby kid friendly attractions? As a parent I LOVE that we then have something to go do and not another thing sitting around.

How about tickets to a nearby Zoo, museum, aquarium, pool/(indoor)waterpark or other nearby kid friendly attractions? As a parent I LOVE that we then have something to go do and not another thing sitting around.

Love it. That's an awesome idea!

Those birdhouses/feeders sound great for my mom too. Any simple crafts work to keep them buzy on those rainy days of winter. Lots of sequins for the girls, assemble and paint yourself, birdhouses, tee shirts, Or cool classic story books they read again and again, or you read until they can.

Craft type kits, coloring book & markers, play dough, sticker books, kids music cd.

There are alot of things available out there you just have to use your own imagination.

Any ideas like this for toddlers? The only do-able thing is the zoo,but we still live about an hour away from it.

What age, maybe 2? Sometimes there are indoor playgrounds, play/kid/science museums, trampoline/jump house type of places (in Wisconsin one was called Monkey Joes), or an indoor water park that has a zero depth area. Most places like that allow a parent to go on the slides and such with their toddler.

I would say books. What ages are the kids? I know you said no toys but what about wooden toys? My stepfather makes wooden cars, trucks, trains, cradles, puzzles, etc. Might be a good option to look for.

A great magazine for kids is Ranger Rick and Ranger Rick Jr. I think it used to be called My Big Backyard. My nephew and niece loved going to the mailbox and finding mail just for them.

He is 16mo but is playing with toys for ages 2 and up mostly. Smart little thing! I'll have to see if they have any bouncy things nearby,no indoor pools sadly.

I was looking at a butterfly house, net thing. My boss recommended it to me. You would beed to wait for warmer weather to actually do though. He hatch butterflies and watch them and then let them go. You can buy the butterflies separate.

I am in the same situation with my 3 y/o. Don't want anymore toys laying around. Games are good. We have Candyland and he LOVES it. Also 25-30 piece puzzles he can do himself are great. He also likes memory and will be getting Hi Ho Cheerio for Christmas.

For those old enough to start understanding the concept, crafts that will be usable in the future. My grandmother taught us all to sew, crochet, bake etc. She would buy us fun projects and teach us how to do them. Animal pillows to sew and stuff, potholders to crotchet and give away etc.

For those old enough to start understanding the concept, crafts that will be usable in the future. My grandmother taught us all to sew, crochet, bake etc. She would buy us fun projects and teach us how to do them. Animal pillows to sew and stuff, potholders to crotchet and give away etc.

My grandma taught me and all my cousins, even the boys, how to sew. Handstitch AND with her awesome old school sewing machine. Every summer my grandparents would have grandkids at the farm for atleast one week, sometimes our weeks would overlap and we'd have a few days with a cousin or two before our parents picked us up. I remember that used to be SO much fun. I loved helping my grandpa with the cows in the morning and sitting down with my grandma in the afternoon. She taught home-ec back in the day, where kids learned how to cook and sew and repair things, so it was very important to her to pass these skills onto her grandchildren especially now that there is no such thing in schools these days.

My nephew is still pretty little, but maybe I'll gift my niece a couple sewing lessons and she can stitch a few dishtowels. She'd probably love that!

I see lots of great ideas here.

My kids are grown, but I loved reading to them, and they all learned to read before kindergarden.

Workbooks--the kind where they do math, reading, etc., some come with stickers, etc.....are GREAT.

Thomas the Tank dvds, learning dvds, also great. I was one to sit and watch them with my kids. The songs still abound in my head. :)

Trips to the local heritage center (free), were a hit, as was story time at the library--also free.

Buy plain white t-shirts and tye dye with your children. This is a gift they can wear and will wear proudly, because they 'helped' make their own shirt. :) Can do long and/or short sleeve.

The kids can also make shirts for relatives--buy plain t's and let the kids make their handprints on them.

Cookbooks--you can get children's cookbooks and make meals and snacks together with 'their' cookbook. :)

I so loved raising my kids and really miss those days!

Polar Fleece blankets and pillow covers are easy, you can make kits that the kids finish by tying the knots that hold the blanket or pillow sections together. Wally-world and other quilting places have a template that has narrow openings that you set the rotary cutter in to make fast & easy fringe. How to make : http://tipnut.com/fleece-blankets/

Our local dollar store and places like Micheal's or Craft stores have beginner easy needle point kits with the pattern painted in color on the mesh and plastic needles or blunt metal ones in bright kid patterns, I switch out the fluffy yarn with matching cotton thread for younger kids. It doesn't knot or tangle as easily...http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8& keywords=needlepoint+kits+for+kids&tag=googhydr-20&index=toys-and-games&hvadid=6746269221&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10901382651336444434&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_5eynraldyw_b

Places like Barnes & Nobles have origami and other fun kits