Sign in to follow this  
RidingOnADream

How To Train Your Horse To Lie Down

Hello All!

Again, it's been some time since I've popped up here and with the prospect of possibly getting my horse back, I might be stopping in more than once every 6 months.

Totally random...has anyone ever taught their horse how to lie down? Or do you know of a good website of some trainer where I can buy a training video on it?

Let me know how you've done it, if you have and how successful you've been!

Thanks! :happy0203:

Try one of the western boards. Clinton Anderson and Parelli teach this. Most of the hunter/jumper folk don't.

I need my horses to think for themselves, so I don't teach this for that reason.

well kind of. I have taught my horse to bow with one knee on the ground and the other leg stretched out. That was part one of getting him to lay down.

I want to get to that point, but at this point the only way I see getting to the lay down stage is kind of forcing/pulling him over. And...I don't really want to do that!

I think my next approach will be in the summer when he is wet and seeing if I can get him to lay down by wanting to roll in the dirt. A friend taught a horse to do it this way and it worked.