Wild Rose

Having Confidence Problems, Topic 2

Yes, Rosie is what you'd call green broke, I guess. She has never bucked or reared with a rider, but she needs miles and miles. And I found out the spring following my bail off, that Rosie needed chiro work, so that might have been part of the problem back then. Jedi is broke to ride, of course, or I would never have my grand daughter on him. I really don't know HOW well trained he is though, since I haven't ridden him a lot. His previous owner had her daughter on him when I went out to see him, and he did fine.

I'm glad those two falls didn't stop you from riding. I think with me, age has a lot to do with it. Overly cautiousness has turned into fear. I am overly cautious with a lot of things these days.

Yes, if I do get that instructor back, I will certainly make sure I'm not feeling pushed too fast.

I'm older than you, WR, but I don't have people depending on me. So, I can understand your caution. But I tell Jubal all the time if he hurts me, he's gonna get awfully hungry. LOL

I just looked at the meanings for the smiley faces. The one I thought meant working hard and sweating, really means "drool." :rotf:

I had chance to riding with the neighbors today, but I have to work this PM. Part of me doesn't care, as my gelding can be a pain in a group of 3-4 or more horses, That comes from my not getting out enough, I don't enjoy fighting with him on a ride, & if I'm going to ride I want to enjoy my ride, by having as much control of the situation as I can. My TWH mare is better in a group, but is buddy sour, she will leave the property, with some encouragement, then she is okay, plus the saddle that works on her, is not very comfortable. But I just prefer my gelding if I'm going to ride, as we have more of a bond together. But I'm not driven to ride like I once was, if I spent riding that I spend on here, I would be putting some miles on. But I can't drink my morning coffee , with leisure on the back of a horse. For me life, has become alot about comfort & leisure, & keeping my stress level as low as possible.

I share this with you, as we all have excuses & reasons for doing what we do, & is often impacted by many of our life's changes. I won't quit riding, but my riding has definitely changed, & as much as I think I would like to turn it around, in reality I don't, or I would!! Done know if any of this relates to confidence & last 3-4 posts, I don't know, but what was on my mind this AM. PD

PS. Jubal, Please stick around, I enjoy your wisdom.

I'd share Gwen with y'all if I could. You could drink coffee while sitting on her. She wouldn't care if you took your whole breakfast (she might expect a share though lol).

Got our hoof boots in. Have to get Tilly a smaller size. Going to try a smaller size on Gwen, if they don't fit we will add pads to the 7's she has now. We did take her out on the gravel to try them. Before she couldn't walk on the gravel or asphalt without being in pain. With the boots she was trotting down the drive today. That means I can start riding!!

Hello everyone~just checking in! Noooo I haven't been riding lately Lol! John and I have gotten the round pen extended to the edge of the property line which makes it 60x90 and put my super big tractor trailer tire in the center. It took three loads of sand to raise the level, fill in where we extended it, and filled the tire up. I'm still trying to get the mural across the street painted (it has been extended and is now12' long, 8' high) and weather has not been cooperating. We have had three people come and look at repairing the roof on the outbuilding. NONE has given us a quote, so John called our insurance company to see if they had a list of contractors. They came out and took pictures, had another person familiar with barn construction give us a quote to pull the stall mats, pressure wash them, re-level the stalls and fill dips and tamp it down, and re-install the mats. The quote gave me sticker shock, but John reminded me it was 8 years ago we had the mats put down. I just wish I was a lil' younger and could do it myself. I could still get it done....it would take me a wee bit longer than two days though! :rotf: I have some tree trimming to do myself, PD. It's on my to do list after getting the storage building and barn taken care of and bleaching and cleaning the fence I painted two Summers ago. The green mold is attacking it because of all the rain we received this year. I'm still trying to chase down round bales to get through the Winter. I'm about flush with square bales though!

Just a thought WR, I'm thinking about having a trainer come to my barn to get the horses backed again after having almost a year off. I figure a ride or two on each of the Rocky's will get them back to work and I'll be back in the saddle. Have you thought of sending your mare to a trainer, or having one come to your place? Just a thought. I have been far too busy to ride, but I wouldn't give it up for the world! G'nite :smileywavey:

PD, I'd like a horse I could drink my morning coffee on, too. I don't want battles anymore, either.

WildRose, Only problem with those horses that you can enjoy coffee on, is training my wife, to come refill my cup, when it gets empty, you see coffee to me is like lays potato chips, one is never enough!! One thing just leads to another, like most men I would need a doughnut also!

Graywolf, You & John have been busy as usual, I hope you find a trainer to put some rides on those Rockies, so you can get back in the saddle again. I wish you luck with that finishing that mural, & the weather cooperates for you, my talent for painting & for music, both are just enoyment appreciation, for other peoples talent.

Sayge, Glad you have both girls more comfortable now on hard surfaces, with a new pair of boots. That's great.

Eskie, Liked your pictures, glad you & Piper are getting out & about, she has proven to be a good horse for you. PD

Gray, my goodness, you guys are busy! We are late getting stuff squared away before winter, but we'll get it done. If not, things will last another winter, I'm sure.

PD, good luck getting your wife to refill your cup while you are riding! LOL

Its raining here today, and is supposed to rain all day. Possible snow this weekend, but more towards the arrowhead of MN. I really don't think we'll get any. It's not supposed to stick on the ground, anyway.

Gray, my goodness, you guys are busy! We are late getting stuff squared away before winter, but we'll get it done. If not, things will last another winter, I'm sure.

Its raining here today, and is supposed to rain all day. Possible snow this weekend, but more towards the arrowhead of MN. I really don't think we'll get any. It's not supposed to stick on the ground, anyway.

WildRose, I thought I might get her to run along the side, carrying the coffee pot!! That isn't to much to ask is it?!? LOL

Since you mentioned the weather, have you had a killing frost yet? It rained on & off here most of the day, so we went to town to run some errands, & a couple things accomplished outside also. Felt old today, my oldest daughter turned 38, & my oldest grandaughter turned 11. Been wondering how those years passed so fast. PD

I know the feeling when your kids get older. I felt really old when my daughter turned 40. She will be 42 in February! And my son will turn 39 next month. This old thing sucks. Happy Birthday to your daughter and grand daughter! I have older kids than you, and younger grand kids.

No real killing frost yet. We've had frosts quite a few nights, but my flowers and tomato plants are still hanging in there. Well, we had one frost that touched my cucumbers last month. They would have still survived, but I picked them all and pulled out the plants.

Now I have this image of your wife running along side with a coffee pot! What a woman!

WildRose, I thought I might get her to run along the side, carrying the coffee pot!! That isn't to much to ask is it?!? LOL

Since you mentioned the weather, have you had a killing frost yet? It rained on & off here most of the day, so we went to town to run some errands, & a couple things accomplished outside also. Felt old today, my oldest daughter turned 38, & my oldest grandaughter turned 11. Been wondering how those years passed so fast. PD

You know those really tall tables they have in coffee bars? That might be a good place for the coffee pot. That also might be a good addition to trail classes.

Pour yourself coffee and ride to the next station while drinking it. :grin:

You know those really tall tables they have in coffee bars? That might be a good place for the coffee pot. That also might be a good addition to trail classes.

Pour yourself coffee and ride to the next station while drinking it. :grin:

Jubal, That sounds interesting, but do you suspose the competition, would only be restricted, to real coffee drinkers!?! Seriously, I wouldn't doubt that it has been done some place.

WildRose, We have a bit of control, when we have children, but none when it comes to having grandchildren. But I'm still waiting for one of them to be a serious horselover, & I don't think it is going to happen in my lifetime. But that is okay, as I'll support their interests, whatever it is. PD

Jubal, That sounds interesting, but do you suspose the competition, would only be restricted, to real coffee drinkers!?! Seriously, I wouldn't doubt that it has been done some place.

WildRose, We have a bit of control, when we have children, but none when it comes to having grandchildren. But I'm still waiting for one of them to be a serious horselover, & I don't think it is going to happen in my lifetime. But that is okay, as I'll support their interests, whatever it is. PD

Probably has, with beer.

Probably has, with beer.

Especially here in Wisconsin, I trail rode a group once, I didn't know years ago, they had beer in their saddle bags, & were constantly popping those tabs. This was in a hilly area, so this would have been right up their alley. PD

Hi everyone!

It's been awhile since I've popped in here. I've had an epiphany of sorts with Coco. It started when I had the chance to audit a Buck Brannaman clinic. I learned all sorts of groundwork that transferred easily to under saddle work. I came home an taught it all to Coco, who soon became bored with it all. But I felt like I really needed to be doing all this stuff to "keep her safe". We were getting nowhere fast and I threw in the towel and began to research sending her off to a trainer.

But, the problem was me. I was hurt badly in a riding accident and my problems are 100% mental. Horses like to go forward. I am afraid of "forward" and all that lateral work was driving Coco insane. She was used to trotting for miles on a track daily, not doing piddly little serpentines. I got the offer to ride my old lease pony on a long trail ride through a state park. I took my friend up on her offer. A nice relaxing ride on a trustworthy pony might do me some good.

And it did. I felt 100% safe on Lily and told my friend that we could ride at whatever speed she wanted. My friend was riding an ex-barrel racer, so her "easy canter" turned into a mile long flat out gallop. I just held on to my saddle horn and let Lily fly. We caught up to the barrel horse and went to pass when my friend dropped him into a higher gear and took off faster. I felt Lily drop down about a foot lower to the ground and let loose.

"Great." I said to myself. "I can't stop. I'm staying on, which is a good thing. Now, what did I used to do as a kid when I did this for fun? Ah, yes, bridge my reins, get in a nice 2 point seat, and have fun." Lily, who had been packing lesson kids all summer, was very fit and we caught my friend and passed her easily, then slowed to a stop. I was very, very thankful to be riding a trustworthy horse because it proved to me that I can ride a whole lot better than what I give myself credit for (fear can be crippling). And, going forward (not necessarily at warp speed), is better for the horse.

Yesterday I got on Coco and scrapped all the groundwork, dressage, and riding in circles. I put her on the rail at a trot and just let her go until she found her rhythm. She immediately settled down and relaxed as if to say, "finally! something I'm good at!". We worked on walk/trot making very wide turns, then I took her out of the ring for a short hack down the barn drive way. She had a few tiny spooks, but went well as long as I was relaxed and reassured her. I made the mental note that just because her head is up and her ears are forward doesn't mean she's about to spook and kill me. She is just taking in her surroundings.

So I guess the point of all this is to say that sometimes being forced out of your comfort zone can be a good thing. The less I do, the less I tell myself I am able to do. And on a good note, my friend with the ex-barrel racer offered to take Coco and I out on a few easy walk/trot trail rides. She will be riding Coco, and I will be riding her retired trail pony. That way, I can see what my horse is going to do without actually being on her. Here's to having brave friends :happy0203:

PD, is it so wrong that I've seriously thought about getting a cup holder put on my saddle for my coffee? A cup of coffee on the horn, a box of donuts in the saddle bag, and I think I'd be all set.

Tetonka, what good news! I was just picturing myself as a teen in your place! I used to do that all the time, with or without others. I could just feel your joy! :happy0203:

You say the less you do the less you think you are able to do. You know, that applies to me, too. I think that's my problem.

Tetonka,

I really enjoyed reading your post, sounds like you have made some big strides, that is good to hear, you & Coco, have found a place you can work together, & now grow, that is exciting, makes me wish I still had you youth.

If people can drink beer off a horse, there is no reason, you can't drink coffee off one, now drinking coffee & eating a doughnut at a trot, might be a problem, but sitting along the trail with some & enjoying them is not all together bad idea. Just use your imagination, you'll come up with all kinds of uses for a cup holder on your saddle. Best Wishes, & Happy Trails. PD

Hello everybody! I haven't posted in a good while, life just gets in the way sometimes. All is well here and I am proud to say I have been riding Belle. She has calmed down so much in this last year, it's like I own a different horse. I guess she finally decided life is easy, just relax and enjoy it. Maybe I have developed the same attitude too! Loved reading all your adventures and stories, this is such a wonderful place to visit and I will be back soon!!

Edited by BelleoftheBall

Bell,

Howdy Stranger, great that you have been riding & enjoying yourself, on that good looking mare, you own. I know so well how life can get in the way of things. We are leaving Wednesday afternoon for Texas, to see our daughter & grand kids there, I'm hauling horses out Wednesday morning, to looked after, while we are gone, gives me great piece of mind to put them in good hands. Getting some odds ends finished up before we leave. Time goes by way to fast, must be how I got old so fast. Good to see you posting again. Best Wishes. PD

I agree with PD. Good to see you again, Belle. I'm glad you're riding Belle and things are going along so well.

Nothing new here, except I finally got that light behind the barn. I've had to move the nets back to the trees though...for awhile anyway. It was getting so muddy there. I'll let it freeze up before moving the horses' dining room back again.

The weather has been nice, with a few days of snow and rain mixed in. Winter IS coming, after all. Have a nice trip, PD, and yes, it's nice to have the horses somewhere where you don't have to worry about them.

My grand son, Landon, is having a birthday soon. He'll be 7. I got him a junior metal detector! He'll love it! He uses ours, but it's a little bit big for him. He just loves finding treasures under the ground, like old pieces of metal, pop cans. It's all treasure to him!

Hey So haven't posted in FOREVER but I sold Layce she was a great mare we just DID NOT like eachother... She would ride anywhere I asked but would throw a fit I couldn't load her in my trailer to save my life..

I wanted a horse I can do barrels on for fun no competing.. And a horse I could trail ride with weekly with a new trail group I met....

I have lucky and hes great loads to go anywhere but he has extreme heaves so I don't ride him unless I have to. Hes great no problems as long as he has his meds and he will load and go anywhere.. But I still need to get weight on him hes put on over 300lbs since ive had him but still needs a good 100-150 yet... and MUSCLE hes all flub right now..

SO I sold layce and bought another mare a 9 year old reg arab mare shes great so far ive rode her 3 times but shes totally green only has 90 days on her and only like 15 days this year riding time aside from the 3 times I rode her..

I think shes going to make me an awesome horse I just need to be able to take her OUT of the arena and I just don't have anyone here to ride with that I TRUST incase something happens..

I don't think id have a problem taking her out but ive seen videos of her from a trainer last year and she had crazy blow ups! were thinking it was from her back being out and now shes seen a chiro

Meeker, you sound like me. I totally needed a been there done that horse, so I went out and bought something green broke. :crazy: Take your time with your new girl and you should be ok. Is there anyone that can help you in case you get stuck?

Belle, so glad you're getting riding time in. It's a wonderful feeling when our horses decide to be broke and we can start to enjoy riding.

I rode Coco yesterday and it went ok. She called for her pasture mates and spooked a couple of times, which is out of character for her. I think it's because I haven't been consistent with riding her. She was not barn sour at all when I got her. Instead of driving her forward and working her through the nonsense, I put her on a rather small circle and did lots of transitions to try to keep her attention. I wasn't happy with the ride at all. Next time, I will put on my big girl pants (I know they're around here somewhere) and drive her forward!

I joined a group on another horse forum that's forcing themselves to ride in the cold. I need the accountability. I need to get this horse broke if it's the last thing I do. I've had her almost a year and have made no progress. And she's a sweetheart for the most part.

So, the plan for tomorrow's ride is walk and trot in the ring and then a stroll down the farm driveway. Gotta force myself to do it. That's all there is to it.

I did ride today. It was cold, it started to snow, but I did it. :) I layered up and had the good sense to longe Coco first before getting on. After she got her bucks out on the longe, we had a good ride. We did walk/trot/halt transitions then went for a short hack around the farm. She was a bit spooky near the farm house, but I don't blame her. That's where my trainers dogs came out of nowhere and ambushed us, and she's never forgotten the spot.

I'll try to get another ride in over the weekend, but it will be tough with the family's schedule. I did feel a bit braver today, so I am going to try to stay consistent.

Good for you, tetonka. Sounds like progress to me!

As far as snow, we got about 3 inches overnight, and it's supposed to snow a bit more this morning. It's pretty warm out, though...in the upper 30's, so I'm thinking this will still melt. Deer season starts today, too. Hope the idiot hunters stay away from here. I should say the hunters that are idiots. Not all hunters are idiots.

WildRose,

You had to go & mention that 4 letter word, SNOW!! I'm not ready for it yet. but I know we got some while we were gone, it is gone for now. It was 38 degree whent we got home at 1AM this morning, & colder that here now. It was 55-60 degrees when we left Arkansas at 9;30 yesterday morning, so I'm now a bit spoiled. We put on over 2900 miles driving to Texas & then up to Arkansas & then the last 800 home. IT IS GOOD TO BE HOME AGAIN.

Tetonka, Great that you are getting out even in the cold weather, that makes you hardy & a chance to work with Coco in all kinds of weather conditions. I've still haven't got my horses home, as I board them out ant time we are gone. But in the next couple hours they should be back home.

meeker, I wish you well with your new mare, give yourself time to bond with her a bit, the feeling of trust is very important, & some horses require it more so than others. I've had my best luck with mares, I own a nice gelding right now, but he tends to be a wimp, & sometimes he has soundness issues. He was limping befor hauled him out to board him, he hurt is up leg muscle some how. I board him with a friend & he agreed to put linament precribed by vet, while I was gone, so I got lucky. He should be back to his oldself when I get him in next couple hours, he generally heals up fast.

PD

Edited by Peppers Dad

PD, hope the gelding is sound again. Wow, you sure did put on a lot of miles. Hope you had fun!

I know I always worry so much with every little ache or pain they get. Rosie had a swollen eye the other day, but I put a hot compress on it in the evening, and it was all better by the next morning. I think she might have just gotten some hay scraps in it.

We didn't get too much more snow. It's cold now. I went to Walmart this morning, and my car thermometer said 17 degrees! BRRRRR! But the sun is shining now, which always makes it feel better. It's supposed to get into the upper 30's later this week again.

Horses are fine, eating and pooping. What they do best!

WildRose,

Just got horses back home, now things are getting back to normal, I enjoyed seeing our daughter & grandkids, we spent 3 days with them, many of our past trips to Texas haven't always been pleasant, but our daughter is doing well there now, that gives us a great deal of satisfaction. The time spent in Arkansas often gets long for me, we were there about 5-6 days, but my MIL is 95, & you never know when will be the last time, so it is mixture of good versus boredom for me.

It was 28 degrees when I went to pick up horses, & I must say my gelding is walking much better, was even running & bucking in pasture according to my friend. But Royal has generally healed fairly quickly in the past. Well I better get a few things done. Later PD

I'm glad your daughter is doing well, PD. And I hope you MIL makes it to 100!

The forecast is for 43 degrees here today. It's kind of nice to have warm weather to break up the cold. But, the cold is coming. Glad Royal is doing better. Rosie had a limp a few weeks ago....maybe a month. She got over it, then when the farrier was last out she found a bruise on her sole that wasn't there before. Must have been what was causing the limp. Probably an abcess that just reabsorbed.